hunting over bait

bigmandude

Reaction score
I have noticed in some of the pictures here that deer are at corn feeders.  i know it is legal to use feeders during the season in some states but not here.  i think it is more of a challenge to have to find the deer rather than wait for them to "come to the feed bag"  

it is however legal to hunt over rye grass food plots here.  mississippi considered legalizing hunting over bait last year but ruled it out for fear of spreading disease among the herd.  

i was just wondering where it is legal and if so, how many of you hunt that way?

bigmandude

Reaction score
I have noticed in some of the pictures here that deer are at corn feeders.  i know it is legal to use feeders during the season in some states but not here.  i think it is more of a challenge to have to find the deer rather than wait for them to "come to the feed bag"  

it is however legal to hunt over rye grass food plots here.  mississippi considered legalizing hunting over bait last year but ruled it out for fear of spreading disease among the herd.  

i was just wondering where it is legal and if so, how many of you hunt that way?

gtk

Reaction score
And, let the flaming begin..........

I'm not touching this  subject..

(Edited by gtk at 11:35 am on Oct. 5, 2001)

gtk

Reaction score
And, let the flaming begin..........

I'm not touching this  subject..

(Edited by gtk at 11:35 am on Oct. 5, 2001)

bigmandude

Reaction score
aw, come on gtk, your a local boy and must have some opinion.

i'm not talking bout who is wrong or right here, only who does or doesnt do it, and why?

he,he,he

bigmandude

Reaction score
aw, come on gtk, your a local boy and must have some opinion.

i'm not talking bout who is wrong or right here, only who does or doesnt do it, and why?

he,he,he

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Ok,  It's illegal to hunt over or even close to bait in PA.  Make sure you know what's in your area here because they can nail you if a neighboring property has a feeder.  You can't hunt an area until the residue of the bait has be gone for thirty days prior.

I've set my cameras out both ways, with and with out baid.  I use Purina deer chow or something like that.  Just throw out a couple handfuls.  I got tired of waiting 2-3 week for a roll of film to develop.

Todd

(Edited by ToddP at 4:19 pm on Oct. 5, 2001)

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Ok,  It's illegal to hunt over or even close to bait in PA.  Make sure you know what's in your area here because they can nail you if a neighboring property has a feeder.  You can't hunt an area until the residue of the bait has be gone for thirty days prior.

I've set my cameras out both ways, with and with out baid.  I use Purina deer chow or something like that.  Just throw out a couple handfuls.  I got tired of waiting 2-3 week for a roll of film to develop.

Todd

(Edited by ToddP at 4:19 pm on Oct. 5, 2001)

gtk

Reaction score
Alright then...

No, I don't do it. Cant say that I would if they legalized it either.

But, too each his own.  If someone wants to do it, I don't have a problem with it.

I have seen many a bulletin board fill up over the "dreaded baiting" issue...  Like msdeer.com

btw.. good luck this weekend, it'll be the first chance i've gotten to go so far..

gtk

Reaction score
Alright then...

No, I don't do it. Cant say that I would if they legalized it either.

But, too each his own.  If someone wants to do it, I don't have a problem with it.

I have seen many a bulletin board fill up over the "dreaded baiting" issue...  Like msdeer.com

btw.. good luck this weekend, it'll be the first chance i've gotten to go so far..

Possum

Reaction score
South Carolina has two management zones.  Upper state and Lower state.  The wildlife dept. runs the upper state and you cannot bait.  Planted fields are okay.  Lower state you can do whatever you want to do.  Corn, Soybeans, Wheat, whatever.....I hunt lower state and never baited until this year.  It is not just putting out corn and popping whatever comes in.  If you do that you will end up with 1.5 year old bucks all the time.  The secret is to back up 300-400 yds from the baited area, just like you do on a corn field, and see the 3.5+ year old bucks in daylight.  I hardly ever hear of a huge buck killed on a corn pile with his head in it.

Possum

Reaction score
South Carolina has two management zones.  Upper state and Lower state.  The wildlife dept. runs the upper state and you cannot bait.  Planted fields are okay.  Lower state you can do whatever you want to do.  Corn, Soybeans, Wheat, whatever.....I hunt lower state and never baited until this year.  It is not just putting out corn and popping whatever comes in.  If you do that you will end up with 1.5 year old bucks all the time.  The secret is to back up 300-400 yds from the baited area, just like you do on a corn field, and see the 3.5+ year old bucks in daylight.  I hardly ever hear of a huge buck killed on a corn pile with his head in it.

davered1

Reaction score
It is legal here in B.C. Canada,I do it because I can,and love to see deer and everything else that feed off of them every time i'm out.It helps pass the time,the chances of a BIG buck to come in to a feeder in the daylight is Very slim.I personally have never seen one yet(5 years over feeders).The purpose of my feeders are to localize doe population through the rut.Where ther are does in the rut there are the big boys.

The deer here don't even use feeders here regularily until around snow fall.I do keep them full year round but they see much more use (so does my wallet) through out the winter.

1 question, Is hunting over a feeder and food plot not the same thing??

There seems to be the idea that it is different?

my 2 cents

Gator

Reaction score
I agree with Possum,
It is legal to bait in Florida, but I have never killed a decent buck over a feeder. I have gotten nice pics of good bucks feeding at night but not in the daytime. I hardly ever see good bucks on my green fields in the daylight for that matter, except during the rut.  The deer in this area have been dog hunted up until about 2 years ago and they are still very cautious. I have had success like Possum said moving away from the feeding area and catching the bigger ones waiting for the cover of darkness to come in and feed.

prohunter

Reaction score
i am pretty sure it is illegal here in Calif. BUTTTTTTTT i have been known a time or two to frequent dead animals (died of natural causes) in hope of catching a bear or pig around. i mean not me but i have heard!

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 In Missouri it is legal to bait but you must remove all bait from the area 10 days before the opening of the season.
 You can hunt over any type of food source that is growing or a feild that may have been harvested,but I never do because the deer ussualy come in to these places after dark,but sitting back in the woods on a trail leading to these places can be productive,In this area the conservation puts out crops for the wild game themselves.

Drayton

Reaction score
Here in Fl, you must have maintained a "feeder site" for months prior to the season. How you prove that is a good question. I have been putting out game blocks and salt and mineral licks since the end of last season to attract deer to a large area.

The deer are comming but mostly for the clover! Thanks to the game trail cam, I am finding that coons, and foxes love the game blocks more than the deer! Next year I will put in some food plots.

MNHNTR

Reaction score
If it's legal in your state then take advantage or don't. Prohunter I see nothing wrong with hunting near a natural kill.   I dont believe that is illegal in Ca.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom