Hunting Quail after it rains?

Thonzberry

Reaction score
I have been hunting for over 25 yrs. and I have found that hunting quail after it rains seems to always bring out more quail. Last season every time I went out I got quail and I hunt quail about 2 or 3 times a week, last year I did anyways. What do you all think?

Whoadog

Reaction score
 My uncle told me years ago that rain and fog brought out the quail because they don't have to worry as much about aerial predators, makes sense to me.  Some of my best shoots have been in the fog.  It was overcast today and I seen plenty of birds.

brian

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
I hunted in the Cajon Pass area off Oak Hill Road the morning after a snow storm and did well but spent most of our time digging through the snow to find the downed birds. I bought a dog shortly after that.

(Edited by wingman at 7:05 pm on Oct. 29, 2001)

tinner

Reaction score
would the rain cause water to acumulate in puddles around roosting areas. it seems this might make the birds hold in an area something like me on superbowl sunday with an icechest next to the couch

songdog

Reaction score
I've never noticed it with the birds too much but the predators definitely.  We don't get much inclimate weather here in SoCal but on the rare occasion when we get a few cold, nasty days strung together, you can bet there are hungry varmints when the weather breaks.

I've noticed this in particular with bobcats...

Mojave

Reaction score
From my experience managing them on my property, quail don't particularly like to get their feathers wet. They dont move around to feed as much when it is raining. They also don't like to go to the roost without something in their crops, so they will feed in the evening, even in a medium rain. They seem to covey-up quicker, and not spread out as much in wet weather. I actually avoid hunting quail in inclement weather, partly because it puts an added stress on the coveys that I depend upon for recreation, but also 'cause I don't much care for the discomfort. Save that for duck hunting!

JustBob

Reaction score
If the rain is magic, tommorow would be the day. Its been raining pretty steady here in Hesperia since about 330. I would say probably around .2" so far.

Top Bottom