I got Zapped!!!!!!

Zeke

Reaction score
I just got zapped by the flash capacitor on an old Owl Date with the slide ON switch.
Was wiring it up for a buddy at work and I guess since I have only done PFs I wasnt familar with the flash contacts. I AM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeez it hurt!!!!!!!!  Got my attention too!!    lol

bigbucks

Reaction score
 Yeah, those 3300uf capacitors pack alot of punch! That was your first lesson in amplification. I used to think nothing that ran off of 3 volts could hurt you. WRONG!!. My best advice is to snap a picture (with flash) and take the batteries out immediately. I even have the battery cover cracked open and ready to go when i push  the button. That way, I don't have to worry about that big capacitor.

Zeke

Reaction score
Yeah....I dropped it in a hurry..... but it was only a couple of inches off the table when I did. Man them things bite!!!

arlow

Banned
Reaction score
HEHEHEHEEHEHEHE!!!!!

I DONT KNOW HOW MANY TIMES THE OWL PFS HAVE GOT ME.  SURE WAKES YOU UP THOUGH.:laffin-yellow::rofl-yellow:

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Sometimes i just got to go ahead and grab the capacitor with a really tight grip and hang on,this way i feel i get it out of the way right off the bat:laffin-yellow:

shufigo

Reaction score
There's them that have and them that will.....

kfen

Reaction score
I have been there several times. Last year I droped one and broke the capaciter off.

shadow

Reaction score
The one and only time I got zapped the camera only dropped a couple of inchs but I think I jump a few feet...

deerguide

Reaction score
You know what.  You don't have to touch the flash capacitor contacts.  Any where along the trace up to the trigger will do the job.  I was just working on an off brand camera and was staying way the hell away from the capacitor.  Capacitor is on one side of the board and the trigger on the other.  Man did that wake me up. Now I gota to go over next door and apologize to the neighbors for the loud language.

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
Welcome to the club! Boy that hurts huh. Got me several times on one camera. I guess dropping the camera and not breakng it is a plus. Good luck on the rest of the project. MC.

bigmandude

Reaction score
I  think i wrote the book on being zapped...  

by the way,, who was it that was prying the back off with a steak knife and it got stuck in the wall when he got zapped.. i cant remember?

jayber

Reaction score
Do I dare say that I haven't been?  DOH!  I just did......so I can't say that I feel your pain, so to speak.  I'd best be extra careful now that I jinxed myself.

woodsman

Reaction score
Welcome to cam building , HEHEHEHEHEHEHEH It's hard to believe that little thing can curl you hair in one  ZAP:hair-raisin:

(Edited by woodsman at 10:19 pm on Aug. 13, 2002)

deerguide

Reaction score
I guess I'll never learn.  Got zapped again.  Then I shorted the capacitor just to make sure, only I guess I didn't get it all, cause the thing got me again just as soon as I put the screwdriver down and reached for the camera.  Twice on one charge. This keeps up and I'll be posting my own low power mod.  That capacitor has to be eating up a lot of juice.  I know I'll only get daylight pics, but I've seen enough stars for now.

JohnsIslandBoy

Reaction score
I have a friend who use to work for a PC repair shop.  They would take capacitors out of old PCs or monitors and rig them in side the work desk Drawer.. so that when the guy tried to open or close the draw.. Zap..

He said it got to the point that no one wanted to sit in a metal work stool or open there workstations drawers.. It was all fun and games till one day one of the VPs came down in the shop just to talk to some of the guys.. and sat on a rigged Chair..  

Lets just say... that did not happen to many more times.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom