I need help with longer battery life

markr

Reaction score
I have had my first cam in the woods for 2 weeks now and i have started a second[you aint kidding this is addicting]. with my first cam i followed jesse's instructions to a T. on this cam i would like to have longer battery life so i don't have to go to the woods every week. could someone tell me what i need to do differently so i could achieve this? This is what my first cam consists of: rs motion sensor, owl pf date, 5vdc relay, silicon diode, spdt, dpdt switches and 9 vt battery. thanks    

vinnie

Reaction score
I have been getting good results with lithium batteries. I have had AA's in my camera for months and a 9volts is usually good for three to four weeks.

GeorgiaHunter

Reaction score
Markr, A couple of things you can do relative to extending time between batt changes.
1. The easiest is to use multiple 9V batt. wired in parrallel (I have 5 in mine). It has been running for a month now.
2. Use CMOS logic switches instead of reed relays. They use much less power than relays and they will take a wide range of input voltage vs having to use a specific 5 or 12 volt relay. Here is an example:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...5Fid=900%2D6505
I am working on a design for my second cam at this point and am planning on the following:

1. Light/Dark sensor using archilochus's design which uses CMOS logic
2. Timer function using a modification of tinhorn's design which uses digital logic to deliver the appropriate enable/disable to the cam using "and" and "not" funtions to work in concert with the light sensor, walk test light, etc. all using CMOS technology.

3. Event counter

4. Not sure about the sensor yet, but I would like to use the MS-20 due to its increased (adjustible) sensitivity. It will also run off of 6V. I am concerned with the power consumption issues though.

5. Run all circuits off of 6V lantern battery(s)

Does anyone have any suggestions relative to the sensor?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
The easiest way, if you have room in the enclosure is to change battery types.

The RS PIR actually cuts down the 9v's to 5volts to run the electronics (not the relay coil itself, which is running on batt volts, 9v's in your case)  The 5volts comes from an internal voltage regulator that only needs to have a minimum of 5.6 volts input to regulate it's output to 5 volts.  Even when the batt pack gets so weak it's below 5.6 volts, the PIR will work a while longer I think

Some Ideas:

1.  4 AA's has 4 times the capacity as a 9volt so would last almost that many times longer.  The batt holder even has the same type snap-on as the 9v's and the batt pack is not much bigger than a 9v.....

2.  or use 4 "C's", which has 10 times more juice than a 9v

3.  or use a 6v Lantern battery which has 18 times more battery juice than a 9v batt

Let us know how it works out for you if you do this!

Note:  you could even run the PIR on 12v but would need to change
             relays to the 12 volt type if you do....

Tinhorn

GeorgiaHunter

Reaction score
Tinhorn, So the RS sensor will run off of a 6V lantern batt? What would your recommendation be relative to a PIR for 6V? RS or MS?

coyotehunters

Reaction score
SO I COULD USE A BATTERY HOLDER THAT HOLDS 4 AAS INSTEAD OF MY 9V BATTERY AND GET 4 TIMES THE LIFE. THAT SOUNDS LIKE A NO BRAINER. ANY PROBLEMS WITH DOING IT THIS WAY

Tinhorn

Reaction score
coyotehunters, no problems, watch battery polarity if it don't have the battery snap like a 9v batt does

GH, I have never tried the RS PIR in the woods, only used the MS20 but the RS uses way less current than the MS20

I have done some experimenting on an RS PIR and will post a report in the next day or so,  there is an easy way to get rid of the singing relay problem and it gives a 30 sec delay in the procces (betw pix's)

Tinhorn

wvhunter

Reaction score
I use the RS pir and OWL PF cam setup.  I normally get about 2 months from the PIR and 3-4 rolls of film before changing batteries in either.  This is using a std. 9v battery on the PIR.  I have never had a battery in the PIR go clear dead but change it every 6 weeks to 2 months just to be safe.

Tinhorn I can hardly wait to see how to stop the relay from singing and the 30s delay.

Advertisement

Top Bottom