I want a "REAL" AR-15! Is it too late? How to build an AR-15

henmar77

Reaction score
So I finally decided to either purchase or build an AR, but not sure if its too late to get a "REAL" one. Ive read the current laws and it seems any AR now is more like a updated SKS. I was still wondering if there was someway to purchase an AR with pre-ban features(detachable mag) still. There always seems to be a loophole for everything else, is there one for this?

Last edited:

solus

Reaction score
build it! Ive been thinking of building one myself check calguns Ive seen some good deals for uppers and lowers. do more research good luck and post up Ide like to find out more myself. I missed a turners deal for a lower for under $100 last month

Scottyman

Reaction score
So I finally decided to either purchase or build an AR, but not sure if its too late to get a "REAL" one. Ive read the current laws and it seems any AR now is more like a updated SKS. I was still wondering if there was someway to purchase an AR with pre-ban features(detachable mag) still. There always seems to be a loophole for everything else, is there one for this?
A "real" AR? You must be in California? If so, good luck getting or building a "real" AR.

SpiritWalker

Reaction score
I built one from parts this year however it is CA legal. Basically it is a full featured AR however I use the Radlock mag release which is a dual function mag release button.. The button has a screw in center that allows you to change it from a "bullet button" to a normal finger press release.. In bullet button mode it requires a tool (bullet tip or other type of poker to insert and drop the mag).. pretty lame but if the $hit hits the fan I'll be backing out the screw :).. The pistol grip and vertical foregrip both have compartments and I carry a small screwdriver inside in case I need access to it. Not ideal but I'll take it.. There is a wealth of info on Calguns.org. PM me with any questions.. I'm not an legal expert. Also the guys (and gals) at Riflegear can be very helpful.

henmar77

Reaction score
Thanks for posting SpiritWalker. I have been living on Calguns lately. Im looking to build a hunting rifle. However, that doesnt change the fact that i still would like the conviniece of a removable mag. Still a little confusing, but really i think my only issue is the fixed mag. I like your resolve to that issue. So when you built your gun did you register it?

SpiritWalker

Reaction score
Well, it's registered with the DOJ as a "Long gun" which is done at the time of purchase.. In my case I purchased a stripped lower which is the only piece that is considered the gun and has the serial number.. As far as I know, you can no longer register them as assault rifles to get around the restricted features. Technically mine is not an assault rifle because it does not have a removable mag (requires a "tool").

Mr. Luckypants

Reaction score
I got into ARs last year. I'm hooked for sure. The only difference between a "real" AR and a CA legal AR is the bullet button. I have the same bullet button as what SpritWalker described. Also, if you build one, think about what the primary purpose for your AR. My first is a carbine which is fine but having some problems (FTE) with shooting metal casings. I plan on building a replica of the A4 next then 2 middys after that.

henmar77

Reaction score
I got into ARs last year. I'm hooked for sure. The only difference between a "real" AR and a CA legal AR is the bullet button. I have the same bullet button as what SpritWalker described. Also, if you build one, think about what the primary purpose for your AR. My first is a carbine which is fine but having some problems (FTE) with shooting metal casings. I plan on building a replica of the A4 next then 2 middys after that.
So did you register your lower as a long rifle or the whole gun?

Mr. Luckypants

Reaction score
I bought the lower and did the standard "long gun" paper work. I bought the complete upper sperately.

henmar77

Reaction score
I bought the lower and did the standard "long gun" paper work. I bought the complete upper sperately.
I am knowledgeable when it comes to disassembling and reassembling the guns I have. However, I have never built one from scratch. How difficult was it? Did you have to do any modifications to make things fit?

SpiritWalker

Reaction score
It's pretty easy to build from parts.. Brownells has a great step by step video tutorial.. Just do the research, buy quality parts, get the necessary tools and go for it.

Mr. Luckypants

Reaction score
If you really want more info, go to www.ar15.com. I would spend hours reading the forums there learning everything I can. They have hundreds of pics on different variations of ARs. Look at the pinned topics there for info.

henmar77

Reaction score
If you really want more info, goto ar15.com. I would spend hours reading the forums there learning everything I can. They have hundreds of pics on different variations of ARs. Look at the pinned topics there for info.
Yea I've been there as well. Im overwelmed at this point. Need to gather my thoughts and figure out which direction to go with this build. The lower reciever seems to be the biggest issue considering i will mostly not have anything else on my gun that is questionable by law.

henmar77

Reaction score
Is it hard to top load a CA compliant AR?

DirtyDave

Banned
Reaction score
Is it hard to top load a CA compliant AR?
You dont have to Top-Load. You drop the mag and swap it out. The mag is not "permanently fixed" in the gun. Do you know what a bullet button is? It makes it so you cannot release the mag without using a "tool". There is a small hole (too small for fingers) that you insert a bullet tip or screwdriver or allen wrench etc into to release the mag. If you keep your tool of preference on a bracelet or tether so its quickly accessed, then changing mags is no sweat.

billt

Reaction score
It is quickly advancing to the point it will be cheaper, easier, faster, and more convient to move to Arizona, than it will to build a California "compliant" AR-15 rifle.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I'm ready to build one. Let's make this a JHO build thread or start a new one? henmar, what lowers are you looking at? Plinking and coyotes would be what I' wanting if for.

Top Bottom