I did it!...with a LOT of your help

Volhunter

Reaction score
I got my first camera complete and I am going to put it out in the woods tomorrow! I am so pumped! I can't wait to see my first roll.

In testing it, it seems to only pick up to about 20 ft. I am using the radio shack sensor. I have the fresnal lense glued to the inside of a Pelican 1120 box. I modified the sensor housing and it is set below the camera. When I shut the cover on the box, the sensor board touches the cover. Can I get any additional range out of it? Obviously, I can't move the sensor any closer to the lense. Any ideas? If this is all the range I get, I will still be happy to use it on some trails, but will probably try the MS-20 sensor on my next one to cover some small food plots.

Thanks again to everybody here for the help and to those of you who have spent so much time and effort to write instructions and draw schematics, etc. to pass on your knowledge to all of us. There really are nice and unselfish people left in this world.

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Volhunter, 20 feet should be good enough.  I wired mine using the mainstay sensor and made the mistake of making the hole for the lense to big.  It would detect out to 70 feet with a 40 foot wide path!  This of course caused a lot of "Blank" pictures at night because the deer would be out at 70 feet, but the flash only reached 20 feet.  I got one picture of two does out almost 100 feet!  Thats way to far because I could hardly tell what they were.  

You actually want the PIR element to sit about 3/4" away from the back of the lens.  Most of the PIR sensors I have seen have a "Spacer" that holds the lens at the correct distance from the PIR element.  The lens has a focul point much like a convex lens.  The closer you have the element to the lens, the shorter the range will be.  Having the PIR element to far from the lens also has the same affect.   Heck though, if it works well at twenty feet, I would just leave it like it is and put it over a food pile or a known trail.  Good Luck and I hope to see some monster bucks from your roll!

Buckoholic

Reaction score
Congrats on completing your first camera. I look forward to seeing the pictures. Not as much as you do I'm sure. I couldn't sleep at night thinking about what was passing in front of my camera at that time. I was very pleased with my first roll results. I hope things work out for you as well. Welcome to the club of Homebrew camera junkies.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Congrats on finishing your camera Volhunter. Bust loose with the pics when you get them please.

Possum

Reaction score
Congrats, I know how you feel.  I pulled the roll of film out of my 2nd cam Tues. evening and was so excited at the 20 pics showing on the pic counter I almost forgot I was there to hunt.  I started thinking where the nearest Wal Mart was.  Somehow I came back to reality and went and climbed into the stand.  I hope you get really good pics and have a lot of success.

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
I measured the RS 49-425 as closely as possible, and came up with app..700, I used my calipers, cut a piece of paperclip .700, and used that as my "spacer" until I got the circuit board glued into place, I got a nice picture of a doe at roughly 35yds at dusk, I personally wouldn't want it to be capable of detecting any more than that range, because you will get more photo's with nothing in them. I used the pelican box,and glued in the fresnal lense also, I used a 5/8" hole for my sensor, and am tickled with the results. Good Luck with your first roll.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom