IC Chip

Good Ole Boy

Reaction score
First, does anyone have real pictures of the sensor board wired up??? And my 2nd question is do I wire to pin 2 on top of the board where the leg goes into the board, or bottom of the board where the existing salder is?

Arrowhead

Reaction score
I don't a picture but the graphic that Jesse has on the Homebrew page is all you should need.

It doesn't matter where you solder(top or bottom), as long as your on pin 2.

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
GOB,

Doesn't matter if you solder on top or below IC pin 2.  Pin 2 is pin 2.
I usually solder to the bottom since there is solder there already.

Good Luck,
Todd

Good Ole Boy

Reaction score
Todd, you saying I can just heat up the solder that is already there and stick the wire on?

Gumboyaya

Reaction score
sometimes you can do that, or just put a little solder on the wire first and hold it on pin 2 and then heat to join. i run the wire first through the little hole in the board near the batteriy leads and then to the relay to help secure the wire. hope this helps.
gumbo

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
It's easier to solder a wire on when there's solder already present.  You should also put some solder on your wire before you solder it to any component too.  This is called "tinning you wire".  Make sure both pieces have been "tinned", have solder present.  Now when you go to connect the two, the solder on both liquifies you take the heat away and their connected.

I would always "tin" my wires, relays, diodes whatever first.  If you use the bottom of Pin 2 it is already "tinned" with the solder there.

Good Luck,
Todd

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I always hesitate soldering directly to the pin where it comes out of the IC because a little too much heat can destroy it.  It's especially Iffy if your a beginner solder'er

Unless there's a big advantage to soldering the wire on top of the board, it's best to solder the wire where the pin is already soldered, on the bottom.  ToddP gave pretty good instructions and it should only take a second or 2 to get the job done.  I blow on the joint immediatly to cool it off too

Tinhorn

bat

Reaction score
A neat little trick I do also is to use a piece of the diode wire that I cut off to solder to the pin or you could do it to the soldering point.  It will stick with solder nearly instantly, then solder on the wire.  One of the main things about soldering to the #2 pin is "make sure" you are on #2.  It is really easy to think you are on #2 and you will be on #1.  #2 IS ON A TRACE BY ITSELF ON THE BOTTOM OF THE BOARD!  Some people mistaken get on the #1 pin by looking at the soldering points on the bottom and seeing the two points close together and thinking the first of the two is #1, the second #2.  Count to the 4th. point from the end, this is the #2 soldering point on the bottom or follow it down from the top to the bottom to make sure you are at the correct one.  bat

Top Bottom