Hwy 395 elk, where are they?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I usually can spot some from the highway and stop for pics but I havent seen any in 4 trips now. They should be pretty active now right with the rut? Where'd they go? I dont really want to get off the hwy since the elk hunts are ongoing. Thx

SDarcher

Reaction score
Just saw these hanging out before hitting Bishop. I had actually never seen Tule Elk until last week when I spotted these. I had to pull over and spend an hour just watching them feed. It's really motivating me to go try my luck in Idaho this year.

IMG_0090.JPG

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Just saw these hanging out before hitting Bishop. I had actually never seen Tule Elk until last week when I spotted these. I had to pull over and spend an hour just watching them feed. It's really motivating me to go try my luck in Idaho this year.

View attachment 77882
thanks. Ive seen them there too. I'll be heading up there soon and hope to get some pics. In the fall its fun to watch them and listen to how the call to learn. Plus they get crazy over the wimmen elk

SDarcher

Reaction score
That valley is pretty spectacular. One of my favorite places to drive through when going up the 395 to Tahoe. I was stopping every 30 minutes that evening working on my camera skills. Are their areas in that valley accessible to hike through and take pictures? I'm all about learning and trying to capture good pictures and film. I'm in San Diego but I make my way up that way often. In regards to Idaho, my first time being that far north hunting but it's been a dream. Any advice is always appreciated.

wedgy

Reaction score
Same thing, I hadn't seen them in ~2 years/20 trips up 395 but saw the herd 2 weeks ago in the afternoon shade grazing the alfalfa field and 3 weeks ago(2 bulls) in the hills west of Tinemaha Reservoir.
tule.jpgtul2.jpg

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
That valley is pretty spectacular. One of my favorite places to drive through when going up the 395 to Tahoe. I was stopping every 30 minutes that evening working on my camera skills. Are their areas in that valley accessible to hike through and take pictures? I'm all about learning and trying to capture good pictures and film. I'm in San Diego but I make my way up that way often. In regards to Idaho, my first time being that far north hunting but it's been a dream. Any advice is always appreciated.
There are several places with side roads you can drive down that dont have fences or are BLM that you can hike around in. Download the app Onx hunt and it shows all the state, federal and private property lines. This will show where you can go legally and its the best app ive found for hunting, fishing, hiking etc.

Here is where i filmed some bulls fighting along the owens river back in 2013. Its as you head up the hill north of Lone pine. If you park on top the hill or half way up you have a great view from above the elk if they are there along the river. You'll need a long camera lens from there or you can sneak down for closer pics. Ive got some great video around here of the bulls fighting but not sure where the tape is? Back when we used the little DV mini cassettes for video, Canon GL-2 video cam.

bulls_fighting_lone_pine_2013_onx_humt_map.jpg

SDarcher

Reaction score
Ill definitely look into it. I just got onX, great app. I need to get out there during the rut with my camera gear. Do you fish that stream? Update on that Idaho elk hunt, i missed out on the tag but I did manage to secure a mule deer tag. Really looking forward to that trip.

Top Bottom