I cheated. Will y'all forgive me?

Buck-eye

Reaction score
I, for the most part, consider myself to be a bowhunter. With all the shots I have botched recently not a very good one, but that is another subject.
I hunted very hard this year so far and had nothin in the freezer. Up here, gun season is like a holiday, which is a blessing and a curse. A blessing because so many people are sharing in the hunting experience, and a curse because some of them have no business in the woods or with a firearm in their hands.
Well, Friday, I was given permission to hunt a new piece of property. I took the ol slug gun, and wouldnt you know it, I harvested a deer. I feel sheepish, as I really do consider myself a bowhunter. But, my shot was a 50 yd'er, and I consider that close to bow range, so at least I wasnt taking a 300 yd poke.
I lay myself at the feet of the elders here, and ask your forgiveness.

inchr48

Reaction score
Pictures, we need pictures.

We do what we gotta do, a bird in the hand, and all that ........

I'm still toiling with my bow (3rd season) for my first deer.

Glad you got one, firearm or not.

One Track

Reaction score
Don't worry about it. You spent a decent time on stand, passing on some respectable bucks, hoping for Mr. Big. Hey, time is ticking and the freezer needs some love. Your family is set in the protein department. Next year will be here before you know and your arrow will find it's way through the lungs of a 160" whitey.

Enjoy your harvest. Backstrap in the frying pan.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Any shot that brings home the bacon! I'm not a bow hunter, and I'm not ashamed of myself.

Hey! Junior's gotta eat, huh? :thumbs up:

Pictures, man. Pictures!

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
If I were close enough I would bust out a wet noodle and pimp slap you, but I can't so I will have to say CONGRATS!

Good job bud, bowhunting is what it is. We love it, but like B-Diddy said, the freezer ain't gonna fill itself.

How many more tags do you have?

myfriendis410

Reaction score
Use the tool that gets the job done. I'll bet if you hadn't been carrying a bow around the last few years you could honestly say you wouldn't be a better hunter now.

sampson

Reaction score
It's all good. I had to do basicly the same thing last year. It felt good to hunt the gun season for a change. Congrats. Mike

Krisdude

Reaction score
well, at least ya got some meet, probably won't have seen that deer if you had the bow, like me I come across pigs when i have the shot gun and only bird shot, now I bring the bow on my back

Buck-eye

Reaction score
I have no pictures, but they are not necessary. No antlers, perfect shot, long drag out, blah, blah, blah. 12 gauge slugs are no joke. They dont run far when youhit them with an ounce of lead.
Andouie sausage being made as we speak, and venison chili on the docket for this weekends football games.

chap_dog48

Reaction score
You know that all those guys that got nothing this year are pissed or a little disappointed or :smiley_green_with_ebut are happy for you none the less and who ever comes on here and slams you for not using a bow is a Jack--s:mooning:. We are all hunters and no matter the weapon you got the job done. Way to go. I am just as happy with a spork x 1 as a 3x3 as a doe. You take an animal you want then coooooool. I say if it's brown take it down any way you can. Congrats!:thumbs up2:

sancho

Reaction score
i am secretly having my rifle(s) brought out from texas....shhhh.

congrats!!!!

Buck-eye

Reaction score
I agree with anyone who lives in Ca that any deer is a trophy. I hunted that state for 3 years, and it is very difficult. Fl was the same way. Here its a bit different. There are deer all over the place. I passed up so many bucks and doe in the early season that I would readily take now. All the peeps here are always supportive to me, and I know that no one truly cares how I harvested my deer. But, I am a straight shooter (obviously with a deer in the freezer) and wanted to come clean as to my method. Just ironic that I spent 30 days in a stand hunting w/ a bow and came home empty. I spent 6 hours in the stand with a gun and BLAM!

inchr48

Reaction score
Know what you mean about passing on deer with the bow. This year I've only let does walk while carrying the bow. Only had 1 buck within range, and couldn't get the shot off in time. He'd been dead with a firearm.

D3Lifer

Reaction score
It doesn't matter how ya get em as long as it's legal. At least you MADE your shot. I bought a gun tag for our second season last weekend and missed a doe TWICE. Must be something wrong with my sights ;p. Anyway, congrats on bringing home the meat Buckeye.

Farmerdoug

Reaction score
I lay myself at the feet of the elders here, and ask your forgiveness.
Buck-eye, I myself could/would never be worthy of giving forgiveness to any other man. The means of take we use should never cause a feeling of guilt. No matter what our weapon of choice is, the harvest could never be complete without the strength and guidance givin by the Lord. I make it a point to always thank the deer after the kill for sacraficing its body for me and my family. Congradulations on a clean shot. Now go and enjoy that venison chili! P.S. What time does dinner start so can be on time.........

Buck-eye

Reaction score
Farmerdoug that is a fantastic post. The respect you show, to me, is the true essence of what hunting and harvesting is about. Thank you.

hunterdoug

Reaction score
I don't know.... anyone got an extra can of wup-ass can't seem to find mine.... besides, didn't you decide you bow was jinksed, just remember you can't sell a jinksed bow without full disclosure. good job take it anyway you can get it :toast-yellow:

sportyg

Reaction score
Buckeye, You took your deer the way you had to. Nothing wrong with that pat yourself on the back for a hunt well done... Enjoy that deer....

Top Bottom