I tried a flash reflector...

MBullism

Reaction score
I've read several posts in the past where some folks are using the reflectors from flashlights to augment there flash.  I figured it was a good way to futher seal the flash from the lense to avoid flash bleed.  I believe it was GunDocc said he used the rectangular ones from disposable flashlights.

I tried them, and what a difference!  These two pics are from the same cam, on the same tree.  The reflector is the only "physical" difference in setups.  The after pic IS pointed "up" just alittle further, but I don't think that is responsible for this difference.

Take a peek and let me know what you think-

M

Flash Comparison

(Edited by MBullism at 11:10 pm on May 9, 2002)

SAW

Reaction score
MBullism,That was a remarkable difference.What kind of camera do you use and how did you install the reflector?SAW

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Thats quite a difference.  I wonder if the camera adjusted the exposure to compensate for the snow.  I'd like to see the difference with the same background.  I think I remember shrtcrkt trying this and If I recall he got the same results, better flash.  I think he had a house in the picture.  I read it but diddn't ever look at the pics

Gun Docc

Reaction score
MBullism ,

looks like you improved on something....hehehe

i have been doing this for some time with a small reflector out of a cheap disposable flashlight

the ones i am using are made by Garrity which have a kinda squared reflector and they work good with the shape of the flash on the Owl PF's

i have built cam's using the reflector and not using it and to me and my setups the flash range is better

look at it like a flashlight , why do they use the reflector if not to get more range from the light bulb by concentrating the light more ?

Later,

woodsman

Reaction score
Looks good MB! I'm going to Walmart to get me one tonight ! what an improvement
NICE DEER PICS TO :surprised-purple::surprised-purple:

(Edited by woodsman at 6:30 am on May 10, 2002)

MBullism

Reaction score
AEH-  I hadn't thought of the camera compensating, but I really expected the snow to reflect some of the flash and improve things, instead the flash hits it and dies...
Both shots were taken with 400 speed kodak film.

GD-  I thought it was you that posted the Garrity idea, thanks.  This setup has an owl PF and the rectangular reflector out of those very same Garrity flashlights.  My wife thought me crazy when I came home with 6, LOL.  I give 'em to the kids to kill the batteries for me then scavenge the reflector.

SAW- I take the back of the reflector to the side of my grinding wheel to remove and open up the hole to the right size, use the dremel to make a slot to fit around the portion of the cam body thats in the way, and hot glue in place.  I put a seal strip on the perimeter of the reflector to sit tight to the housing glass, and colored the hot glue with black laundry marker.

I'm sold, and will be using these from now on.  I may have to invest in sunglasses for the deer, hehe

M

Munce27520

Reaction score
WOW, what a difference ! !  I am going to give this a try on my setup. I suppose I will also need a Dremel Tool. Thanks for the reminder of this and the previous post.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Looks good. Big difference, I'll have to go buy some flashlights today.

Lew

Reaction score
Terrific Idea.  I have been getting flash bleed through and this looks like a good idea to shield the flash as well get better flash range.  I will look at flash lights today to see if I can get one that will work well with the CSI box.  Thanks for the idea.  Lew

Old Scout

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I've been wondering how to overcome the weak flash on the cheap digital cams.  Now if some one comes up with a way to overcome the short battery life, I'm in business. :wink-yellow:

SAW

Reaction score
MBullism,                                                                                                                      Thanks for sharing the info,I'll be working on it soon.                                                                                                                                                SAW

whitetailfan

Reaction score
MB,
Can you provide some pics of how you mounted the flash reflector or maybe a diagram of the modifications you made to the reflector??  I'm a VERY visual person. In other words, I'm a dummy unless I can copy it!! LOL  Thanks!

Rooter

Reaction score
I have used similar reflectors.  I think that in the snow picture the camera is pointed quite a bit more downward.  It is important to have the cam pointed in a level direction if you want depth to your pics with distance.

Rooter

MBullism

Reaction score
hi rooter-

The after pic is pointed up just a bit more, but I've had this cam in several locations and and setups and never got flashes like this 'til the reflector.  I really expected the snow would help bounce the flash into the background if anything...  can't say for sure, but the next roll(s) should tell...

M

Latest Posts

Top Bottom