If you could chose a State residency for hunting?

m_freeman

Reaction score
If you could chose a State residency for hunting elk and deer which State would you chose? Consider, costs of license, tags competition for good area draws, over the counter tags. Exclude Alaska, I am ready to move, spend the rest of my days hunting, where should I go? Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah?:stir pot:

trapperbr549

Reaction score
Idaho gets my vote. I would move tomorrow if I could talk the wife into it.

Rob P

Reaction score
wyoming. besides reduced tag prices, you can hunt the wilderness areas without a guide.

superduty

Reaction score
Idaho is where I will be buying my next property. Untill then it's only 2hrs away.

mccoycoffee

Reaction score
Why exclude Alaska? I think it would be the best - I'm thinking Homer area on the road system. Without a doubt it is a great state to their residents regarding hunting and fishing not to mention paying you about 2K per person a year to live there. Otherwise, I agree with Wyoming.

Glass eye

Reaction score
Hawaii
You can hunt bowhunt Axis deer 365 days a year for $50 No limit, either sex.

ltdann

Reaction score
Try Texas. They've got everything there, if its not native, its imported. All for your hunting pleasure.

m_freeman

Reaction score
Why exclude Alaska? I think it would be the best - I'm thinking Homer area on the road system. Without a doubt it is a great state to their residents regarding hunting and fishing not to mention paying you about 2K per person a year to live there. Otherwise, I agree with Wyoming.
winters too cold and dark

rockcrick

Reaction score
Its a toss up between Montana and Idaho. They both have a boatload of big game diversity and a ton of small game. Most tags are OTC and trophy species like goats sheep and moose have a reasonable chance of draw. Take a state like Oregon and all mule deer are draw hunts (excluding bow in some areas) and drawing a goat tag is like 1 in 1500. Correct me if I am wrong but most hunts in NV, NM, UT and AZ are draw hunts for deer and elk as well.

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I second that on TX. It has animals that you can hunt year round. Those Northwestern states has some good huntings but they are only seasonal. After the season is over, it's a pain to wait the rest of the year until next season.

L2H

m_freeman

Reaction score
I second that on TX. It has animals that you can hunt year round. Those Northwestern states has some good huntings but they are only seasonal. After the season is over, it's a pain to wait the rest of the year until next season.

L2H
can you hunt deer year round in Texas? I know you can hunt pigs year round.

ltdann

Reaction score
Texas has whitetail in the fall. There are no seasons (or game laws for that matter)on the exotics, like fallow and axis. Pig's are considered varmints.

My guide told me that exotics and pigs could be hunted 24 hrs a day, game laws don't apply.

Most folks in Texas have leases and they hunt something year around.

XDHUNTER

Reaction score
I know Black tail deer is also considered exotic in Texas. you can hunt it year round.

sancho

Reaction score
i lived in texas most of my life. like a genius, my hunting hobby really took of when i moved away. duh! but i do seem to remember public land rare. no complaints because you can hunt for about $150 per day there.

for me it would be Idaho. or move to austin texas, and make friends with great ranchers.

COHunter

Reaction score
Montana or Idaho would get my vote.

Colorado would be my first choice if we ran our big game hunting like MT, ID, or WY.

Pyke

Reaction score
North East Texas, Turkey's, Hogs, Deer and beer, it's all I need.

Top Bottom