Hunting with Lockwood Hunting Services – A Beginner’s Story

vincewarde

Reaction score
I promised that I would post a report of our (my wife and I) experience with this guide, so here goes!

First, both of us are rank beginners at hunting. We are both experienced shooters, but this was our first hunting trip for any big game animal.

Second, I am physically limited by severe back and neck problems. Tim had no problems working with me.

Our desire, above all else, was to learn. We had zero desire to bring home trophies – we were going for “eating pigs”. We wanted to actually see sign, learn how to spot and stalk, as well as how to clean and skin.

On the first day of our hunt, we were supposed to meet Tim at 4:30am, but truck problems delayed us by about an hour and a half. The sun was well up by the time we reached the ranch. I figured that our morning was a bust. I was wrong.

We hunted a 4200 acre ranch that is loaded with game. In addition to pigs, we saw tons of Blacktails.

Tim first took us to several locations to show us actual signs – including several examples of tracks, rooting and wallowing. It really helped to see in person what I have seen in pictures. Tim then posted us in a good spot and attempted to flush pigs towards us.

This didn’t work out – but on the way back Tim spotted a nice size eating pig (about 65 pounds) bedded down in the shade under an Oak tree. He led us on a stalk that took us within 25 yards. At that point the pig definitely was aware we were there, but chose to freeze instead of running. Tim told me that he would not stay long. I took an easy off hand shot with my .308. (If I missed this one I would have never have gone hunting again!) The 150gr Remington PSP severed his spine and continued through his chest taking out his heart, lungs and liver before exiting out the left chest. He was dead in seconds and never felt anything. The time was 7:45am.

After the obligatory pictures, Tim went to get the truck. On the way back, he spotted a slightly larger pig bedded down under another Oak. He came back to get us. We made sure that my pig was in the shade and took off.

Parking the truck couple of hundred yards away, Tim lead Carla on another stalk, once again getting her to within 25 yards. Brush forced her to take an off hand shot – so she “slinged up” and fired her .270 H&R Ultra-Comp. Her pig never moved. Second pig was down. She beat me by about 10 pounds!

We tossed Carla’s pig into the truck and went back to mine. We laid them out side by side. At our request, Tim then coached and assisted us as we gutted the pigs. We then moved them to the skinning shed, where he continued to instruct us. I’m sure it would have taken less time for him to do it himself – but now I am confident in my skills in field dressing an animal.

By 10:30am our pigs were on ice in our vehicle and we were shooting the breeze. Tim was careful to explain that he can’t always find pigs this quickly :)

All in all, it was a great hunt for two brand new hunters. I would highly recommend Tim’s services.

His contact info is:

Tim Lockwood ~ Outfitter
Lockwood Hunting Services
P.O. Box 327 - Windsor - CA - 95492
(707) 888-2859
tim@lockwoodhuntingservices.com
www.lockwoodhuntingservices.com

acousticmood

Reaction score
way to go!

Glad to hear that you were able to do that with your wife.

Enjoy the BBQ!

Buck Hunter Vic

Reaction score
Congrate's on 2 nice hog's, and being able to share the experience with your wife, is awsome.

vincewarde

Reaction score
We did have a great time!

I really was great to be able to hunt with the wife. We have been married 30 years and do almost everything together. We did a ton of range time in preparation for this hunt - wife says no more range for a while. When we do go she says she wants to shoot her Glock, not her .270 :roll-wink-green:

We processed the pigs yesterday. In addition to 7 roasts and 11 pounds of ground pork - we got some great ribs and the little backstraps and tenderloins made great kabobs. We BBQed the ribs and kabobs today for a family gathering. They were great!

I can hardly wait to go out again!

elkguys

Reaction score
now this is what the outdoors are all about.spending time with the ones you love.way to go on your frist hunt and may the two of you have many more

HOGHUNTER714

Reaction score
Way to go!!!!!!! That was a great post. Those hogs are gonna be tasty. I'm hunting with Tim on the 17th/18th and can't wait....

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Way to go, guys! Welcome to the hog hunting fever! :toast-yellow:

sidepass

Reaction score
How cool is it to hunt with the woman you love? Very cool! Thank's for sharing.

sidepass

inchr48

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Nice double! Sounds like your methodical approach to learning to hunt paid off. Congrats to you for doing the range time, and getting your wife involved also. The BBQ is the icing on the cake.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom