Hunting trip Report - Rising Sun Hunting preserve, Dorris Ca

VarmintCoop

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just got back from my hunting trip in Northern California. We hunted at The Rising Sun Ranch, a private hunting preserve located in Dorris, California, just off of Highway 97.

I wanted a combination hunt, with both varmint / predator hunting as well as some upland bird action as well, so I called Bert Holzhauser, owner of Rising Sun Ranch, and made a reservation for a 2 night stay at the lodge.

Upon arriving, we were very impressed with the lodge, which is a private cabin, about a mile away from the Holzhausers residence. The cabin has 5 beds in 3 bedrooms, a huge woodstove to keep you warm, as well as a very well appointed kitchen, Stove, Grille, oven, Microwave, it even had a trash compactor.

We spent our first day hunting quail, with Bert and his pointer, Bonnie. The first bird flew low to the ground and was snatched in mid air by Bonnie. My fiance and I just about fell over laughing, when I told Bert that he had the best bird dogs in the world - You dont even need to shoot!

After a little while, Bonnie calmed down a bit and stopped chasing the quail after pointing on them. At the end of the day I had shot 10 and shared 2 with Bonnie. All in a a really good day.

On day 2, we hunted Chukkar and Pheasant, with Bonnie and Sam. Sam is Berts male pointer, and was a bit more deliberate in action than Bonnie. I missed more pheasants than I shot, and ended up the day with 6 chukkars and 4 pheasants. I think I need either a bigger gun (I was shooting my .410) or more practice, because those pheasants are quick!

On day 3, Bert drove over to the lodge and asked me if I wanted to try some Coyote calling. I had never hunted predators before, and it sounded like fun, so I grabbed my .243 and we drove out to some sagebrush fields that were just below the foothills. We climbed up a big juniper tree - I was on the top branch and Bert got set up just below me and started to call.

After making the first call, he waited about 10 minutes or so, and then called again. After about 5 minutes more, he looked up at me and made a click noise to get my attention and pointed to the area where he saw the coyote. I knodded to him, chambered a round, and began looking for the Coyote.

I looked for what seemed like 5 minutes or so, before I finally saw him at about 100 yards away. The Coyote paused for a second and Bert called again. After he called once more, the Coyote started barreling right at us.

As I raised my rifle to my shoulder, it started to happen to me. My heart started pounding so hard, I thought it was going to knock me out of the tree. We've all heard of Buck fever, but this was Coyote Fever, and I had it bad. The coyote paused about 75 yards out, I tried to get him steady in the crosshairs, I squeezed, BOOM! and flat missed him. The coyote froze for a millisecond and then hightailed out of there at light speed. Bert Cranked out about 3 shots at him while he was running away but missed too.

I started laughing so hard, tears came to my eyes. Damn I felt like a goofball. At the range, with that rifle I can put 5 shots under a 50 cent piece at 200 yards, and I coudln't hit a Coyote at 75. Bert started laughing uncontrollably as well, and we both had a good chuckle about it on the way down out of the tree.

What a adrenaline rush. I am definately hooked on predator hunting now.

We ended up staying 2 more nights than originally planned (at my Fiance's request, can you believe it?) and spent the rest of the time fishing The Ponds for Bass and Trout. Too early for bass but I did catch one Rainbow that was 5.5 pounds on my deliar.

For most of his life, Bert was a cattle rancher and as such, has a great deal of experience with predator hunting. He started the hunting preserve as a business about 3 years ago after retiring from the cattle business. Those who know about such things say that Bert is an "Accomplished" caller. The ranch has

In addition to the birds and predators, there is an abundance of Deer and Elk that move around his ranch as well. The Ranch is about 2000 acres, and Bert knows it all.

The hunting experience at Rising Sun was imho, excellent. I am still in the "Novice" class of hunting skill, but Bert can tailor a trip to meet anyones needs and skill level.

The best thing about the trip was Bert and his wife Linda. Just plain Good People. Bert was an excellent instructor and guide and their hospitality is unmatched. They made sure that we had everything that we needed and were excellent hosts.

For those of you out there on the list who want to plan a trip that will allow you to hunt various types of game, and be very comfortable at the same time, I highly reccomend that you give Rising Sun a try. You can get all of the information at their web site:

I'll post some pictures of the hunting as soon as I get my scanner hooked back up.

http://www.rshunt.com/index.htm

-Colin Cooper
-Pleasant Hill, CA

Related link: http://www.rshunt.com/index.htm

VarmintCoop

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just got back from my hunting trip in Northern California. We hunted at The Rising Sun Ranch, a private hunting preserve located in Dorris, California, just off of Highway 97.

I wanted a combination hunt, with both varmint / predator hunting as well as some upland bird action as well, so I called Bert Holzhauser, owner of Rising Sun Ranch, and made a reservation for a 2 night stay at the lodge.

Upon arriving, we were very impressed with the lodge, which is a private cabin, about a mile away from the Holzhausers residence. The cabin has 5 beds in 3 bedrooms, a huge woodstove to keep you warm, as well as a very well appointed kitchen, Stove, Grille, oven, Microwave, it even had a trash compactor.

We spent our first day hunting quail, with Bert and his pointer, Bonnie. The first bird flew low to the ground and was snatched in mid air by Bonnie. My fiance and I just about fell over laughing, when I told Bert that he had the best bird dogs in the world - You dont even need to shoot!

After a little while, Bonnie calmed down a bit and stopped chasing the quail after pointing on them. At the end of the day I had shot 10 and shared 2 with Bonnie. All in a a really good day.

On day 2, we hunted Chukkar and Pheasant, with Bonnie and Sam. Sam is Berts male pointer, and was a bit more deliberate in action than Bonnie. I missed more pheasants than I shot, and ended up the day with 6 chukkars and 4 pheasants. I think I need either a bigger gun (I was shooting my .410) or more practice, because those pheasants are quick!

On day 3, Bert drove over to the lodge and asked me if I wanted to try some Coyote calling. I had never hunted predators before, and it sounded like fun, so I grabbed my .243 and we drove out to some sagebrush fields that were just below the foothills. We climbed up a big juniper tree - I was on the top branch and Bert got set up just below me and started to call.

After making the first call, he waited about 10 minutes or so, and then called again. After about 5 minutes more, he looked up at me and made a click noise to get my attention and pointed to the area where he saw the coyote. I knodded to him, chambered a round, and began looking for the Coyote.

I looked for what seemed like 5 minutes or so, before I finally saw him at about 100 yards away. The Coyote paused for a second and Bert called again. After he called once more, the Coyote started barreling right at us.

As I raised my rifle to my shoulder, it started to happen to me. My heart started pounding so hard, I thought it was going to knock me out of the tree. We've all heard of Buck fever, but this was Coyote Fever, and I had it bad. The coyote paused about 75 yards out, I tried to get him steady in the crosshairs, I squeezed, BOOM! and flat missed him. The coyote froze for a millisecond and then hightailed out of there at light speed. Bert Cranked out about 3 shots at him while he was running away but missed too.

I started laughing so hard, tears came to my eyes. Damn I felt like a goofball. At the range, with that rifle I can put 5 shots under a 50 cent piece at 200 yards, and I coudln't hit a Coyote at 75. Bert started laughing uncontrollably as well, and we both had a good chuckle about it on the way down out of the tree.

What a adrenaline rush. I am definately hooked on predator hunting now.

We ended up staying 2 more nights than originally planned (at my Fiance's request, can you believe it?) and spent the rest of the time fishing The Ponds for Bass and Trout. Too early for bass but I did catch one Rainbow that was 5.5 pounds on my deliar.

For most of his life, Bert was a cattle rancher and as such, has a great deal of experience with predator hunting. He started the hunting preserve as a business about 3 years ago after retiring from the cattle business. Those who know about such things say that Bert is an "Accomplished" caller. The ranch has

In addition to the birds and predators, there is an abundance of Deer and Elk that move around his ranch as well. The Ranch is about 2000 acres, and Bert knows it all.

The hunting experience at Rising Sun was imho, excellent. I am still in the "Novice" class of hunting skill, but Bert can tailor a trip to meet anyones needs and skill level.

The best thing about the trip was Bert and his wife Linda. Just plain Good People. Bert was an excellent instructor and guide and their hospitality is unmatched. They made sure that we had everything that we needed and were excellent hosts.

For those of you out there on the list who want to plan a trip that will allow you to hunt various types of game, and be very comfortable at the same time, I highly reccomend that you give Rising Sun a try. You can get all of the information at their web site:

I'll post some pictures of the hunting as soon as I get my scanner hooked back up.

http://www.rshunt.com/index.htm

-Colin Cooper
-Pleasant Hill, CA

Related link: http://www.rshunt.com/index.htm

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Colin,

Welcome to JHP forums.  It sounds like you had a nice time and I'm glad for you.  I have to warn you, though, this sounds a lot like an advertisement and as such you're right on the edge of a crumbling cliff.  The forum rules prohibit advertising.  The rule is not meant to be restrictive, it's to keep the forum from being inundated with ads.  You've got two posts in two forums, both with a glowing report of a hunting outfit.  Forgive my suspicious nature if you're innocent.  Otherwise, hit the bricks. :smile-big-blue:

Regards,
Paul

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
I gotta agree with Hogskin, looks a little suspicious for your first post.  But, I hope we're wrong.  We've got a great bunch of guys here, and I hope you'll be one of them.  One of the nice things about this board is it's operates in a spam free zone.

Brian S

Reaction score
I think this is the guy from the "California Pines" realty infomercials.

VarmintCoop

Reaction score
No I am not in any way affiliated with the rising sun ranch, and no I'm not the guy from california pines or lake shastina.

My fiance and I just had a really great time there - they really took care of us -  I just wanted to let all the other hunters know that it was a really good place to hunt, thats all.

I am sorry if I broke any of the rules or by-laws of this forum by doing so.

-Colin Cooper
Aka Varmint Coop
colinc@appserving.com

yotegetter

Reaction score
VarmintCoop welcome to Jesse's! You'll find a lot of great folks here! You didn't break any rules if you're telling us about your experience. As moderators, we're just trying to do our job. I apologize if we kind of jumped the gun. I'm glad you and your fiance had a great time out there!

(Edited by yotegetter at 6:17 pm on Feb. 25, 2002)

Kernhuntr

Reaction score
Varmintcoop, sound like you may just be hooked on the "call of the varmint". I must warn you, it's very addictive....you've been warned. It is a way to get out when nothing else is happening, or it's a great sport on it's own. Sound's like you had a great time. I'm glad to hear that you're "ball and chain" :angel-halo: get's into the same things as you have an intrest in. It's important that you both have a good time at these type of events.
But I hope that she is understanding.....you have just entered a whole nother world....varmit's can test you're patientce.
Kernhuntr

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
VarmintCoop:  Glad to hear that our first impression was wrong.  Welcome aboard.  Your part of a great forum here, and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

EVAN III

Reaction score
     Varmitcoop,
Welcome to Jesse's. A great hunt is something you will always remember. We have a great bunch of guys and gals here. As you can tell we like to keep it clean and informative. Hope to hear more of your hunting stories.

EVAN III

Brian S

Reaction score
Ok Varmitcoop,
  I got your e-mail but there was only a title no text ..........unless........ it was a California Pines realty virus(just kidding). Sorry, I was getting a little cantankerous yesterday, it had been a long monday.Welcome to the forum.
Brian

Marty

Reaction score
Brian,
The only Mondays that aren't long are the ones spent in the field.

Say, how's that satellite-internet hookup coming for the Wister hunt this weekend.  If I can't make it, I want live feed from the campfire. :3 stooges:

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Colin,

Ditto to what the other guys said.  It's nothing personal, just trying to keep the machine running at top speed.  I apologize if I came off to harsh.  And again, welcome.

Regards,
Paul

VarmintCoops girl

Reaction score
I decided to write a reply because Colin didn't mention things I would have. Seeing the replies to our enthusiasm I know our trip was the best. I could have done without the spider I found, the bruise on my rear from horseback riding and better T.V. reception; but you should know the last trip I planned was to Vegas staying at the Hilton and Caesars Palace.
I believe the priority of Rising Sun is for everyone to have a good time executed by safety and the Golden Rule - To treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself. They did a great job - I find myself telling everyone about our vacation with a cheesy grin on my face.
I saw Colin having a blast and I can't get enough of him being happy and that makes me happy. Now maybe our trip was so great because it was the first time I went with him, or that I was reluctant to go then giving my cutest look asked if we could stay another day. Maybe it was because before we left I asked, "What am I suppose to do follow you around, keep quiet and be bored?" then found myself telling him I wish I had a hunting license, how I was going to train our dog and developing 4 rolls of film.  
Our last night there he had to be thinking, "No noise and no stress. I'm hunting with my sweetie and she's smiling at me... do I have any charcoal at home to smoke these birds?" and smiled. His smile hasn't diminished one bit and neither has mine, everyone should be so lucky.

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like a match made in heaven.  Colin's a lucky guy.  Great future wife who enjoys the things he does.

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome, VC's girl.  Now that we've had the run down, how about some pictures?

Regards,
Paul

Top Bottom