I am done with hunting mags!

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I think I am letting my bowhunting/hunting mag subscriptions lapse.

I have gotten my personal fill of 3+mile up hill drags of 300lb mulies, deep backcountry stories with a picture of the road edge and the whole critter posed, guided stories out the yin yang, and so on.

A forky killed by a guy solo out in the steep and deep is ten times the story of a guy guided on a private ranch, whether the difference is 300 inches of bone or not, but except on the forums you never read about that hard earned forky.

Thanks for all the time killed while in the bathroom, but I have things I would rather spend money and time on now.

Off soap box.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Ok grouchy guy. Check out National Bowhunter, formerly called Western Bowhunter. It's a blue collar kind of mag. I really like the feel of it. It's published by CA's own Doug Walker, who has a great deal of interesting history with some of modern archery's pioneers, not to mention association with P&Y and CBH. http://www.nationalbowhunter.net

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Oh but I will miss the annual bow reviews that always give 5 stars, has there ever been a bow designed that was better than previous models, or one that was worse?

The best ones are the awesome broadhead review that shoot them thru pizza boxes and toilet paper, or better yet can I read one more harrowing story of the lard butt that put in so much work to get his baited bear?

I will check the one you mentioned Nate, but after looking at the same damn thing for so damn long, I am through with the usual culprits.

I keep all, or as many as I can keep my wife from throwing away, and by doing that a pattern is obvious. Pretty much across the board every mag is a spittin image of itself from that same month the previous year, with a few different schmo's and a different new model that is at least 3fps faster, or 1/100th longer in ata, but other than that the same.

I am just tired of paying for other folks hunts that refuse to give the product they advertise.

From all the mags I have been a patron over the years, it either the hard core mag that only focuses on big headgear regardless of the effort that went into the hunt, or it is whitetail weekly. I got enough of whitetails when I lived back east, and huntin from a truck with a guide ain't exactly hardcore.

eally off soap box

JNDEER

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (forkehornreggie @ Mar 15 2008, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Dude, your string is hanging out!
[/b]
that is funny right there...i don't care who you are.....

eastmans mags are good IMO

Coues

Reaction score
I let all of my subscriptions go too. Waste of money, IMO

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
You need to kill something or pull that string out!! Try Bow and Arrow Hunting mag. It's mostly out west stuff and you'll see the hard earned forkey article in there too. I can't live without the mags. Just me, but bowhunting consumes my every moment, even when I'm on the pot. Ed F

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I'm with Eduardo, and forke. Dude, the menstrational whining is not becoming. You need to stop being a huge vag and go kill something. Too much talk.

I couldn't give up the mags either. I could complain, and show my hanging string like bearclaw, but something is better than nothing. I need them this time of year.

One Track

Reaction score
I've let all my subscriptions expire as well. I think I was getting five mags at one time a few years ago. I decided not to renew when I realized that there isn't a 350" bull around every tree, and that my expectations were out of whack. Besides that, they promote gross score instead of net score. I mean, c'mon. Gross score? What kind of association came up with a gross score? Oh, was it SCI? Can I get a fedora with that?

Just kidding.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Wow. I'm speechless. Never thought I'd see the day. That is coming from Mr. 360".

Actually, it's a fedora and a fat Cubano b'tween the teeth.

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
I have to admit, there's a few I've let go....Bow 'n' Arrow, Huntn' Fool and BowHunt America are about it now.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Right now I am getting GON, Huntin Fool, EHJ, EBH, Bowhunter, Bowunting, Field and Stream, one more I am forgetting, and the CBH and Pope and Young newsletters.

OF those GON, and the CBH and Pope and Young newsletters are the ones I look forward to, and actually FIeld and Stream has the occasional cool tidbit, but for the most part the rest are only there to keep me from doing my taxes when on the pot. However my taxes are more riveting than any review on any product that has ever been done. I swear I would cut out one of my own kidneys and donate it to science if I saw one mag say, this thing sucks and we don't recommend it.

One Track I'm with you dude.

I will say though that if the latest EBJ only had a cover to cover on what South Cox pulled off last fall it would not have been enough space, that was amazing. I think a book could have been written about that one hunt.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
I can't let my scrip's go! my favorite thing to do while i fish
all day is read my bowhunting mags and catch monster trout, i am superstitous now and always have to have my mag's when i go fishing or i will feel unlucky.
I still feel they are very educational even though they are repetitive on subjects, i dont want to be left out and fall behind on the tech talk with other bowhunters on the lastest and greatest equipment and bows coming out each year.
and i am sure any hunter who has had hunting subscription's for year's, should know how to kill a Whitetail out a treestand from twenty yard's by now

anyways Bearclaw, I would'nt mind starting another thread on some hunting shows i have given up watching because they are a wast of time, these host make their hunts sound so difficult and exciting, and then while your watching them on their hunts you see house's and farms and lodge's and highways and planes trains and auto's and residentials area's behind them, or they end up only having to drag their kill only twenty feet to their truck! now that stuff turns me off so i turn them off!

ok. i feel better now!...............................tra

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I guess it is mostly about priorities, I am taking 19 semester hours right now, dallying in real estate, and running/cycling/swimming two the three hours a day six days a week. Plus studying time and such, the day is only so long. And in this subject the big deal is less reading the regurgutation of huntin mags I shoot more.

And the biggest thing in this equation is I have two little boys that I love to play with, so twenty minutes a day more with them instead of in the "office" dropping trow is important.

Plus a year and a half and I have paid for my new 4500.

I no longer need to read about the "7 keys to hunting bow accuracy".

I just need to focus ont he important stuff and get me better suited for huntin the steep and deep mountains where the critters are. My closest huntin spot near home is six miles back, sittin on my duff reading ain't going to get me there quicker or with less energy spent, so I am off to important stuff.

Plus I get enough of the stuff that the mags have that is good from this and a few other forums. Except for maybe two or so articles a year, I learn more from Ed's, Roy's, and Kirk's posts than anything the mags will ever offer, and they aren't chargin me to read that just yet.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
your right Bearclaw, there is not enough time in a day to do everything we love to do and sometimes we have to make sacrifices which i dont like to do either, i wish we had 30 hr days insted of 24, those 6 more hrs a day would suit me fine, i am not one to sleep my life away and i want to enjoy every minute possible doing the things i love to do to without giving up something.
being always outdoors is my priority before mags and tv time, in my line of work i am outdoors in the elements everyday doing pyhsical stuff no matter if its raining or not , cold or hot i love it!
what i always do when my mags start stacking up is i give them to other people who are intrested in bowhunting or donate them to your favorite orginization or club or local pro shop or ( Barber shop )
it makes me feel good knowing they are going to a good cause insted of tossing them or storing them forever.

have a great day and i will chat with ya soon!.............tra

Coues

Reaction score
Ever see a review of some "can't live without" bow, shaft, broadhead, etc and then turn the page and see a full page ad for the same product? What a joke. Da Dey thank we is stoopid, or wut?

richardoutwest

Reaction score
The problem I see with most the mags, is they are only printing the stories of the MONSTERS. This makes people think that they are going to be on the cover next month. Readers are only seeing the best of the best every year and not seeing reality. I see it every year when hunters are calling for a 400 inch archery bull or that 200 inch archery muley or a 120 coues. Realistic hunting with a potential is what I'm talking about!

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I agree again Richard, I know that they aren't there in big numbers, heck statistically speaking the bucks on the covers of the bags hardly exist in populations, but when every pic in every huntin mag is of a world class critter, it seems that it is just a numbers game and you will see that 400" bull.

I really liked the mag that Shay had for a short time, there were the big critters but many stories were about the epic adventure with the little rack, that is what I want to read. I also want to read some good writing, the kind of stuff that takes you there.

Not guy drew tag, guy saw big critter, guy made shot, guy took decent pics, guy used this equipment which made him better, and guy in magazine.

I have had two hour pig hunts or doe hunts that were more epic than most of the dang stories featured in many mags.

If I want huge racks I will get a subscription to Muley Crazy and Playboy, neither make any claims to represent anyrthing buy monster racks and that is cool.

Top Bottom