Hunting near Kitchen Creek

East Coast

Reaction score
Well I finally went hunting in California.  Per my research I ended up in the Kitchen Creek area of San Diego county.  Although I flushed some quail in the first 10 minutes (I missed since I'm way out of practice), that was it for action.

The main problem, I think, was the group of 4, I can only assume, illegals I ran into scurrying through the woods.  Probably pressured the birds in the area I was hunting.  I was also very unhappy to see pockets of accumulated litter in bushes and under trees where illegals probably camp on their trek north.

Is this common for hunting in far south california?

Otherwise, it defintely felt good to get out again and I definitely plan on doing a lot more this season.  I'll continue to look for new areas and suggestions are always welcome.

EC

GOBBLEMASTER

Reaction score
welcome to the joys of southern california public hunting.  you never know what you're going to see.

try the palomar area.  you don't have to worry about running into the same problem, and there is some decent hunting up that way.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
East Coast- I don't hunt your neck of the woods, but up here in L.A. county, what you saw is not out of the ordinary. Don't let it discourage you though. Get away from the roads and you will get away from 99% of the undesirables.      Scott

Bill in SD

Reaction score
Hi East Coast where were you in the Kitchen Creek Area?  Were you down towards the Cibitts Flat Campgrounds or higher up towards Sunrise Highway?

I think the illegals use Kitchen Creek as a thoroughfare.  Although I have never seen any illegals in the San Diego backcountry.

Bill

East Coast

Reaction score
Hi Bill,

I was actually further down, about 2 miles north of the Cameron fire station.  If those other areas offer good Quail hunting I'd like to try them out.

I'm planning to hunt again this weekend.  Let me know if you are interested.  I was planning some other areas in the Laguna Mtns.

EC

songdog

Reaction score
I'd echo Scott - get more than a quarter mile from a road and 99% of the population of CA disappears.  Most are too lazy to get out of their trucks.  

The Kitchen Creek area is frequented by those running from the Border Patrol.  I've talked to them a number of times while hunting down there with a friend.  They've actually always been really nice and interested in what we're hunting and if we've seen anyone.  They catch people on a daily basis.

Bill in SD

Reaction score
East Coast that sounds like fun.  I have plans for a pheasant hunt in Bakersfield on Saturday, and will look for houses on Sunday.

I should have a free Saturday or Sunday in December.

Shoot me an email at Billiamsd@hotmail.com the next time you want to go.

Take care
Bill

East Coast

Reaction score
Have fun in Bakersfield and good luck house hunting!  I'll definitely keep in touch via e-mail for a December hunt.

EC

Top Bottom