I ,I Said, I said, I said I'm a Chicken Dog Son

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Anybody ever introduce your hunting dog to chickens ??

I've had my dog for 7 years now and she aint the best but she's better than most. At least her name isn't GET OVER HERE or DAMN IT.

Anyway my boss aaagh I mean wife bought some chickens a few weeks ago and the dog was more than willing to bight their heads off at first.
Now she just lays around while they climb all over her. She's even starting to kinda walk like a chicken.

Am I gona need a shrink ?  For the dog not me.

Is she going to go on a retrive and say nope can't pick that bird up.

Any helpful thoughts ?

wildlifedesigner

Reaction score
My dog has never ate a bird while i was around but when my dog first came in contact with chickens he ate them until I cought him in the act, then he would just run around with them in his mouth which he had to give up also, now he can care less about chickens. The real test was the baby ducks I adopted at first he would wait for me to give him the Fetch command after a while the ducks were more scared of me than the dog. All of this I also figured would have an effect on hunting, good for me it has not had ANY at all.  

E A Hunt

Reaction score
We had six chickens and one day one vanished. We held a jury trail and I got the dog off. (glove didn't fit) That was the first week we had them. Now she could care less about them. Hope that doesn't carry over to ducks though.

twoducks

Reaction score
EA, don't worry about the dog and the chickens, I have raised 3 labs around both chickens and ducks and geese and the dog, (lab) never even raises a tail at the birds, for some reason when I go a field and pack my piece the dog knows the differnce but ignores and even sleeps with the fowl at home.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
E.A. you crack me up. If  I was going to take a beatin for eating chicken heads, I think I'd go ahead and at least eat the best part  (breast) first. Wonder why they just bite the heads off?

E A Hunt

Reaction score
I don't think she did it. My theroy is the little guy didn;t like his other coop mates and he ran away. That was my argument at the trail and it got my dog off.

BUT................ I know the Judge is  keeping a close eye on the dog and I have inside info that at least two of the other chickens are going to try and frame the dog.
I've had a long talk with the dog and told her to keep her nose clean and just stay away from that type of filth.

Top Bottom