I just ordered some Vanguard FR-2050W binoculars and I'd like your opinion about them

solus

Reaction score
so I just bought a pair of binoculars and I would really like everyones opinion on these binoculars. I had lost my old pair earlier this year and Jesse allowed me to use a pair he was demoing and I liked them but couldnt find any I could find for a lower price. I bought these that are the same brand.
Vanguard FR-2050W Binoculars
y
our input is appreciated!!

Frank X. Morris

Reaction score
Howdy solus,
I hope you are very steady or carry some kind of support (tripod). I couldn't hold a pair of 20 power binos steady if I wanted to. Mine are 12 power so I have to make sure I'm not breathing too heavily and hope my heartbeat is slow and steady or find some support. The company I work for bought some $60 binos but after a month the optics were out of adjustment and now I just use my Zeiss binos. One measure I use for binos is how anxious am I to bring them up to my eyes. I love bringing my binos up to my eyes. And my binos are over 70 years old.

asaxon

Reaction score
Without trying to critique the specific brand/model, big issue in addition to problems with holding it steady without a tripod/support, the 20x gives a very narrow field of view (about 1/2) compared to an 8-10x binos that are generally standard to carry and they are relatively heavy.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
The ONLY WAY to select the right binos for you is to go look thru a bunch and see what you like best. Not just vision but FOV, weight, balance and brightness. Spend more here than you expect.

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I agree with everyone that the 20x bino is not the way to go without a bipod or tripod. I bought a Bushnell 20x50 hoping to be able to count the antler points on deer quicker. The result was I have trouble finding the deer in the bino. I picked up this on sale for $209 during Thanksgiving. You could probably get just the bino for about $79.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...=SBC;MMcat104792580;cat104752080;cat104217480

solus

Reaction score
I received an email a couple weeks ago aying they didn't have it in stock and they wouldn't charge me until they got a new pair in 5-10days but that jas past and I'm looking for a different pair anyoje have any suggestions on make/model/price?

henmar77

Reaction score
these arent in the same price range, but if you want a superior set of optics for a low low budjet these are it!

http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-diamondback-10x42mm-binoculars-d241.html $229.99

However if you want the best deal go to opticsales.com thats where i got mine $213.89 plus another %5 off if you enter coupon code 350331

FYI: dosent have to be that item to get the discount. If those are to rich for your blood try the Vortex Crossfire. Still excellent for about 70 bucks less.

k_rad

Reaction score
Alpen or is it Alpine optics are pretty fantastic for the $. My friend that showed me his spotting scope has a set of Swarovski binos and swears the Aplins are close...

jerryt

Reaction score
I found two sets of these binoculars in the woods last year after I assumed people threw them away because they broke in the field. Found one set on the Bobcat Ranch hunt and found another in the D6 near Clarks Fork. I would imagine you would be better off glassing with the scope on your gun. Just my opinion. I pay a lot more for optics than I ever would for a gun.

dustin ray

Reaction score
The best place i have found to buy glass is (optics 4 birding) there in Irvine they have the good stuff at a fair price. I bought a pair of Pentax 10x43 there real nice

henmar77

Reaction score
I found two sets of these binoculars in the woods last year after I assumed people threw them away because they broke in the field. Found one set on the Bobcat Ranch hunt and found another in the D6 near Clarks Fork. I would imagine you would be better off glassing with the scope on your gun. Just my opinion. I pay a lot more for optics than I ever would for a gun.
It would help to know what binoculars you are referring to since there have been several different brands mentioned.

ltdann

Reaction score
I guess the real question here is how much are you willing to spend?

Good optics aren't cheap. Probably the top 3, in no particular order, Zeiss, Leica and Swaroski. Some of the new Vortex stuff is almost as good, and for the price difference, worth a look.

1) When chosing optics (regardless of price) you need to think about what your gonna us 'em for. Are you backpack and weight's a consideration? Mostly tripod work? or maybe wearing them all day.

2)When looking thru the glass, you should see a 3 dimensional image. Cheaper bino's make everything look flat.

3)The glass should clear and crisp in the middle and alllllll the way to the edge. Cheaper bino's will be clear in the middle and get fuzzy at the edges.

4)Good class will render colors accurately. Meaning when you see a dark green bush with the naked eye, it's the same color in the glass. Alot of lesser glass tends to wash the colors out.

5)The prospective bino should have some weight to them, but not be heavy. Weight helps them stay steady. They should be ergonomic and feel like an extension of yourself. When you put the bino's to your eyes, it should feel natural.

What does this all do for you? It makes it a joy to look thru. When you've got good glass, you'll spend a ton more time looking through them, without eye strain, without headaches. More importantly, you'll see more.
Instead of looking a bush, you'll see the branch's, and maybe, see the antler tips on the other side. Good bino's will also give you more light gathering and allow you to see earlier and later in the day.

I just spend the weekend hunting hogs, and ran into a guy doing the same. We decided to hunt together the next morning. It was just about 20 minutes to sunrise and I was scanning the hills with my swaro 10x42's and the guy says "it's too dark". I look over and he's got these little pocket 8x25's up. I doubt he could have seen anything in broad daylight. I handed over the swaro's and he said "holy crap, it's like daylight!"

That's why you save your lunch money and buy good stuff.

solus

Reaction score
Yes but I'm not willing to pay $1000+ on binoculars unless I can find a place that has layaway for a few months... I just spent y lunch money on mu new AR rifle

ltdann

Reaction score
Understood, just saying...... I went thru 5 different sets of bino's over the years before making the plunge. I never regretted it. My long time hunting partner thought I was stupid for dropping that kind of money on bino's, but guess what started to happen? He began to ask me to look at stuff and then started to borrow mine.Six months ago, after saving for almost 2 years, he bought a pair of vortex razor HD 12x50's. Frankly, if those had been available when I was buying, I'd have bought those. The difference between the swaro's is negligible and muuuuccccch cheaper.Oh, one other thing, spend alot of time handling the binos before you drop that kinda cha-ching. It won't make you a better hunter, but you'll better equipped and you'll be SEEing instead of just looking.

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Bushnell Buckhorn 10x42 or 12x50. Cheapest for the quality in my opinion. You can catch them on sale for $69 - $99.

jerryt

Reaction score
It would help to know what binoculars you are referring to since there have been several different brands mentioned.
Vanguards. Don't know that they were 20 power though.

solus

Reaction score
The ones I was asking about were 20x50

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
The ones I was asking about were 20x50
If I need a 20x, I would get a spotting scope. I bought a Bushnell 20x50 6 years ago and used it once. It's sitting in the closet collecting dust now. If anybody wants it, feel free to come by and take it. I used to have a variable 10-20x50, got it as a gift and don't remember the brand name, and hardly ever use the 20x.

solus

Reaction score
Ill take it! Lol it'll hold me over until I find a good pair in 10x40~

Top Bottom