Idaho hunter may have record 28 point buck with 3 antlers

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Hunter may have record buck.

Pic by Jesse Tinsley - The Spokesman-Review. Alan Budleski displays the head of his deer bearing a 28-point rack. ``I'm still pinching myself,'' Budleski says.

Benjamin Shors, Spokane Spokesman-Review

12/6/01

Chance of seeing deer with three antlers in wild even more remote now.

Coeur d'Alene _ There's no question Alan Budleski shot a big buck. The only question is whether it is a state record.

Budleski, 41, shot a whitetail with at least 28 points west of Hauser Lake last Friday. An official with the Idaho Fish and Game Department plans to score the buck -- which had three antlers -- in February at the Sportsmen's Expo at the Kootenai County Fairgrounds.

"It's a phenomenal animal," said Phil Cooper, spokesman for the department.

Cooper said he has seen other deer with three antlers, but that Budleski's buck was unique in that the third horn came from the middle of the forehead.

The third horn will count in scoring the animal, Cooper said.

Budleski, a federal railroad inspector, said he had been watching the buck during the fall. But he hadn't seen the animal for weeks when he set out for an afternoon hunt on Friday.

"I figured somebody else had got him," he said.

But on Friday, the buck reappeared.

He shot the buck from 90 yards as the sun began to set.

"I'd been watching him for a while," Budleski said. "I never realized how big he was until after harvest."

Cooper said the buck appeared to be 9 to 11 years old. Officials will identify the deer's age by examining its teeth.

Although the buck weighed only about 160 pounds, its rack is a snarl of antlers.

"When my husband dragged me up the hill, I couldn't believe it," Judy Budleski said.

Alan Budleski, who moved to Idaho from Wisconsin a year ago, said he once shot a 12-point buck.

But that accomplishment will be obscured by his recent kill.

The rack must dry for 60 days before official scoring. In addition to the number of points, scoring is based on antler width and symmetry.

horseshoer

Reaction score
Awesome Buck.. How about the mass of the beams and all the way to the tips of the points...

d trees

Reaction score
All I can say is WoW , jesse any we can get a better picture of that buck.:jaw-drop:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom