I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own ey

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I was up working near East Fork and a buddy said there were carp running up East Fork like salmon do. Yeah right I thought.

Naturally I had to see it to believe it. Sure nuff. This pic is from the bridge to the fire camp on East Fork Rd, looking north. The carp were 3-5 pound range with some bigger. There were holding behind the rocks and jams like trout do eating I guess. Red arrows point to the carp. 2 closest to the cam and several back by that log jam that were trying to get upstream to join their buddies. Looked like a salmon run almost. Never seen carp do that before in clear mountain runoff water. Anybody else ever see that?

Only problem shooting here is it's all rocks and you're gonna ding some points for sure. There are some pools further down toward the resevior that are more gravel and sand so that might be a better place to shoot. It's all NF land until you get down to the resevior which is County land. I don't think it's legal to spear them. Anybody know? The carp weren't too spooky cuz many people party in this area on the weekend. The only tough part was there isn't much cover to use to sneak up. Kind of like them bare canals near Niland.

Sleepy

Reaction score
carp or suckers, i'm sure that must have been a sight to see!

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
They was carp, I didn't believe it either. I crawled down to the rocks to see up close.

jbao

Reaction score
ive never seen anything in SGR. always try, always fail. do you know if its legal to shoot there?

MULIES4EVER

Reaction score
Carp are really unpredictable in the behavior category. One year I was fishing for white bass at Utah Lake and I guess the carp were spawning but they were jumping completly out of the water everywhere. The arial show lasted the entire time I was there. It looked as if someone was shock treating the water. People were parked off the side of the road to watch the show. It was amazing. Has anyone ever seen behavior like this before?

outlaw223850

Reaction score
Yes, I went down there a week ago and shot 3 carp...but i have a mutch better spot.....a pool with over 100 carp in it ranging from 5-15 pounds.......the one on the east fork only get to be about 7-8 pounds max...but fun to get....oooohhhh ya it is extremeky rocky so dont miss...or you will loose an arrow tip!

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Big BEar they jump a lot. When they spawn and get into those wads of fish that's something to see. A fish frenzy.

I hate shooting rocky spots Outlaw. Tears up tips bad.

jbao

Reaction score
so it IS legal to shoot carp there? what are some good spots? (im not really familiar with forks and such)

Top Bottom