Illinois Varminters

jim in illinois

Reaction score
I went out and tried again this afternoon.  Skunked again!!  I've been using a js yellowhammer woodpecker tape and it's worked really good in the past but it seems like in the last three weeks i haven't got ANY response out of it.  I got permission to hunt on a couple new pieces of land that to the owners knowledge have never been hunted so i don't think that the yotes are call wise.  There's sign everywhere so I know that they are there but nothing!!  I've also tried a few of my dad's different tapes with no results.  You guys help would be greatly appreciated as this is getting REALLY frustrating!!   Thanks,  Jim

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Jim- don't get too frustrated. Sometimes that's how it goes. Right now the yotes are probably starting to pair up for the spring. I've noticed that usually puts a damper on calling around here.(Socal) Good luck.    Scott

P.S. What part of Illinois are you in? I've got family in Lemont.

songdog

Reaction score
This is a really tough time of year to get coyotes to come in.  Like Scott said, they've got their minds on other things.

The consolation is, wait until August-September.  Lots of full grown but young and naive coyotes running around.

jim in illinois

Reaction score
Thanks guys,  I know better days are ahead but this just stinks!!!  Scott, I live in Kankakee,  it's about 50 miles south of Lemont.  When you come to visit the family you'll have to get ahold of me.  I live on a nice big farm in the country and there's always something to shoot at!!!lol

redfox18

Reaction score
I am in ohio,around here its tough because the numbers arent to high.Once the young are born,a howl call may help you locate dens.Most dens around here will be close to a water source.Its frusrating if the yotes cant hear the call they wont come in.

crookramba

Reaction score
When I have a place to hunt I use a Raspy Coaxer, a mouse squeaker to bring them in close and a crow call

catman60957

Reaction score
Hello,
Just signed on. After reading your post, it occured to me that this time of the year a female coyote invetation tape might help. I've heard of them, might contact one of the major manufactures; JS-Lohman-Burnham-Dennis Kirk.
Its something different and that might be what it takes.
Good Luck
Tim
PS; I might hear you shoot one, I'm only 50 or 60 miles south of you in Paxton.

jim in illinois

Reaction score
Tim, I keep telling the wife i need a gun big enough you could hear it but she isnt going for the idea
Welcome to jesse's. This is a great place with a bunch of great people and info. Looking forward to hearing from you. Jim

Top Bottom