i need to back a bit here

californiacoyotes

Reaction score
i am looking into building my first cam. i like the size of the elph LT and i currently have a cam with a sureshot AF.  for my first time bulding a cam which one of these camera's would be easiest for a first timer? also i have a few easy, basic questions too.

what is a refresh?
what is a board?
which sensor is used to get a flush mount?

cc

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I've not seen either Cam so won't go there but will tackle 2 of your questions

Refresh (Refresh Pulse)
This "Pulse" is needed on some cams to do 1 or 2 things, sometimes both

1.  Flash

The Flash Charge on some Cams (the Owl PF is one) will get weak as it sets idle for a few hours or over night.  When the Shutter Button is pressed (either by your finger or electronically, when Movement is sensed) the Flash Circuit will have to "Charge Up" to a full charge before the cam will snap a pix.  This can take a few seconds and the animal might be gone before the cam can take a pix of it.

On some cams (like the Owl PF), momentarily holding the Shutter Button down half way (half-press) will automatically charge the flash circuit back up so it will take a pix quicker when the shutter is pressed fully.  

The Refresh Pulse, in this case, is an electronic finger that delivers a "Half-Press" every so often to keep the Flash Circuit fully charged so the cam snaps a pix almost immediatly when motion is sensed

2.  Battery Saver Mode (Camera Auto-Shutdown)

Some cams will go to sleep if it senses no activity (like a shutter half press) for a few minutes.  This is bad, as you can guess......

The Refresh Pulse will prevent the Auto-Shutdown mode from occuring in some cameras (the Owl PF Don't go to sleep, by the way)

Board (printed circuit board, PC Board, or module)

In our case, this means the PIR Electronics Board or a Timer Board.  This is the part that has all the electronic components soldered to it and usually don't include it's enclosure.  You put the "Board" into an enclosure.  (you might have to build the board, if we'er talking a timer, etc)

I think about all the Sensors ever used for the Movement Cams have been flushed mounted but I'll not go there either.....

Tinhorn

Archilochus

Reaction score
Tinhorn... I don't think you're getting paid enough!! ;-))  As always - great explanation.
>>>>
On the Owl AF vs Elph LT - they're both easy to wire up - but only a few here use the Elph - so you'll find a LOT more 'tech-support' with the Owl cam.

Archilochus

Top Bottom