Hunting rekindled

sabbathu

Reaction score
Hello all. New to the forum, and sort of new (again) to hunting.

I live in SoCal and I am in my late 40's. I used to hunt with my dad when I was a kid. I would follow him around the Mojave desert with my .410 and he with his Winchester 12 gauge. Cottontail, jackrabbit, dove, and quail were the usual hunts. I remember his orange vest full of game and he'd let me carry around a couple of rabbit or quail while we hunted around. He passed away when I was 12, but not before he brought home his one and only buck from Frazier Park. That was his trophy moment in life (besides his family, I'm sure).

Well, after he died, I didn't have anyone else to take me out hunting and the tradition died with him. His guns got carried up into the attic, and there they waited for me for 35 years.

Admittedly, due to the pandemic, my wife and I began discussing guns and we agreed that we should have them available here in our house. So, I decided to climb up into my mom's attic and bring down the two 12 gauges, two 20 gauges, one .308, and one .357 revolver. Surprisingly, they were all in decent shape except for the Winchester 37A. It had rusted and lost a lot of its bluing. I cleaned them up and off we went to the range. Having all these guns around me and only paper and steel to shoot at seemed like only half the fun. Then I heard about the hunter-ed class online, and it was all downhill from there. Got my license, got my upland bird validation, and now working on deer tag(s). Also, after doing a lot of research regarding ammo laws here in CA, I learned that shooting steel through these old shotguns wasn't the best idea, so I bought me some bismuth shells, and a new Remington 870 12 gauge.

So, my recent hunts have been up in Kern BLM land in the Movaje Desert and up in the Angeles National Forest. I've seen a few jacks but couldn't get my bead on them quick enough. Scouted Frazier Park last weekend and almost ran over a huge jackrabbit trying to cross the road near one of the interior valleys there.

Need to practice more. Need to research more. Need to learn more.

I mean, I hunted a lot with my dad when I was a kid, but its different now that its just me.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to learn a lot from you all.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum sabbathu, that’s A great and perfect introduction.
Every time a new hunter from so cal joins all I can think is about good luck! I know it can very tough after down there years on the forum Unless u are very savvy like some of our so cal members u got it down and are very successful, years of experience!
Do not live in Cali anymore so I can’t really help u as far as hunting down there, but if u ever head to NorCal then I have some hunting experience, knowledge and places to hit up but mine are all archery related because I am strictly and archer. But anything to do with archery very knowledgeable and experienced that I can help with. Use to be a gunner till I discovered my true passion Of being a archer and bowhunter. Q
But there’s a lot of members here that can guide u along journey. Good luck, look forward to your future Hunting adventure Stories, and we like a lot of pics here on jho....lol
One thing u didn’t mention besides have a lot of guns I hope u have a Gun safe or gun locks or trigger locks with family around, stay safe, stay alive!.......tra

essmanfam2

Reaction score
Welcome sabbathu! I hunt mostly in Kern and neighboring counties for upland and small game. We usually do D8/9 tags for deer, but honestly, that's mostly camping and some hiking with a heavy gun. OnX Hunting Maps is a tremendous tool to use for learning new areas and helping with private/public land boundaries. We have a tremndous treasure out here in public land that i love to take advantage of!

sabbathu

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum sabbathu, that’s A great and perfect introduction.
Every time a new hunter from so cal joins all I can think is about good luck! I know it can very tough after down there years on the forum Unless u are very savvy like some of our so cal members u got it down and are very successful, years of experience!
Do not live in Cali anymore so I can’t really help u as far as hunting down there, but if u ever head to NorCal then I have some hunting experience, knowledge and places to hit up but mine are all archery related because I am strictly and archer. But anything to do with archery very knowledgeable and experienced that I can help with. Use to be a gunner till I discovered my true passion Of being a archer and bowhunter. Q
But there’s a lot of members here that can guide u along journey. Good luck, look forward to your future Hunting adventure Stories, and we like a lot of pics here on jho....lol
One thing u didn’t mention besides have a lot of guns I hope u have a Gun safe or gun locks or trigger locks with family around, stay safe, stay alive!.......tra
Thank you TRA! I will definitely hit you up if I'm planning a trip up there.
I do have a locking gun cabinet, but not an actual safe. It's locked in our bedroom but not people proof. Handguns are trigger locked, but not the rifles. Thanks for the safety advice. Will definitely think harder about that.

Welcome sabbathu! I hunt mostly in Kern and neighboring counties for upland and small game. We usually do D8/9 tags for deer, but honestly, that's mostly camping and some hiking with a heavy gun. OnX Hunting Maps is a tremendous tool to use for learning new areas and helping with private/public land boundaries. We have a tremndous treasure out here in public land that i love to take advantage of!
Thank you essmanfam. I'll be going for D13 and A zone this year. D13 only because I'm familiar with it as far as camping goes. It will be a good place to start over and learn. I actually do have the OnX Premier account. Without it, i wouldn't know half of what I'm talking about LOL!

essmanfam2

Reaction score
I ended up with a D13 tag this year too. I prefer upland birds so I haven’t decided if I will try to fill it or spend my time chasing Quail. Good luck to you.

Sarghunter

Reaction score
Awesome Post,
Thank You for Sharing the passion of Your DAD, Sounds like Great Dad, & Mentor

Welcome BACK to the Hunting Teadition

sabbathu

Reaction score
I ended up with a D13 tag this year too. I prefer upland birds so I haven’t decided if I will try to fill it or spend my time chasing Quail. Good luck to you.
I told myself I wasn't going to hunt deer this year. Only small game. But things in my heart changed, LOL. Even if it ends up being all camping, hiking, and no kill, what better time to spend, than in the woods walking around with a high powered rifle.

Good luck to you too!

sabbathu

Reaction score
Awesome Post,
Thank You for Sharing the passion of Your DAD, Sounds like Great Dad, & Mentor

Welcome BACK to the Hunting Teadition
Thank you Sarghunter. It brings the memory of my dad closer to me. He was a great dad and mentor. I'm going to pick up where he left off.

Top Bottom