I went hog hunting and all I got was this AR-15

Fugaloo

Reaction score
Seriously, anybody missing an AR-15..........Ahem,........you know who you are, just pony up and admit to leaving a gun behind. It's ok that it's a hunting party foul, or that only certain types of people would leave an AR-15 sitting on the bench when they go to leave.
IMG_0510.jpg

solus

Reaction score
oh you found my ar... who the heck would forget their AR. They are soo expensive

BigAssWhiteBoy

Reaction score
well if nobody claims it I'll take the upper! Is that an Aimpoint on top of that or a Vortex?

Caninelaw

Banned
Reaction score
Not smart to keep that for any length of time. If it were mine and I had left it somewhere (yes, it would be very stupid and irresponsible of me to have done that but...) as soon as I went back and checked and found it gone my next stop would be the local Sheriff or PD to report it stolen. If the guy has the serial number then if you are caught with it, despite your good intentions of trying to get it back to the owner, then you're hooked up for either theft of the firearm, receiving stolen property or misappropriation of lost property. Had I found it my next stop would be the local Sheriff's office or PD to turn it in. Yeah, you might be able to get out of it by showing this thread to law enforcement, if the investigating officer is a "reasonable" person, but even so you probably would have been cuffed and booked and sometime later in the day, or even a day or two later, you might get a chance to talk to the investigating officer and get it straightened out. I know you're trying to be a good guy and keep the associated problems for the owner of getting law enforcement involved but bottom line is you gotta cover your own butt.

StoneTower

Reaction score
I think you are seriously overreacting. There was a group of 6 people and a guide on a private ranch and the guy left his rifle behind (probably excited about the pig he got). If what you say were to happen, there would be a problem reporting it stolen as it was lost and not stolen. The police frown on people who do not tell the truth. I believe in being careful but I would hope that one of the hunting party would help me out in a similar situation.

Fugaloo... you didn't commit any felonies on the way home with his rifle did you???

Not smart to keep that for any length of time. If it were mine and I had left it somewhere (yes, it would be very stupid and irresponsible of me to have done that but...) as soon as I went back and checked and found it gone my next stop would be the local Sheriff or PD to report it stolen. If the guy has the serial number then if you are caught with it, despite your good intentions of trying to get it back to the owner, then you're hooked up for either theft of the firearm, receiving stolen property or misappropriation of lost property. Had I found it my next stop would be the local Sheriff's office or PD to turn it in. Yeah, you might be able to get out of it by showing this thread to law enforcement, if the investigating officer is a "reasonable" person, but even so you probably would have been cuffed and booked and sometime later in the day, or even a day or two later, you might get a chance to talk to the investigating officer and get it straightened out. I know you're trying to be a good guy and keep the associated problems for the owner of getting law enforcement involved but bottom line is you gotta cover your own butt.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
<snip> The police frown on people who do not tell the truth. <snip>
StoneTower, Caninelaw IS police; hence his username. I would trust his assessment.

Fug, I think it's a grand score but given the legalities in CA, why not wipe your fingerprints off of it, and take it to the local Gendarme? Somebody, somewhere is sick to their stomach (unless they were TRYING to ditch it). Kudos for speaking up.

DAWG

Reaction score
A few years ago, I only noticed my Taurus revolver came out of my holster after walking all day hunting. I tried to follow the path the next two days, but some of it was in heavy brush. I reported it missing to the local sherrif's office and the DOJ. Still gone... I kind of suspect it came out when I slid on my butt down a slide to the road in one place, if so, somebody picked it up and took off. Oh well, I'm sure the guy will be glad to get it back, but I would have taken it straight to the ranch owner if they got permission there, if not there, the nearest police station.

Fugaloo

Reaction score
Calm down everybody, I know who's gun this is, it's one of us. I'm just clowning this guy a little for leaving it behind.

steve45

Reaction score
people are way too serious sometimes here. It was obvious you were giving a friend a hard time.

ruger_mac

Reaction score
My bad!!! Now i know what Jaun meant when he asked me to take a pic of my AR!!!!!

Now how the hell do i get it back

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Calm down everybody, I know who's gun this is, it's one of us. I'm just clowning this guy a little for leaving it behind.
Yeah well, I knew that the whole time, I was just playing along. :wedgie:

StoneTower

Reaction score
I agree that if you found a gun in the woods that the correct thing to do would be to call the sheriff without even touching it. It could have been used in a crime scene. If on the other hand you are on a hunting trip with a group on a private ranch and you know who the gun belongs to it is an entirely different situation. In this situation, I would have probably called the guide or the organizer of the hunt to get the number of the guy who left it behind.

If you go shooting at the range with one of your friends and they forget one of their guns in your suv do you take it straight to the police station??? :reagan-bangin-head:

Yamaha Cowboy

Reaction score
Mid 80's my freind lost his beautiful Browning Hi Power (brushed nickel w gold trigger) 5 years ago he gets a call from some law agency. "we show you as the last registered owner of a Browning Hi power...We found it.. you want it back?"

KTKT70

Reaction score
nice... always good to bust a buddys chops... how was the hunt. did u get any pigs or just that nice gun.... lmao

Top Bottom