I went in with the idea of getting a Glock 20... But....

TheGDog

Reaction score
I went in with the idea of getting a Glock 20... But.... they didn't have one in the store.

They brought out a Kimber 1911 that was real nice. But pricier than I wanted to go, and I'd have to change out the sights to my liking. But then I got to thinking, if I was willing to entertain the idea of that higher priced pistol, hell, why don't I just go for the Marlin 1894 .44 Mag SBL I've been pining for.

Turns out that one I'd checked out on a prior visit had been sold already.

Today I had them hand me a standard straight-stocked 1894 .44 Mag.

Oh hey... yeah... Ok... I'm likin' this even more! Let's do it!

And now the CA-mandated psychological torture of having to wait for it begins...
1894.png
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1894/model-1894-44-magnumspecial

dthome

Reaction score
That is one sweet rifle. I’ve always thought it would be fun owning a lever action, but 30-30 for me. Congrats!

TheGDog

Reaction score
Thanks. I have a 336 BL that I used to take my 2nd Buck. But it's heavy enough that it wears on ya a lil on long hike ins. And no real good reason for it to be that heavy in my estimation.

This 1894 is a FULL POUND LIGHTER!!! And substaintially more slim and narrow! I'm thinking this is the levergun I should have gotten from the beginning. Hind-sight, right?

In the researching I've done. People use 'em no problemo for Deer and Black Bear. And they hold more shots too!

I'm figuring I'll see how it does on either a deer or coyote... and as long as I've satisfied with it. I may even actually sell the 336 BL.

The energy ft-Lbs is only a small bit less than the .30-30. And from all the vids I've watched, seems to achor'em with authority!

quaildeath

Reaction score
Now you need a matching revolver with a 3x and or red dot.

BIGCIM

Reaction score
The [FONT=&quot]LEVERevolution ammo really wakes up those lever guns.[/FONT]

TheGDog

Reaction score
Now you need a matching revolver with a 3x and or red dot.
Damn Skippy Jack! Part of the plan! Most likely a Red dot, likely a Venom.

Already know which one I want for that role... That'll be next year.

Although... if it's for carrying together with the 1894.. I just might say fuggit and get a Ruger Alaskan or some other 2" or 4" if it'll be just for backup. I dunno yet.
Smith and Wesson M629-8.jpg

Last edited:

TheGDog

Reaction score
Ah..ok... yeah... maybe that S&W 329PD 4" at 25oz!

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Winchester 357 Lever action scoped w/rddot, and my Colt python 357 stainless, w.flouresent sights.
or my Marlinf lever action 45/70 with a Magna port muzzle break or my 444 Marlin lever.
Lever and wheel man I am !

quaildeath

Reaction score
If you are get a matching caliber revolver...I would research if there is an accuracy difference in a full length under lug. Such a powerful cartridge, I’m sure, flexes a pistol barrel big time without.....IMHO.
Also, I would want heft in front for recoil control and stability.

TheGDog

Reaction score
For the pistol I want light weight. If it's stingy on the hand, I understand that comes with the territory.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Here you go My friend
https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...t-pairs-handguns-and-pistol-caliber-carbines/

5. Tresna 9 mm AR & Glock 9 mm Pistols

As one of the most popular handguns in the world for military, law enforcement and civilian applications, Glock 9 mm pistols are tough, reliable and easy to operate. Magazines for the sub-compact, compact and standard-size pistols are readily available and affordably priced. Glock and other companies, including SGM Tactical, offer extended magazines that hold up to 33 rounds. The 9 mm center-fire pistol cartridge is ubiquitous, produces a low level of felt recoil and continues to be one of the least expensive handgun rounds to practice with.
To take advantage of the ready availability of 9 mm Glock magazines, the Tresna Defense offers the JAG9G. This 9 mm AR-pattern semi-auto carbine features a proprietary milled billet aluminum receiver purpose built to run reliably with all sizes of Glock magazines from the stubby G26 10-round models all the way up to the 33-round sticks. The JAG9 arrives with other popular AR features including a flash hider, quad-rail hand guard and adjustable 6-position stock. Together, Glock’s pistols and Tresna’s rifles make an ideal pair for home defense, target practice and competition.

Last edited:

TheGDog

Reaction score
Did some research the other day and found this...

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/05/how-to-shear-your-scandium-44-mag-revolver-in-half/

So I guess that means I'll either just grin and bare it and carry that .357 Mag along with me... OR... go for a Glock G20 SF to try and save some weight. I'd like to get the G29 to save weight and size... but then the barrel is below 4" which makes it illegal to hunt with one. And I dunno, that's something I'd *like* to try one day... so I supposed G20 it is. Gotta wait on that... gotta finally get my butt in gear to input my taxes and see if I'll possibly owe something, first, before I go spend the rest of this bonus check.

Top Bottom