hunting near quail lake?

dazco

Reaction score
A couple people recently told me that a known quail hunting area which also has guzzlers is up road "N2" about 3 miles east of I-5 on highway 138 near quail lake. But on the firearms closure map it shows that area in blue, which according to the map's legend says it is an area for "possible future development".

My question is, who is right? Is this area ok for quail hunting or not? One guy i know personally told me he's hunted there. He didn't have any luck, but the place is so close to me that i'd like to try it when season opens. But i don't want to get cited or have my gun taken.

Thanks,-Dale

(Edited by dazco at 4:38 pm on Mar. 9, 2002)

Thonzberry

Reaction score
dazco I know the area your talking about. They might put up some type of developmant, who knows but as far as Hunting goes if its the same place I'm thinking of you should be able to hunt there.

Mojave

Reaction score
Dazco, I seem to remember Jesse's site having a copy of that map posted, but I can't seem to locate it now. The beat-up copy I have is dated in the mid-90s, and was published by the "LA County Fish and Game Commission". I haven't been able to locate them (if they still exist) for an updated version, either. Is your map newer, and if so, where did you find it? Thanks!

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Mojave- The mid 90's copy is the current??map. If I remember right we live in the same general area. The Gunshop in Lancaster has them for $3 or $4. If not The Lancaster or Palmdale sheriff stations have an address that you can order one from.         Scott

dazco

Reaction score
Apparently the 94' map IS the newest version according to replies i got to another post here i did a while ago. I got the map here at Jesse's.

Heres the map from Jesse's server......

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/images/L-...ot-map-1994.jpg

Ypu'll notice  that the area i'm talking about is blue. I plan to hunt there when season opens because i have read and heard from a few people that it is open to hunting. Mybe it wasn't when the map was made in 94'. That could be why it's blue on the map, because blue stands for "possible futue development". Since the map is 8 years old, that "future development" may have long since happened !

The map is truly outdated even tho the gov't apparently still sells it as the current map because it shows 3 target shooting areas in the Angeles forest that i know for a fact have long since been closed to target shooting.

This just goes to show you how unbelievably lax the powers that be are when it comes to doing thier part for hunters, who not only pay taxes like everyone else, but pay for licences to participate in a sport that seems all but unrecognized by our gov't. Where the H does the money for hunting licences go? Probably to PETA, eh? LOL

-Dale

songdog

Reaction score
If there was a change in the status of an area and the map was not updated to reflect it... I'd love to see how easy it would be to prosecute someone who violates it?

If that map is not the authority (published by those who would be givin you the ticket), then what is?

dazco

Reaction score
I'm with ya !!! But that just seems to be the way the gov't deals with hunters. They just don't give a f**k. And while it may seem tough to prosecute someone, i tend to think they'd find a way.

Anyway, thats what i was told......maybe there is a new map. Someone here assured me that it IS the current one tho. Maybe they DON'T sell them anymore even tho i was told they do. If they don't, that would be how they'd prosecute you. They'd just say the map is outdated and that ignorance of the law is no excuse, insisting that it's your responsibility, the hunter, to find out what is and isn't legal. Thats what makes me so mad.........they make it next to impossible to find the facts, then expect you to always be legal in anything you do. Again, hunters are treated like 2nd class citizens.

Sorry.........rant over.

-Dale

ps..maybe when Gray Davis is gone we'll have someone who will listen and consider hunter's rights. His anti gun stance sure hasn't helped.

rlwright

Reaction score
Isn't that area called Davidson Ranch, it's in the DFG guide to hunting quail. If we're on the same wave length, I've hunted there twice, got sloppy seconds both times.

Mojave

Reaction score
I guess my beat-up copy IS current! I'll probably drive out to Lancaster and try to pick up a new copy, just to appear up to date. As to the organizational abilities of the US Gov't, consider the issuance, today, of student visas to two of the 9-11 terrorists, mailed to the Florida flight school where they learned their deadly trade. Need I say more? Dale: The only concern I would have over by Quail Lake, is the same one I mentioned in the other post. Just make sure the land you hunt is either public, or owned by someone that has granted you permission. When I hunt private land that I don't own, I first attempt to contact the owner, then I visit any resident within earshot, and discuss my intent to hunt the area. I do this well in advance of my hunt. I know this may sound like overkill, but 90% of the people I have contacted in the boonies understand and accept hunting. I don't need the trouble from the other 10%. The only times I have been challenged by law enforcement while hunting, has been on my own property! By the way - If your hunt isn't successful, the aqueduct crossing on the 138 East of Quail Lake is a killer for catfish.

dazco

Reaction score
rlwright,

What do u mean by sloppy seconds?

mojave,

Thanks for the cat info. I'll definatly be trying that !

-Dale

dazco

Reaction score
By the way........how do you even know if you're on private land if there are no fences and there aren't any houses real close by? For example, when i went up road N2, theres a couple dirt roads off to the left right where the road sign says "end of county maintained road". I can't imagine that would be private, but then who knows. Theres often nothing to hint as to whether or not it's public land.

-Dale

rlwright

Reaction score
Both times I hunted there the covey had already been busted the day before and all I saw where a couple of singles flushing wildly.

dazco

Reaction score
Well, i plan to be there opening day so maybe i'll get lucky........

rlwright

Reaction score
If your hunting were I was, I saw the birds in the canyon near the bobsled slope both times.

dazco

Reaction score
I don't know that area well at all, having only been there once. And all i did is go up N2 for a few minutes. So i don't know where "bobsled" is. I was thinking about those dirts roads i mentioned where the sign is that denotes the end of maintained road.

Is it better to look for them in the dense brush areas like the dirt roads i mentioned, or bushes on the open grassy areas? This will be my first quail season, so i haven't the slightest idea of what to do or where to go.

-Dale

dazco

Reaction score
Also, i've been told leibre(sp?) mountain, which is just down 138 another couple miles is another spot. Tho the high desert hunt club is right near there. which brings up another thing i was wondering about......the hunt club releases birds for canned hunts. I wonder if many of them that arent shot leave the property and make for better quail hunting in the surrounding areas? Am i just being naieve?
And by the way, i also heard there are guzzlers in the area.

-Dale

rlwright

Reaction score
On openeing day they will be out in the open partying near the water. A general rule of thumb for hunting in those areas is to walk the edges of the open areas where they meet the thick brush. Quail are never to far from heavey cover. It's kind of like Bass fishing, work the edges of cover. If theres a big open grassy area with a low thick bush in it about 100 yards from the heavey cover, it wouldn't be uncommon for them to be holding in it.

Mojave

Reaction score
Ditto on the edges of open areas, and near available water. If you have a fairly rugged vehicle, you can scout dirt roads and trails slowly, and don't start hunting until you actually see the birds. If after a few hours you haven't jumped them, you can pick likely spots and try calling. Carry a light pair of binoculars, and you can often spot a sentry on top of a bush or post, above where they are feeding or resting. The BLM publishes a series of maps called "Surface Management Status Guides", which indicate public and private land ownership. I have found these to be most useful in id'ing public lands, where I am absolutely sure to be legal.I looked over my copies, and I don't see that area covered - It is right south of their Tehachapi guide. Maybe a map expert on the forum can tell you where to get a map covering Quail Lake, if you are concerned.

OC hunter

Reaction score
Oops!!
According to the map, I was in the RED area in January when I went hunting.  Should I turn myself in?

JBarn3

Reaction score
Looks like you'd better head off for Canada. Never know what our lovely warden's will do to ya.:bounce-red-fire:

Top Bottom