Idaho elk - good hunting?

MikeJtohunt

Reaction score
Thanks to Roosterkiller to highlight that there are still over the counter tags for elk in Idaho. I took a look at the places that still have tags, bull and rifle. I looked at the old calendar and came up with two possibilities and one long shot.

The three zones are Sawtooth, Lolo and Middlefork. Are these good hunting areas? Do you need a guide? Any recommendations? I have a buddy on the east coast that wants to come out west to hunt elk. Unfortunately the middlefork only has one tag so that is most likely a pass.

Kentuck

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with those areas but one thing you can do is go onto the Idaho F&G's website and go into the Hunting section. Once there you will see a link to the Hunt Planner. Click on that and you will go through a series of selections and then you get the info on the past few years success rates for the areas you are interested in.

Idaho Fish and Game - Idaho Hunt Planner

barel74

Reaction score
I've hunted the Sawtooths (36), out of Stanley. Killed a 5x5 a few years back. There are elk in the area, but not exactly a trophy area. We got packed in last year to a drop camp. Full moon and snow flurries had the elk moving at night. Jumped a few bulls in the thick stuff, but never got a shot. Found a pretty nice 6x winter kill, though.

link to some pics and story on the trip
http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/elk-hunting/173566-unsuccesfull-idaho-hunt.html

elkguys

Reaction score
we have hunted lolo area on potlach timber land we did ok 2out4 filled there tags. lots of white tail in that area too.best of luck.

RoosterKiller

Reaction score
The middlefork area still has a lot of tags. The "B" tag is what they have one of, but there are still 79 tags available on the "A" tag. The A tag starts Oct. 1 and is either sex.The hunt area for the Middle Fork is # 20A,26,and 27.either sex in 20A and 26, Bulls only in 27.You do not need to use a guide if you don't want.It is US Forest land and is open hunting.There is also alot of wilderness that you can pack into.There are outfitters that work that area if you want a guided trip.If you want to hunt bear in that area a bear tag runs about $32.00 same as a mountain lion.
This is where I will be hunting this year.We will be going up the last weekend of Sept and deer hunt and scout until the opener.
you can go to the F&G website and in the non-resident section see the tags available.They have over 300 tags available in the Diamond creek area. There are Elk in all the areas it will come down to what you want to shoot and how long you can stay.

sea shepard

Reaction score
just got back from a bear hutn up there in the bitterroot mountains on the lochsa river. became real aquainted with the locals as well as the local Game Warden everyone said the same thing the Elk herds have been decimated there from the wolves that were re-introduced. Saw a some cows while hunting a few bull moose and some mulies and white tails. Didnt see any bulls except for 2 possibly 3 while driving up there and back home. Good luck hope this helps

MikeJtohunt

Reaction score
interesting about the wolves

I was thinking about getting that last B tag for Middle Fork for the middle of November hunt. Now you have me wondering if it is worth the effort. I am sure that the locals are not too happy about what the wolves can do to all the other animals.

I was hunting in Finland last year and the hunters said that the lapland people (who tend the reindeer) will give you 1000 euros and a bottle of good conyak (not spelled correctly) for a wolves ears.

sea shepard

Reaction score
alot of the locals there said to gut shoot them and keep your mouth shut. Me i never eve saw or heard a wolf but the season is supposed to start in septtember for them. I saw a wolf hide at the taxidermy shop those guys are big. That middle fork area is pretty country i think you would still have a good time with your buddy. You should call fish and game and see if the herds are having problems there as well. i was about 60 miles or more from there as the crow flys.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom