• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

I drew a tag....

AS73

I drew an AZ Coues Deer rifle tag. This will be my first time hunting the grey ghost. I've set up for long range due to stories I've heard. I'm dialed in out to 500yards. But I would much rather shoot a 120" buck at 50 yards. I'd appreciate any tips. I have on x maps and have been studying the terrain and water holes.
Thanks
Tim

Jake F

I've never hunted them so I have no good info for you but Congrats! It will be a fun hunt no matter what happens.

photohunter

What unit and what season dates? The AZ F&G website gives good descriptions of each unit. https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/units/ When I started hunting coues, I started with the book "How to Hunt Coues Deer" by Duwane Adams: https://www.amazon.com/Hunt-Coues-Deer-Duwane-Adams/dp/B000MLYYAE It's a bit dated on the units, but I found it helpful. You can get by with just 10x binos (I did for years), but you need 15x or 12x binos and a spotting scope if you're serious about getting a big buck. Do more glassing than hiking. I've been bowhunting them for 8 years during the rut and the biggest I've seen is about 100", but bigger do exist. Hunting the grey ghost is addicting. Good luck on the hunt!

AS73

Thanks Photohunter I'll check out the resources you've listed. Dang that book is pricey ;) I have the early rifle hunt in Nov8. been doing lots of digital scouting using on x maps and planning a trip over to the unit on the Dove opener weekend. I have good 12x50 binos and a good tripod just need to get a spotter. My biggest problem is I like to hike. Its so hard to sit still and glass. I like to explore. I guess I need to practice wearing out my eyes before my feet

CaliJeephuntr

I didn't apply. Need to start though. I got to hunt them once in the early 90's, and my dad hunted them 3 or 4 times starting in the late 80's. Unit 27 is what where we went. The tag was good for both the coues and mulies back then.

gdt

Hey Tim, hope it turns out good for you! I'll be out in 36A in December. I've been hearing the same thing about glassing. Definitely looking forward to the hunt.

AS73

Thanks & Yes apply next year. Id say also get your AZ hunters safety for a bonus point on your draw every year.

AS73

Hey Tim, hope it turns out good for you! I'll be out in 36A in December. I've been hearing the same thing about glassing. Definitely looking forward to the hunt.
Hopefully we will both get to share a few photos of our success, Mine is early Nov. hunt

Top Bottom