hunting unscouted areas

redneckfowler1

Reaction score
I am a first year turkey hunter and I had no time to scout for turkeys does any one have any tips for hunting an unscouted area?

PowDuck

Reaction score
Assuming you will be able to find time to go hunting here's my advice:

Go early and stay late. Scout while you're out. Since you've not turkey hunted this area before, you'll just have to learn as you go.

Sorry I don't have a magic answer for you. Maybe someone else will. Do you have someone that's experienced to go with?

TScottW99

Reaction score
well i don't know where you live but if i'm in a new area without having a chance to scout I do like suggested above by scouting while hunting.  I will also find myself on a nice ridge before daylight and trying to do some locater calling hoping to get a bird to sound off.  If  your hunting mountains look around on the east or south-east side of ridges and along the tops for roosting areas... the ol' boys like the sun on them first thing in the morning.  If you can locate them on the ridges like above try and set up to the west or north-west of them and try to call them in or wait them out.  this doesn't always apply to every turkey but does work pretty good.  try and see if you can pattern these birds while your hunting them... write down every day where they were roosted, where they went after leaving roost, where they went to strut, etc.... before long you'll see some patterns and have a better idea where to be and when.  good luck to you this spring!

Top Bottom