I need help with camera

jgrrgj

Reaction score
Ok, I feel pretty silly, but I cannot get the homebrew to work.  Here is what I got, I wired it per the diagram.  When I flip the DPDT switch, the camera flashes, so I figure it works.  So, I flip the DPDT the other way and when I move infront of the motion sensor the LED lights up for a few seconds, but the camera does not activate.  What is wrong?

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you may have it right. The led may not work with the camera with how yo wired it. Does the camera trip with motion also? What sensor are you using. There will be plenty of help. Good luck.MC.

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Using the DPDT switch thrown in one direction the LED test light works,  the other direction the camera fires.  The LED and camera don't work at the same time.  It's one or the other with the DPDT switch.    

Todd

jgrrgj

Reaction score
Thanks MC, for the response, all the parts are Radio Shack per the drawing.  The camera does not trip with motion, but I think the circuit work because the LED lights/trips with motion.

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
Did you wire your up according to this diagram? Check this link. MC.

RS diagram

(Edited by MCinIL at 2:12 pm on June 21, 2002)

jgrrgj

Reaction score
Thanks Todd for the reply.  That part of the circuit does work.  When I flip the DPDT in one direction, the camera flashes once.  Then when I flip it the other way, the LED trips with motion.  But my problem is, is that no matter where I put the DPDT switch, the camera does not trip with motion.  
Help!

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
check you wires again,  sounds like you mis-wired something.  That's the right diagram you're using.

Todd

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I did not look at the link but why would the camera flash when you flip the switch.  The camera should only flash when motion is detected and not when you flip the switch.  You know the motion detector works since the LED appears to be working when you trigger the sensor.  My guess is that you have the Camera connected or wired wrong.  Since it flashes it is probably wired right but it not connected right to the board(relay).  If it was connected wrong or bad relay then it would fire the first time and because the button is still held down it will not fire again until release by flipping the DPDT switch.  I would check the relay(opto) and the connections to the relay(opto).

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
Check the relay and see if the contacts are closed together or if it is being powered up some how. Remember it has a 30 second power up that when it is first turned on it will keep the relay energized.

jgrrgj

Reaction score
I am stumped.  I checked the wireing and as far as I can tell, it is correct.  I have used all the componets just as detailed.  I checked the camera, all is ok.  How do I check the relay?  And it is Normally open.

jgrrgj

Reaction score
I made a guess at to what pin two is.  On the board that I have, pin one and two are the same.  Same side of the board.  Also, I unsoldered the speaker and that is where I connected the LED.  Is this my mistake?

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
With the camera unplugged from it check for continuity across the two wires for the camera. It may be in one of the connectors. If you want try to eliminate the plug and receptacle. Wire the camera up direct and then try. The connectors are sometimes to blame.

jgrrgj

Reaction score
The two wires coming out of the camera, if I touch them together, the camera flashes.  Is this correct?

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
Yes that is right. Now check with an ohm meter and see what you have on the two from the sensor. Tripped or not. MC.

jgrrgj

Reaction score
I have 0 ohms coming from the connector that I connect to the camera, tripped or not.

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
Check across the other two leads to the relay for volts, tripped or not and see what you should have.

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
Do you mean 0 or infinity. You should have 0 only when tripped.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom