I Drew Blood On The First Day

Raully

Reaction score
Well plans changed my cousin couldn't make the trip to the A-Zone so I had to head up to my home town of Santa Barbara on my own. Since I was hunting by myself I didn't want pack in like I was suppose to were the big boys hang out. I decided to hunt closer to the road and be safe. I got a family to think about now. I got up there Thursday morning and right away saw deer off the road, but no bucks. I seen a total of 18 deer by friday. I also seen a bear and a mountain lion for a split second working the edge of a tree line. I had hardly seen any deer on friday was starting to get worried. I hadn't scene a buck yet out of all the deer I was seeing. It was 97 in the day and would drop to 46 degrees in the night.

Saturday morning I saw no deer and now I'm thinking I should go home. At around 2 oclock I hit the river bed hoping to jump some thing up going to get some shade and a drink since it was hotter then heck. Nada in the river bed either. I decided to road hunt a little since some of the intel I was getting was the deer were crossing the road through out the day to hit the water and a lot of them were bucks. As I pulled out of camp and headed up the road and I see a bear about a 200lbs. I got to about 30 yards and wished it was bear season. The day before a fello ran into a huge bear that he said looked like it was pushing 400lbs. So lots of bears and no bucks yet. I have hunted this area since I was a kid and I know the huntings tough with a rifle let alone with a bow. I took some pics of the bear and drove off. I turned up another road and stopped by to talk to the local ranger to show him the pics of the bear.

We were talking about the numerous bucks that have been seen in the area when this forked horn popped out of the river bed and jumped across the road. I couldn't believe it. I hike my a** off for 3 days and no bucks and here is one running right in front of me. I'm pretty sure some thing was chasing it since this deer was hauling butt. The ranger said he's seen this guy hanging around his place before and new where his hang out was. He pointed me to the right direction and the chase was on. I ran up a fire road and hid near a small grove like meadow. I waited and waited and no buck. I was getting ready to hike back when I hear him running down below me breaking brush. I spot him and right away and he picks up my scent and looks right at me. I tried to not move but he knew what was up. I lost sight of him for a few minutes and it seemed like forever. I was on a knee and couldn't see him through the tall grass and he was below me under some oak trees and poison oak bushes.

I ranged the tree at 36 yrds. I decided to stand up and come to full draw real slow at the same time. I couldn't see his body until my eyes adjusted to the shade he was in. After a few seconds I could see his shoulder area and he was looking right at me. At that moment I had to make a decision on letting him pass or take home a meat buck. Since this area is tough hunting and its slim to none on getting a buck I let it fly. Not to mention I was missing my 5 mo old like crazy. I see and hear the arrow hit. The buck jumped and took off for the thick stuff along the hill we were on. I started tracking blood right away and at some points I had to crawl on my hands and knees to get through the chapparal and poison oak. He went about 100 yards and I found him rolled against a tree. I thought he was a fork on both sides but ended up being a spork. His antlers and velvet were still soft. I had got one lung and a pass through on the liver. He looked more blacktail than Muley. His tail was comletely black, but I know he's a hybrid.

Well the pressure is off and I got my meat buck. Now I'm going to hold out for some bigger bones if I can. It looks like my hunting luck is changing and it feels good.:archer green:

Attachments

Tuffy

Reaction score
Way to get the season started Raully!!!!

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Congrats, that is awesome. There aren't many bucks in SB county, you bucked the odds big time!

I don't have a local tag this year, but if I can't drag a bear out of the Northern areas I will be hiking all over Hell and Tibet to poke one in Ventura or SB County.

Congrats, you have been on a roll lately!

Abourda

Reaction score
FINALLY someone gets something!! I've been on here and some other sites since the opener wanting to see something. Congrats!

One Track

Reaction score
Really cool. Congrats on sticking a buck with a bow in the heat.

Shot

Reaction score
Congrats!!! A great way to start the season.

ORElkBow

Reaction score
Congrats on the kill. I'm still one month away and my fingers are getting ichy just looking at your pic. Nice job.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom