I.V. report

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
Wife and I went down this weekend for a little P&Q.

Friday night fishing the All American between the Highline and Hwy7. One hookup. lost what felt like a good solid fish. No more bites. Back to motel 2am.

Back out Sat morning 8am. LOTS of rabbits including one HUGE Jackrabbit. I think she was protecting a batch of young-uns. She stayed pretty close to those hay bales until we pulled up, then she loped off to the edge of the brush and just sat there. Two full grown pheasants one cock. Unbelievable amount of small bass. I haven't seen that many bass in many years down there. Got checked by a DFG guy. Older gentleman, didn't get his name. He was really interested in checking my coolers. Didn't even ask for fishing licenses until we offered. No solid hits - no fish.

Soaked in the pool for a couple hours with some cold brewskies. Had the pool to ourself.

Tried to get out Sat. afternoon for a couple rabbits and some squirrels, but a blower motor that went out sent us headed for parts stores. No blower motor equals no A/C other than what gets pushed through the vents when the vehicle is moving. Overhead reads 121 degrees.

We gave up on the blower motor and went fishin. We got there as the sun was setting. We found a good spot to just to sit and waste stink bait. There was no wind, the bugs were thick and the beer was cold. It was pretty close to heaven! It was about 9 pm and down the road comes this truck blasting along. The water guys and the B.P. slow down as they get near you. This guy wasn't slowing down. My wife says that %$@#$%@ is going to dust us out. On go the brakes when he's right up on us. I look over and realize it's another DFG officer! That's two in the same day! After fishing down there for 15 years and never ever being checked. I was pretty surprised. This guy's name was Lee and he was a heck of a nice guy. He told me where the cats had been biting at. Why the minimum size for bass went to 13" in the canals. Where the deer are on and on. Very friendly very helpful.

Did anybody know D-12 sold out during the draw for the last two years in a row? He said that as long as there is a chance the forest will be shut down he expects that the desert zones will sell out in the draw. He also said most of the bucks down there are 3x or 4x with 20+" spreads!

Anyway, we fished until about 1am and didn't catch a darned thing but a good buzz.

We checked around and personally I was not highly impressed with the dove numbers. They seem to be a lot lower than what I've seen about this time for the last couple years. I'm not saying the #'s are dismal, but they sure aren't impressive.

ESSposse

Banned
Reaction score
JAck.....
Next time you venture down there..... I've got a spot or 2 I'd like you to check out....

No maps on paper plates this time.

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
No maps on paper plates this time. [/b]

I'm afraid to find out what your skills with Paint are!!

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
LOL!

Too true! Did you notice the writing was in line with the suds buzz you had last year?

ESSposse

Banned
Reaction score
LOL...... a little TOO fimiliar.....
We'll get you set up right this time.

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
No worries. I'm probably going to stay south of I-8 for the 1st hunt. Way too many yahoo's on the north side for my comfort.

tinner

Reaction score
hey jdc what do those cts like to eat in them canals. mackrell, chicken livers, stink bait?

SaltonSeadog

Reaction score
Originally posted by tinner@Aug 9 2004, 01:40 PM
hey jdc what do those cts like to eat in them canals. mackrell, chicken livers, stink bait?
Judging by the waste left by the catfishermen, I would say most slobs,at least, use chicken livers. I usually pick up three or four empty tubs each trip.
Now the guys who leave the evidence may not be the most sucessful, but they use a lot of it!

tinner

Reaction score
thanks a lot salty dog
say can you use two hooks in the canals

SaltonSeadog

Reaction score
With out looking it up, I think they opened up the whole Colorado River district to two rods this year.
AS far as two hooks on one line? Most lures have two. Two hooks on one line for Bait? I will look it up!

SaltonSeadog

Reaction score
Says not more than 3 hooks or lures, and must be closely attended.

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
I use a lot of stink bait, and have had real good success. For some reason we got skunked this trip. First time for everything.

Generally for a couple nights fishing we come home with 7-10 cats.

They eat just fine, but I would probably only fish the main canals though. I don't think I'd eat fish out of the feeder canals.

The DFG Officer told me they were catching them hot and heavy on the west side of 98 on the All American on the drop just past the 98. He said they were using shrimp and minnows.

ESS- I just remembered you mentioned about scouting. That was my last trip before opener. If something changes I'll let you know!

tinner

Reaction score
jdc when you say stink bait do you mean the dough bait or are you talking about that messy
hog wild stuff.

thanks alot for everything

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
Tinner-

At last check I think I had 8 jars of "stuff"

some dough baits, some mixed stuff, and yes a Hawg Wild and a Bowkers! Yum!

tinner

Reaction score
sounds good i think i'll take a frozen makrel, a bag of shrimp, some stink bait dough and a jar of hog wild.
gosh i hope we are there long enough to use up all that bait.

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
If you are only going to fish a couple days I would limit it to fresh shrimp and Hawg Wild. (or Bowkers)

You can really pack that stink bait up under the scales of a shrimp and it will last quite a while.

Are you thinking about fishing the Highline?

tinner

Reaction score
yeah jdc, i was going to fish highline where montgomery crosses over.we camp just a little further up so after dinner i'll go and wet a line. do the fish prefer to be near
the spill and in the whitewater or do they stay just beyond it?

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
Actually I 've seen both. I watched a guy pull out what must have been a 14lb + cat by casting right into the boiling froth. I don't think his line was in the water for 4 seconds.

Then I sat down one afternoon where the Highline splits from the All American. All these guys were fishing 25-50 yards down from the drop and were having a wide open bite for about an hour.

I think a lot of what I have seen work best is a lighter weight and let the water work it down a ways. At that point I let it sit on what seems like the shore for about 5 minutes so any fish that chased it over, or caught the scent can find it. That 5 minute wait time is where I catch the most fish.

When you fish with things like Bowkers, make sure you dip it in the water for a few seconds before you cast it. That will allow it to cool down and firm up a touch and it won't all just fall off.

Top Bottom