If you could only have one shotgun the rest of your life....

312B1

Reaction score
If you could only use one shotgun for the rest of your life to hunt waterfowl with what would it be? A lot of guys will say their $900 BGH or $1200 camo SBE are the best simply because they don't want people to think they got ripped off, but c'mon 1 gun for the rest of your life. Put your pride away and think what you truly would want to trust for the rest of your waterfowling days. I know 870 Wingmasters and Browning A-5s are going to be the most popular choices and you really can't argue against them with their track record. But my choice would be the lowly Mossberg 835(I can hear the laughing already). I have two and they pattern and connect like no other gun I have ever had. My faster reloads in which the patterns tend to fall apart in my other guns hold together nicely in the 835s using their factory chokes. And when I pull up on a 40 yard goose I have tremendous confidence when the 835 is in my hands. Their early production models had some bugs in them but my 2nd one (and the 1st after I got it back from the factory) have performed flawlessly.

By the way I do have a camo SBE and a Browning auto but I'd still have to choose my 835s; which gun would you want with you?

Greenhead

Reaction score
No question, Wingmaster 870. I think I could dip mine in concrete and it would still shoot in the morning. Looks like hell, but racks and shoots like heaven.

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
HK Benelli SBE Camo 12ga.

No, I didn't get ripped off.  I used an HK Benelli Super 90 Montefeltro for many years before they became "popular" (I still own it).  It was by far the best shotgun made at the time, until the SBE came out.  I bought my SBE many years ago and have never been sorry.

It only took one Texas Goose hunt to prove to me I made the right decision.  It has accompanied me on 3 such trips along with numerous other hunts.  I rarely "leave home without it"...

Eric

mudhen

Reaction score
This will be my 11th season with my SBE.  A few minor repairs need to be done every few years (ejector plates, etc) otherwise no problems.  My two BGHs shoot steel very well.

One gun for life?  I would rule out all semi-autos, as they can break, pumps are ok - but pumps stick/bind/break just like any other gun.  I have a crappy BPS that binds.  I have seen two Mossbergs literally fall apart in the field - broken safeties, cracked barrel attachments, etc.  But I have also seen Remington 870s drop their guts & Benellis seize up.  There are not many guns I haven't seen break!

No gun is perfect - they all wear out and break.

I would probably go with a Citori 3.5" & learn how to clean & repair myself.  Aside from a few springs, not much can go wrong if kept pretty clean.

mudhen  

MQ

Reaction score
I've been shooting my 870 now for 27 years now, without needing repair. The way I figure it, it WILL be the gun for the rest of my life........

huntducks

Reaction score
I usually shoot a 870  most of the time and second what Greehead said, but if it had to be only one gun I would go with a Md. 12 duck gun(with briley steel tube YES I would have to put one in), I hardly ever use mine because of that, I guess that would be my choice.

Duck Fan

Reaction score
870...had this one for over 2 decades..maybe 3.  Never fails me and I used it from doves to geese.  Great gun. 2 3/4 inch 12 gauge.  I keep thinking I should move up to a 3 inch or 3 1/2 inch...but then the seasson comes around and I do fine with the 2 3/4....great gun.  

Although I am thinking of getting a nice new one in camo....

Matt Thompson

Reaction score
Sorry Bubba,

My lovely wife is the one "only for the rest of my life" I'll discuss.  :&gt 

It ain't natural for a man to only have one gun.  I hope none of your wifes see this thread.  That will be the end of gun buying for you.

My old Mossy 835 was good, but I love my new 391.  I may have to get one in 20-gauge!!

(Edited by Matt Thompson at 5:01 pm on Aug. 22, 2001)

(Edited by Matt Thompson at 5:02 pm on Aug. 22, 2001)

Greenhead

Reaction score
I've never quite understood paying big money for a fancy looking duck gun.

Heck, I've used the stock of my 870 as an oar one time when the real oar busted. I smacked an upset and mighty mean pig in the noggin once. I dropped the old gun in a lake and didn't/couldn't retrieve it for a week. I got bucked off a horse, and the gun took a sail and tumble down a 75 foot rock embankment. Wait a minute, maybe that gun is bad luck, now that I think about it. In any event, most of the above never hurt the gun, other than cosmetics.

But seriously, I've got hunting buddies that trade out and buy up guns every year or so and they're always ragging me to do the same. They spend more time wiping the gun down and worrying that a little piece of weed is gonna jam their gas and jam their gun than they do shooting. Don't blame them either because those fancy guns do seem to jam if so much as a gnat gets in the right place. Meanwhile, I've racked and rocked three shells (typically with two misses at a minimum) while they're busy staring in the chamber saying something like "What the hell...?"

When my 870 dies, I'll toss it in the trash, lay down $350 or so, and have another gun for another 3 decades.

Take um

Reaction score
I had my 390 for 5 seasons, and I hunt Waterfowl 3 days a week.  I use it for dove & quail also. ( I might even clean it this year).  If I could only have one shotgun, I'm with Huntducks, put a tube in the Model 12.

Duke

Reaction score
My Remington 1100.  I like the way it feels I don't shoot too bad with it and it is a few years old (someone before me had it too) but it still looks good.

paulc

Reaction score
regarding green heads post.. rack him.. as jim rome would say.. rem 870 gets my vote...had it forever works great and reasonably priced.. if i had to replace it.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
For my own choice, my Savage SxS.  12 ga, Full and Modified, nothing fancy and not even a really good duck gun since the advent of steel...  

But still my all around favorite shotgun.  I own a Mossberg 500 (super gun), and an 870 Wingmaster, but it'll take some doing to make me leave my twice-barrel home.  Load it with buckshot for deer, 8s for doves and quail, or 2s for ducks...  I love my gun!

wildlifedesigner

Reaction score
Bought A winchester Super X2 last year and love it. Although expensive she gets no special treatment In the field.

Top Bottom