Hunting Rabbits with Dogs in CA

CWilliams

Reaction score
Hello all I'm a transplanted Mississippi boy and I'm trying to see if you can use hounds to hunt rabbits in CA I'm thinking of going to Grizzly Island to bag a couple but want to let my beagles run...thats' the most fun to me anyway I think I'd rather listen to the dogs run than bag a rabbit anyway any help is appreciated..also I live in Oakdale and am wondering if there are any areas with rabbits worth hunting out there? Thank you again

Thonzberry

Reaction score
CWilliams. Welcome to Jesse's the best place on the web.  About hunting rabbit with dogs,as far as I know you can. my grandfather trained a short hair to hunt rabbits, the funny thing was when the dog found one he would start to bark and chase the rabbit right in front of him and then there was a BANG, and down went the rabbit. How he trained that dog to do that was amazing. As far as to your area, I don't know any spots.Just hang on a few and one of the members will post something in your area. Good Luck

Wild Turk

Reaction score
I have 2 Beagles and have knoocked the cottontails dead at Grizzly.  You are right, the sound a Beagle makes when chasing rabbits is pretty unforgettable.  No matter how dumb those hounds are (dont get me wrong, I have owned 5 of them and love them to death), they are truly geniuses at finding some wily cottontail who thinks he can hide.

If you see a tall guy with an Over/Under hunting cottontails with two Beagles at grizzly, come by and say Hi.  I will show you where to find them!

Good luck

Advertisement

Top Bottom