Idaho Archery Elk-zone-36

barel74

Reaction score
I'm leaving Aug.28, archery elk season opens Aug. 30 in zone 36. I've killed elk there during rifle season, but got tired of all the hunter pressure. Gonna give archery a try. I've killed a few pigs with my bow, but this is my first archery elk trip. Is anybody familiar with this area? Any hot spots? Also getting a deer tag, not so much for the deer, but you can tag a bear with a deer tag if you are a non-resident. Any bear hot spots? Any help would be appreciated.
not to many places where you can get an elk tag and a mule deer tag for under $750.00. And you can tag a bear or a mountain lion with your deer tag, as long as it's open bear or mountain lion season in your deer zone.

LeeChul

Reaction score
Bear with a Deer tag? I never heard of that during the 8 years I lived in Idaho.

Good luck, I don't think I know too much about that area.

barel74

Reaction score
LeeChul- bear and mountain lion with a deer tag, only if it is open bear or m. lion season in the area of your deer tag. I think it's only for non-residents.

Norcalihunter

Reaction score
ANYTHING thats open to non residents should be open to residents.... (not to mention at a much easier to get and cheaper price) But thats just my opinion.

I'll be hunting area 39 robie creek during rifle season. Let us know how everything goes what the animals are doing. I wont be hunting till nov 1st but I'd stll like to hear what the herds look like this year.

Good luck!

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Yeah, you can call Idaho to get the straight skinny. I hunted around Yellow Pine and then over by Hells Canyon in 2000. I think that was the first year you could hunt mt. lion or bear on your tag too. But, I cannot remember if that was with your first tag or second tag, or both. Over by Yellow pine, non-residents could buy special bear tags and mountain lion tags for $25/ea.--that was another option.

You may want to ask about "Brown Tags".

I do know in 2002, I could have bought a "brown tag" in addition to my muzzleloader deer tag for unit 45-III for non-resident price...it would have been good for deer, lion, bear where the general season's were open.

LeeChul

Reaction score
That's interesting, but I don't hunt lions or bears so it doesn't matter. Thanks for the info though. I'd have likely torn into someone the next time I was elk hunting up there for not knowing the facts. Thanks for the heads up.

Idaelk

Reaction score
This was an effort by the IDFG to help thin the predators. The idea being that if someone happened upon a bear for intense while hunting deer they could legally shoot it and tag it with the deer tag. Look it up its in the proclaimation.

LeeChul

Reaction score
We'll if all the NR's that hunt Idaho this year take a bear or lion with there tag instead of mullies, I gress I'll have plenty of big mullies for next year.

IdahoRob

Reaction score
I guide just north of there. What part of 36 have you hunted? Even though your from Cali. I might leak some info

Good luck,
Rob

barel74

Reaction score
Rob- I've hunted Fourth of July Creek area, and south of Red Fish Lake. Are the bulls in the area starting the rut yet? Any help would be appreciated.

IdahoRob

Reaction score
Last weekend the bulls were really talking. I was north and west of those spots. We've had a cold spell all this week with light snow above 8000ft. I'm sure that will really get the bulls fired up all over the state. Sometimes the opening week for bow is a little early, but this seems like an early fall/winter. I think the opener will be awesome this year.
Good luck, Rob

forkehornreggie

Reaction score
Idahorob, I am going up on the 10th to east fork, near clayton. We go later intentionally for more vocalization. Hopefully we can close the deal.

IdahoRob

Reaction score
East fork is a great place for a great bull. I have a few friends who hunt up there. Your timing will be right on. I bow hunted last week and the large bulls were already gathering their herds. They were talking quite a bit and just starting to show interest in breeding. I ended up taking a spike. My wife won't let me kill a medium bull, either it's big enough for the wall or I take a spike for the table. She was very pleased when I showed up with the spike! The weather is going to be warm and dry into next week, but so was last week and it didn't slow the bulls down any. Good Luck and let us know the results.
Rob

Top Bottom