I Missed!!

Mel Carter

Reaction score
Finally able to get out for a day of hogs. Set early Tuesday morning, drove around the ranch to look around. Headed into an area that was foot traffic only, after about 2 miles, I looked straight up hill and there he was, a large hog. It was a hard angle shot, about 200 yards but a doable shot, I just choked it. Hope I can leave this behind me and connect on the next one, I need some sausage!

Just incase your wondering where this was, it was a WU ranch.

buckhunter

Reaction score
oh well we all miss sometimes. i was on Hill little bit ago and missed agreat oppertunity just didn't get the shot off quick enough. good luck spring pig is just around the corner as well as turkey. nd trust me my mind italready off my last missed oppertunity.

Mel Carter

Reaction score
Buckhunter,
This was on Hill also, north end of the property. I'm going to do some fishing on Mariner on Tuesday, then try to gear up for my first ever spring Turkey!

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
We all miss from time to time. You'll get em next time.
Best part was that you got out.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
The best part about missing is there's no pig to deal with! No long drag either.

It happens; at least yours was a couple hundred yards--I choked on one in December that was like 50 yards--can you say flinch? I can! It seems like for me I have to muff a shot like that once a year just to remind me of the three basics, you know, "Trigger, Trigger and Trigger".

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
Don't feel bad, it happens to everyone from time to time. And it it makes you feel better I misses one last weekend that was about 70 yards. Just caught a bit of the swine flu... kinda like buck fever. Then I missed two more that weekend. I hadn't missed a pig in 10 years and missed three in one weekend. While two of the three shots weren't easy ones the first one that started it all. Just take some time at the range and that should help rebuild any lost confidence.

hntboar

Reaction score
Must be the day for misses...................................

Went to Hunter Liggest today and ran into 6 big hogs all over 200 lbs or so. 6 shot about
20 rounds or so between all of us.
Quite a show. After seeing them run we tried to
catch them in the truck and I dropped off my partner ahead of the hogs so he can get a shot and
he missed 4 times at around 125 yards. I figured I would cut them off before the crossed the
road and parked the truck and waited. I had 2 rounds and I was ready.

The hogs crested the hill and sure enough they were headed right to me. One was 50 yards
behind the other and I figured just enough time to shoot one and maybe the other.

I raise my rifle and take aim and notice I was not loaded, went to load a round and
the my rifle jams up and I can not fire off around. I tried to get it un jammed and no luck.

Meanwhile the first hog is 75 yards away, then 50 yards and still coming towards me and then 30 yards

I figured I better do something quick, so I raised my figure gun and shot the first hog
10 times and he just kept going.

Then here comes the next hog, 30 yards in front of me, gun still jammed

I take out my trusty finger gun and shoot it 10 times and he just keeps running right by me into the
other area.

All in all it was a fun day. We do farily well at FHL and I can not remember when we had shot so many times and did not least bag at least one hog.

So misses to all today!

Have a great one!
Hntboar

Freedivr2

Reaction score
Adrenaline is a terrible thing sometimes............

Better luck next time, Mel...aside from making sure your shooter is good to go, always remember in the field; aim small, miss small.....when I remember that ahead of shooting, it really helps. Unless the critter has big horns, then of course I turn to jello......

XDHUNTER

Reaction score
hntboar,
Next time yo'll get it.... what area did you go?

hntboar

Reaction score
XD Hunter-
We were in area 8 and the hogs ran into area 11.

Checked out area 2 and so lots of sign there as well but no luck.

Hntboar

XDHUNTER

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hntboar @ Mar 23 2008, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
XD Hunter-
We were in area 8 and the hogs ran into area 11.

Checked out area 2 and so lots of sign there as well but no luck.

Hntboar[/b]
Are you sure area 11 not the restricted area 12? they always run to the safe zone.....

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hey Mel... bummer, but there ya go. Now we know you're human (there were rumors).

I missed one last weekend down in Santa Ynez. 180 yard poke with the .308. Can't believe I missed, but there ya go!

hntboar

Reaction score
XDhunter-
No they did not run into 12, but into 11.

Hntboar

Muggs

Reaction score

Missed an axis buck a couple of weeks ago at 75 yards. I had him cut up and on the bbq before pulling the trigger. Imagine the surprise when he took off without being touched. Major brain-fart. But misses make us focus harder the next time.

Take care.

QEU

Reaction score
i missed one a day for being in the office and not in the field... so there. glad you guys had fun!

jpichler

Reaction score
dont feel bad, my friend called me from the ranch and told me the pigs were at it again (rooting down in the yard area) and wanted to see if I wanted to come by and look for some pigs. Less than 30 minuttes i was on my way to Cloverdale. I get there with just an hour of light left and head out, glassing the ridges...no pigs. In the AM we hed out and just as we are getting into the backside my friend see two pigs while i am glassing some deer.

so here is where I make my first mistake, I get greedy and tell him "lets get both" they are comming towards us head on at an angle and I tell him "you take the first one" and I will take the second, he is using an old 30-30 lever gun with open sights...ge goes "are you ready" and I nod, he fires and misses and now suddenly its a chineese fire sale, I aim and misses as well and in no time the hogs are gone, him and I look at each other thinking "amateur hour"

either way we had a good laugh, walked for a few hours and saw turkey (completely oblivious to this Saturday) and bunches of deer. I will be back up there next week.

--JP

hntboar

Reaction score
JP-
I love that story. It seems that it happens to us all. Your not the only one to do this. I remember doing the same thing and of course ended up with nothing.

Thanks for sharing.
Hntboar

rodneyshishido

Reaction score
JP-
That's hilarious!

Last weekend I took a friend's 16 year old son hunting. If it wasn't for his young eyes, I probably would have come home empty handed. Took a goat and a boar.

We spotted a few goats first a few hundred yards away. I thought I would show him a little about stalking. I did not plan our stalk quite right and when we came over the last ridge, instead of being about 50 yards above them, we were at the same level and eye to eye about 20 feet apart. The herd took off. I'm standing their watching them run off and my partner is pointing and telling me "over there" and I answering "where? where?". Finally spot the billy and knock him down.

On the way back to the truck, we here some noise down in the gully next to the path. We both stop and look. Several minutes go by and I don't here or see anything so I start to walk away. My partner calls me back and again is pointing into the gully "there! there!" and again I'm answering "where? where?" Finally spot the boar and nail him.

Another nice thing about having a teenager hunt with you, we went into the gully, I gutted the boar and he packed it back up to the trail.

Who needs a spotting scope, just bring a teenager hunting!

Top Bottom