Idahoan shoots, kills protected gray wolf.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Idahoan shoots, kills protected gray wolf.
Man says he fired four rounds in self-defense.

Idaho Statesman

SALMON -- A central Idaho man says he killed a protected gray wolf last month after it threatened him and his wife.

Tim Sundles of Carmen stunned the crowd at a Tuesday wolf hearing attended by U.S. Sen. Michael Crapo, R-Idaho, when he admitted shooting the wolf in the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness three weeks ago.

Sundles said several wolves showed up in his camp and harassed his horses. He drove them away, but they returned two hours later. One was particularly aggressive.

"I shot at him to scare him. That wolf -- there was no hesitation whatsoever -- turned on me and my wife," Sundles said. "He came in and I fired four rounds. He came within 10 feet of me, he circled around me and came around the back side of my wife, where I killed him.

"I've never made it a secret that I'm anti-wolf," Sundles added. "But this has nothing to do with those beliefs."

Paul Weyland, special agent at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service office in Boise, said the matter is under investigation.

Gray wolves are protected under the Endangered Species Act, but Idaho's wolves were reintroduced under an "experimental, non-essential" status.

"You can kill an endangered species to protect human life," Weyland said.

Under federal rules, anyone who kills a wolf in self-defense must report it within 24 hours. This is the first report of a wolf killed in self-defense since their return in 1995, Weyland said.

Wolf attacks on humans are extremely rare, said Suzanne Laverty, Northwest field representative for Defenders of Wildlife.

"As far as I know, there has not been a case of a wild, healthy wolf attacking any (human) in North America," she said.

Laverty said she has a "healthy skepticism" of Sundles' claim.

"This would be a highly uncommon thing, if it happened," she said.

In 1996, a sheepherder reported a wolf lunged at him before four Great Pyrenees guard dogs drove it away. This happened near Warm Lake.

paulc

Reaction score
i wish him luck.. i hope his story holds up. and as far as the sound bite regarding no wolf attacks in north america that doesnt sound quite right.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I hope his case holds up too, and wouldn't be surprised if it did.  At the very least, he should be permitted to shoot the wolves for threatening his horses.

On the other hand, the "no wolf attacks in North America" is pretty accurate, at least according to recorded history.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were some unrecorded attacks, though.  There are bound to have been some kind of encounters.  Heck, even the River Otters are attacking people lately, though.  Who knows what the wolves are thinking?  

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
You can read more about this on : http://www.sixgunner.com.  Tim Sundles is the owner of "Buffalo Bore Ammunition" company and posts on sixgunner quite a lot.  There is one post that has a link to a Idaho newspaper that is taking a survey on whether he should be proscuted or not.  Right now it's running 71% for NO.  There have already been people emailing in news articles on previous wolf attacks in north America.  He has a good defense team provided by the cattlemans association, so hopefully he should fare well.    

rusman66

Reaction score
Yeah I like the wording in her statement.   no attack on humans from "wild healthy wolves".  How Many attacks from UNHEALTHY wolves ?

paulc

Reaction score
another point there have not been alot of wolves in our part of north america in the last 150 years..are they including alaska... i think jack london reported a wolf attack in one of his short stories.

Corndog

Reaction score
I wasn't there, but it sounds fishy to me.  Wonder if he would take a lie detector.  I don't buy the "no wolf attacks in North America" propoganda, but I also don't buy his story.  

jerry d

Reaction score
Awful easy to have a "healthy skepticism" if you're not there and the one being attacked.

This dummie should have applied the 3S rule that's prevelent in that part of the country.

Corndog

Reaction score
Yeah, I wasn't there and I didn't see what happened, but I'm still skeptical.

(I also wasn't there when OJ killed his wife, but I'm skeptical about his story too)

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt though if there were no evidence to prove wrongdoing or if I had more facts/testimony that supported his story.

If it were really self-defense, he did what had to be done.

Top Bottom