Hunting on American Indian reservations

Richard

Reaction score
With all the maps that I have been looking at and from the information I have gathered. I have not been able to find out if you can hunt on an indian reservation  Who do you ask permission to do so.  Also, no offense to any Native Americans, is it worth the trouble to even consider hunting land on a reservation. I know that it is not public land and Indian reservations are considered their own nation. Has anyone here hunted on a reservation in the United States , curious about CA.

Fubar

Reaction score
I have hunted for doves and quail on Colorado River Indian Reservation property for doves and quail. You can hunt for waterfowl there too. I believe only the Indians are allowed to hunt deer there. It is a very popular place for dove. There are lots of Indian reservations around Lake Henshaw that have a lot of game, but I dont know of any that let the public hunt there. I know the San Carlos Apache Indians in AZ allow hunting on their land. They have trophy Elk. The javalina hunting is good there also. Maybe we should start a list of names of Indian tribes that allow hunting and phone numbers for contact.         Fubar

paulc

Reaction score
richard, from past experiences most reservations have a fish and game dept to get ahold of.. they have their own rules.. from what i have been a part of their land is way better managed for quality animals than our state parks... they do not have the beuracracy that we are saddled with and they do they do not have to please the politicians, environmentalists, the people that have never even been in the outdoors.. if there is a specific reservation contact them and ask for their game and fish dept.
good luck.

lostagain

Reaction score
The Colorado River Indian Tribes (CRIT) has there own Fish and Game dept in Parker, AZ. It is close enough if you are comming from LA. Doves and Quail is all I have hunted there but the river is on the reservation.

californiacoyotes

Reaction score
i've been trying now for two years to get info for the hualapai reservation in AZ and they always tell me the info will be coming in the mail, but i never get anything. i even have had a friend in kingman check it out for me and he gets nowhere too. suppose to be some great hunting but i haven't found the magic words to get hunting info yet. i'm not giving up though as i know it will pay off eventually.

cc

prohunter

Reaction score
the reservation I live by can hunt any game big or small all year round. the only problem is you have to be with an Indian from that reservation. the other thing is if general deer season is over you can still hunt on the res. but whatever you harvest stays on the reservation. i think that each reservation can set there own rules. contact the tribal council at the reservation you want to hunt.

OC hunter

Reaction score
I have also hunted on C.R.I.T land.  They great thing is that you don't need an Arizona or California hunting license, just a C.R.I.T. license.  Since the Quail season opens a week earlier than in California, we actually could hunt quail in California a week early.  (The Indian Reservation is mostly in Arizona with a small portion in California).
  I have asked about hunting at several other reservations with no success.  Each property is completely different, you have to ask.  I have some co-workers who regularly go to the reservation by Yuma for Dove and Quail, they love it.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
The Colorado River Indian Tribes, (CRIT),own the 330,000 acres of property between Parker, Arizona to just north of Interstate 10 near Blythe. No state license is required, but hunters must have a seasonal permit from CRIT, which is $45. The permit allows hunters to hunt quail, ducks, and small game in season.

CRIT hunting permits are available at Woody's Gas and Snack Parker, AZ (520) 669-8792 1001 Fiesta Ave. Woody's II Poston, AZ (520) 662-4801 Mohave Rd. June's Unique Parker, AZ (520) 669-8883 813 Kofa Ave. Hidden Valley Resort Blythe, CA (760) 922-6745 100 Colorado River Rd. Lost Lake Resort Lost Lake, CA (760) 664-4413 U.S. Highway 95. Mc's Market Parker Dam, AZ (520) 667-2231 58565 Riverside Dr. River Lagoon Resort. 50078 Parker Poston Rd. Ehrenberg, AZ (520) 923-7942. Yellow Mart Blythe, CA (760) 922-4215 228 Hobson Way Water Wheel Resort Blythe, CA (760) 922-3863 29900 Hwy. 95. CRIT Fish & Game Office Parker, AZ (520) 669-9285 2100 Mutahar.

Above the Colorado River Indian Tribes is the Fort Mojave Indian Reservation, extending from Needles north to the Arizona-Nevada border. This reservation has land on both sides of the river and you can obtain a hunting permit to hunt there. PH# 520-330-3000.

Forget about the Cabazon Indian Land near Cabazon. They have some dandy quail, varmint and dove land. I've approached the tribal council several times and they claim their land is sacred so no hunting. I pointed out that hunting was a whole lot more scacred to their elders than building fashion malls and bingo parlors.

huntducks

Reaction score
I have hunted San Carlos in AZ. for Big Game & birds now you need Bill Gates type money for a BG hunt, stay away from the areas that say NWA.

The Jicarilla reservation in NM use to be a very reasonable hunt back in the 70's for huge elk & mule deer now you need Bill Gates money there also just for a meat hunt.

The CRIT hunting along the river is still a very good buy.

The last time I hunted SC in AZ. for waterfowl 3yrs ago they let you use lead shot.

QALHNTR

Reaction score
As previous posts attest, I'm a big-time user of the CRIT lands for both hunting and fishing (you can catch trout near the dam at Deer Lake in August when it's 115 degrees outside).  The dove opener is pretty busy, but you can manage.  I'm probably going to murder the spelling, but on the shores of Lake Havasu is the Chemuivie (?) reservation.  They are a little more expensive than the CRIT lands, but the quail hunting is AWESOME.  We head the boat to each canyon and hike on in.  The coveys are HUGE.  OK - one less secret spot.  Enjoy.

Richard

Reaction score
I wanted to thank everyone for the advice.  I will try the CRIT one day.  I will be in  the Valley this Sunday.  Did you guys leave me  any dove or quail? Hope I can get some.

WingSetter

Reaction score
Hunted the Colorado Indian Res this year.  THere are lots of Ducks on the river.  We bought are Permit at Woody's Gas and Snack Parker.  Go see the lady she will give you the run down of the place.  She has a lot of knowledge and will direct you on where to hunt.

Hook

Reaction score
I never have hunted the CRIT lands before and all this is excellent information. I am looking forwards to next years season already.

Thanks,

WingSetter, nice avatar !!

(Edited by Hook at 9:03 pm on Jan. 29, 2002)

rlwright

Reaction score
The CRIT land is the first place I hunted about 17 years ago. I actually didn't start hunting Ca until about 6 years ago, even though I've lived in the san gabrial valley my whole life. Doves, Ducks, and Quail are very plentiful on the reservation. I've always thought that you needed a federal Duck stamp for ducks and geese though. In the last 6 years the hunting license has gone from 15$ a year to 45$ a year and the hunting pressure has increased exponentially. We used to buy a license for 15$ and hunt the whole year without ever seeing another hunter except on the dove opener. It was a much better deal then hunting Ca, and we limited out on ducks and quail almost every day we went. Theres also pheasants that they have recently started planting. You can hunt those by permit only. Theres thousands of coyotes and rattlsnakes.
  I would definatly recomend making a trip there, the hunting is great. It will be mostly jump shooting for the ducks along the canals and drainage ditches. Carry quail and duck loads with you at all times, you never know what you will jump. I think Quail season is still open up there. Due to school I didn't get a chance to hunt there this year( for the first time), but my uncle made some trips this year and did good on quail and ducks.

Maverick

Reaction score
I was on a fire in Temecula in 2000 on the Pechanga Res. That place is loaded with quail I saw them everday and I was there for over a week. They were big coveys too. I don't know if they let you hunt there though.

Top Bottom