Hunting Radios

Marty

Reaction score
Jesse has done a lot of research over the last couple of years on FRS radios.  There's a lot of information to pour through.
I have not purchased a set of FRS yet.  I am actually leaning more toward the ham radio realm.  I have not gotten off my tail to get the novice license.  
What is everyone else using in the field?  Or, do you prefer to stay away from the chatter and regroup if anything has to be said?  

Richard Webb

Reaction score
I have a Four Wheel pop-up camper on a short bed Chevy, and there was room in between the stove & bulkhead for the Yaesu FT-840.  That little radio gives me world wide communications, however the only time that I used a Ham rig for an emergency was back in the late 70s when I backed my Blazer down a narrow jeep road right off the edge.  I called out on 40 meters to a guy back east, and he called back to Nevada.  The next morning a posse came into Huntoon Spring to see how I was doning.  Rememger that now-a-days a Cel Phone is the best method.  Below is a picture of the FT-840:

(Edited by Richard Webb at 2:03 pm on Mar. 14, 2001)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Hey Marty,

Ham license is the way to go, I got mine a few moons back. KD6FKD. I beleive I'm a tech plus or was, new rules changed it I think last year.

I've got a mish mash of HAM radios and commercial radios I use. Benndix King and Motoroal MT1000 VHF handhelds. Mobiles are Motorola and Fujitsu. I need to break down and get me one of them dual banders. I was looking real hard at ADIs dual band handhelds over XMAS. Richard has a nice rig there in that pic. Is that HF Richard?

Anygbody else a HAM?

Marty

Reaction score
I hadn't looked at ADI's.  I was concentrating on Icom, Yeasu, and Alinco; in that order.  Looking for a deal, I was checking bids on eBay.  People were running used radios up to retail prices.  Crazy.  For that, I'll run down to HRO and pick up a new one.

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Yes, it's HF, and I have it installed in my Four Wheel Pop-Up Camper.  A picture is attached at the bottom of this message.  I'll start another thread about my Base Station.  I have a 10 year old boy, and wonder if FRS Radio would be good for huntng?  He probably doesn't want to hear from me! Are you Jesse?  If so, you really have a kool web site.  I really enjoy surfing this one.  My free photo hosting is only for 30 days, so it's up to you weither to save the maps?  Some times I wonder if those hunting spots can stand up to more pressure?  But on the other hand, I like to see these could be final days of hunting enjoyed by everyone.

Richard - KD6FB

B

boneweary

I carry an Icom T7-a dualbander.  With it, I can hit 2-meter repeaters, 440 repeaters, simplex on both bands, crossband through my Kenwood 733 in my truck, and, since mine has been modified, I have the FRS freqs programmed in, so I can tune into them as well (I only use low power here to stay compliant)

overdrawn

Reaction score
Just another ham (n6rsp) you guys should check and see if they still hold the TRW swap meet in Hermosa...years ago use to be good used radios there sometime around the second or third weekend of the month. Also General Dynamics had a good one in Ontario, just up from the I-10 off Millekin. Otherwise guess it's HRO! anyway happy hunting, old ham friend of mine always uses handheld 2m rigs simplex.
2m is really all anyone needs, or like someone else said cell phone...but cell phones dont always get out of some of those ridges and cuts
To all Happy Hunts!

K

Km5uk

Another ham here.  I use 2 mtr HT for staying in contact while hunting. I have mobile in my Jeep and Velcro the ht to the gas tank of Honda ATV.  I have a 5/8 wave motorola ant fixed to the back of rack on ATV.  Much more range that FRS.  And i throw up a 20 mtr VEE in a tree when camping in colorado each year.  Happy hunting  Mike

kinglongshanks

Reaction score
A new Ham(again) Tech.+ .  Studying to become a General, then Extra.  Use an Icom-746 base station.  Nothing mobile yet.  Use  Motorola FRS.
:yackin:

(Edited by kinglongshanks at 1:18 pm on Sep. 13, 2001)

Marty

Reaction score
Questions:  (not a personal attack on anyone)

Is it really necessary to have a wiz-bang FRS with privacy channels when out in the forest?  

Is there ever any interference?  

Could privacy channels hamper communication with other persons not familiar with the radio operation, or in another group that you wish to speak to?

grizz

Reaction score
Marty I've got a couple FRS radios.  We do a lot of fishing and hunting near home and town.  We get others on the main channels sometimes.  But not much when were aways from town.  Our radios do have the privacy channles and we usually use one.  I'am sure we could get by without the privacy codes but it dose give us a lot more options if we need.    

Latest Posts

Top Bottom