I need some help.

TruShot

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a game camera. I am using the Radio shack sensor and a poleroid 2400FF.
I have the camera wired correctly because I can jump the wires and it will take a pic. But I followed the directions and drawing for modifying the radio shack sensor and it wont trip my camera.  If I switch the double switch the test light flashes as I trip the sensor but it wont trip the camera. It seems like the relay might be stuck because when I connect the wires from the relay to the camera it trips but I think it is staying open.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

gizz

Reaction score
You did get a N.O. (normally open) relay?

TruShot

Reaction score
I'll have to double check when I get home tonight, but I should have exact part number in the description on the how to modify the Radio shack sensor.

Steve Jo

Reaction score
Trushot, did you get a voltmeter?  Its not crucial at this stage but it is certaintly helpful in trouble shooting this stuff.

I test the relay with power off for resistance across the two wires that go to the camera.  they should be infinite, meaning a whole bunch of resistance.
When I power on, it goes through a test cycle in which the meter shows a fluctuating resistance, I dont know how much because it goes pretty fast, but It's safe to assume that if you see fluctuation that the relay is working.  Then one the test is done it goes back into an "Open" mode waiting for the PIR to trip, once the pir trips you get a readable fluctuation again, this fluctuation is the relay closing momentarrily and it will allow the camera to take its picture.

What I had to do on the RS PIR, because I had the same problem as you, is wire the relay to the speaker wires instead of IC pin 2.  Once I did that it worked, but the relay makes a noise very audible like the chiming of the alarm that would normally go to the speaker.  Seems to me we should be able to put a capacitor in there or something to even out the voltage going to the relay, but that is beyond my ability, my ability allowed me to put the relay in a film canister and fill the canister with hot melt, now I cant hear it :)

Keep posting with your questions, they help a lot of us new guys.

TruShot

Reaction score
Thanks Steve I'll have to find my voltmeter tonight and check it. Did you have to use a 9v relay? I saw one coment on the page about the RS PIR

"Pin #2 of the "big IC" on the circuit board gives a 5 volt output. If you use the speaker wires to drive your relay you'll need to use a 9 volt relay, as the speaker is driven with raw battery voltage."

As for the chimming sound I think i'll leave it. I was reading another post about the sound making the animals look at the camera, sonds like an idea to me.

Steve Jo

Reaction score
I had good results with the 5v relay off the speaker wire, someone who knows more than me will have to make a recomendation on whether the 9v is a better relay to use.  Mine is working now, but with what you said I could be pushing the envelope.

As for the chiming I dont like it, that's a completely personal point of view on my part, the less the deer know that there is something in the woods the better.

When I get these up and working and in use as an effective part of my scouting equipment Ill have a day night sensor that will disable the camera but allow a counter to record PIR trips in darkness.  I want zero disturbance in my hunting area.

Again just me.  Good luck with your project.

davered1

Reaction score
Trueshot,

Test your relay for continuity.with the power on and the Pir tripped(chime mode) it should have continuity through the wires that go to camera,after 5 seconds the relay should release and you won't have continuity any more.

Check that you have power going throgh it properly and diode is soldered in correct way.

TruShot

Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys. Well I figured out my problem. I tested the continuity with the unit off and the relay was closed. So I desoldered the relay and checked it again with all the wires disconnected and it was open. so this time I wired it to the speaker wires and tested it again and it was closed. Now I'm thinking how can that be, well after thinking a while something popped into my head and yup theres my problem. I took apart the sterio plug comming off the relay and what happened was after I soldered the wires to the plug and screwed the cover on the plug it pressed the wires together so it was shorting inside the plug.  

Lesson learned . I will watch that more carefully next time.

Anyway everything works I just need to get it all mounted in a case.

Thanks again.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom