illegal camera

FLOKGA

Reaction score
OK here's the deal. I found a nice 35mm trail camera mounted on a tree at the back of my property. The trespassers cut my 4-strand barbwire fence in 2 places. Drove all over my property and set up the camera 100 feet inside the property line.

So do I just keep the camera?
Do I give it to the Sheriff for the trespasser to pick up?
Maybe I'll trade it for a copy of the driver’s licenses of the owner after my fences are repaired.

What do you guys think?

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
I don't advocate keeping someone elses property, but it would make awful good bait.  I believe I'd put me a sign on the tree where it was telling them to contact the sherif.  Sounds like they need to be tought some maners or at least the finer art of fence repair?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I think I'd call the sheriff too and they'll probably want the cam for "Evidence"    Leaving a note on the tree (maybe with the deputy's business card) sounds like a good idea and after so much time, isn't found property yours.....

who owns the property on the other side of the cut fence?  what do they say

Tinhorn

mudroller

Reaction score
Hey FLOKGA, doesn't your house need paintin', lawn need mowin' and  weeds need pullin', cars and trucks need washin' and a waxin'? I wouldn't let him off too easy. You get to be judge and jury, make him pay the penalty!!!

Constitutionalist

Reaction score
FLOKGA,

The culprit didn't have the courtesy to ask permission; didn't have the respect for your personal property which you own; and trespassed on your property that 1) you earned, and 2) he didn't.

I know what I would do...but I am not one to advise others.  But seeing you asked, I'll mention this:

Do to him the WORST thing possible that you will not lose sleep over.

Email me direct if you want details.

Eric

youngtrout

Reaction score
Was there any pics taken on the unit, maybe  while the crook was leaving the crime scene?                 I'm with tinhorn and Arkansaselkhunter,  get the law enforcement envolved, tresspass is illegal and they will know how to handle it, reporting it documents the crime, if it happens again.        Also leave a note at the tree telling the offender that he has been reported and where his camera is.               Where I hunt we have a problem of guys in trucks running coyotes through everything,(including fences) my deal with the landowner is the upkeep of the 5 miles of fence on the property, so your problem strikes a nerve with me.               Maybe a camera (carefully hidden!!!!) without a flash (daytime) might catch the guy trying to get his camera.

Just my two cents    

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 leave cam on tree,dial sherrifs # tell him,he comes out to take report show him the tree you found it on while it still hangs there,show fence,this is destruction of private property,turn camera over to sherrif and forget it till its unclaimed,if someone comes a knocking,get thier name,tell them where its at and then call sherrif agian.file charges,these guys give all hunters a bad reputation.

thehairlessone

Reaction score
a friend of mine had something similiar to this happen to him. He found a treestand on his hunting place so he took it down and left a note telling them how to get ahold of him and such.

I would do that then after they come to get it back call the sheriff because that way you would know who they are and their licsense plate # and everything and give that info to
the sheriff.

If  they even have the guts to ask for it back.

rick

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I have found several (5 or 6) treestands on our property, since I have no idea as to who they belong to, they become mine. I figure if they have the nerve to contact me about getting them back, then the sherrif might be called. We also have problems with people running over older sections of fence with 4- wheelers. Must have been nice in the old days when you could get away with setting "traps", without being sued!!

kmitch

Reaction score
I had one last season who came on my property and set up a ladder stand. When I was there a month ago it was still there. I hunted from it a few times last season. I've had an ongoing debate with myself on whether to keep it. I've decided to just leave it where it is. There is a big yellow POSTED sign at seat height in the tree it leans against so it would be difficult for them to say they didn't know.

I also had a bow hunter during archery season put a big corn pile on my property. When I found it whizzed all around it. I always wondered how long he hunted over that corn pile and never saw a deer.  

Keith

bat

Reaction score
I had a guy place a lockon stand on my lease about 50 yards over the fence line.  I posted where he came across the fence and placed a note telling him he had one week to remove the stand or it became my property.  He moved it.  Here's an idea instead of using your cam to try to catch whoever placed it there, use his.  Place a note on who and how to contact you about repairing the fences on the tree he had it on and getting the cam back....make it a bright one so he can see it good.  Now take "his" camera with the flash off and place it where you can get his picture coming back to visit the cam site.  Hide it good so he want find it before he fixs the fences.  A picture is worth a thousand words with the law.  Hope you get him.  bat

shadow

Reaction score
I personally think you should setup a "sting" with the local law, sherrif and game warden since the cam was setup for scouting reasons.  Setting up a second cam catching him would be awsome.  Getting the law involved BEFORE you take the cam is KEY.  They must see the damage to the fence as well as the placement of the cam.  Take pictures of the area for documentation.  Then setup your "spy" cam (ensure the local law knows that this is being done...they may even want to be there durring the setup, out of sight out of mind, without the flash.  Next hope the guy is dumb enough to come back in the day time so that you can catch his face.  "A picture is worth a thousand words" then take the film to the law and let them have the option to develop it, this is so that they can't say you tampered with it.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know about where you are from, but around here, most county law enforcement is so strapped, overworked, and short on manpower, they probibly would tell you to take the camera, post a note telling them to get off your land or else, and call them back if you were threatened.

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
From the experiences I have had ****** was right.

Unless you know someone in law enforcement getting something done is difficult.

We had one man threatened by trespassers and he told the local sheriff and he said there was nothing he could do unless they were held until he got there.  The guy posted a sign on our gate that reads: "Trespassers will be held at gun point until the sheriff arrives.".

I have caught some since then but they came in another way and didn't know of the story. Haven't seen them since.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Im thinking that if you remove the camera and put out a note,then call the sherrif when the guy trys to pic up his cam it will be your word agianst his,if you call the sherrif first show him the cam and the fence and file complaint you have a better chance to get something done.

quackmaster

Reaction score
If you really want to be mean :muha:, you lock his camera to the tree or inflict some some sort of mortal wound to it. Lets be honest. if the guy is gonna tresspass and break down your fence, I doubt he comes and asks for his camera anyhow once he sees its gone, it doesn't sound like he did a very good job of covering his tracks anyway. Doubt if this guy would make a SEAL team. Dang I would think if I was gonna tresspass, i would leave the least amount of tracks possible. I know your frustrations
Worst tresspasser ordeal i've been involved in, on moring up in NW Ark, i was slinking to my stand early in the morning I started climbing climbing the wooden steps to the platform I had built in the tree, only to hear someone go "HEY"  You wanna talk about leaving skid marks in your shorts!:skeered: His excuse that time was he thought he was on national forrest. He only missed the forrest by about 15 miles!  Had the same guy tresspass and shoot a doe back when we didn't have a doe season. Sherrif dept or game and fish really didn't do anything. Didn't even come out. took a report over the phone

(Edited by quackmaster at 11:34 am on Aug. 6, 2002)

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
My two cents....I don't steal other peoples property!! BUT.....If this A-hole put a camera on private property (that is obviously posted as private property), that camera, or tree stand would then become part of MY hunting gear!! Like HH said, the local law enforcement officers are far to busy to get involved in a misdemeanor tresspassing issue(might be a little more if the fence damage is extensive). If the guy has the guts to come knocking on your door asking for his camera, I would explain to him that he was tresspassing, damaged a fence etc.etc., and if HE has a problem with it, let  him call the local sherriff. Good Luck.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
The way I look at it is, your simply holding the evidence until the law catches up with him. You might as well use it, while your holding it?

shadow

Reaction score
I know that 99% of the game wardens in Texas take thier jobs very seriously and when asked to catch a tresspassor who may be "poaching" or the like...they jump all over it...even more if the area is posted and obvious damage such as 4 strans of wire cut.

The sherrif probably would be "to busy" but atleast you have it documented that something happened, before you do anything, and that you sustained property damage because of it.  Heck the four wires alone being cut could cost several hundred dollars to repair (I know if I had to fix something like this because of a tresspasser...my wages are really high) back to it's original state...IE try to get the repairs above a certain dollar and now it moves from trespassing and property damage type of a misd. to something more.  Don't forget any damage to trees and the soil could be added as well.

Example: A co-workers son drove his car on someones yard messing up the grass and ran over a small tree.  He had to pay a Gardener to come in fill the ruts, repair the grass and plant a new tree as well as come back weekly for a "checkup" for two months...$1,450 damage and NO he couldn't fix it himself.

After all whats another camera to you if you already have several as he must not care that much since he didn't hide it that well and was using it by tresspassing.  Total disregaurd for your property and hunting area should constitute total enforcement of any law violations which he may have commited.

Never take the LAW into your own hands as it will always backfire...remember YOU DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE DEALING WITH AND WHAT TYPE OF PERSON HE IS. He was bold enough to tresspass, place a cam up with the total intent to retreive it later in hopes of seeing something worth while to hunt on YOUR property...and did all of it knowing it since he did have to cut through the wires.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
I agree with shadow.   Either keep the cam and don't say anything or report it.  He knows where you are and you don't know where he is.  You don't want to do something out of spite just to make him mad.  An uncontrolled burn won't help this years season at all.  Half the morning repairing fences is not too much to pay for his camera back, and he might just learn a lesson that way.  probably not but he might.  

Latest Posts

Top Bottom