i'm new to this, gizz please help

markr

Reaction score
hey gizz, i'm from sunbury and i know your from jersey shore and i sure could use some help. i want one of these cameras bad. as of right now i have most of the parts{camera, rs sensor,etc...} i'm just not to knowledgeable in electronics and  would be thankful for some one on one help. if you would help i will give you my e-mail.  thanks  

Stever

Reaction score
markr, I bought everything and sat down with my new solder tool. Yes I had never soldered wires before. Best advise I found scrap the wire you bought. Find an old printer cable, strip it and use those real thin wires with real thin solder. They solder so fast you will look like a hero. Thick wires are tricky. Go slow and be patient if you think you screwed up take two steps back undo it and start again. I just finished my second cam and I am so proud of myself( I may start an electronics school hahaha). We are all in this together and we are pulling for you!

gizz

Reaction score
markr - you can email me at gizz@starband.net BUT...you may want to use this forum as your question and answer place that way others may benefit as well. I agree with the others about Jesse's step by step and pictures...they are what i used when i made my first one about a year ago. I didn't even know what a solder pen or relay was but i had no problems. You'll spend a little money at first getting some of the small tools but they'll pay off after your first cam.
One suggestion - find a small, broken, electronic device(almost everything has a board in it) and practice desoldering and soldering. This really helped me alot.
Take your time, FOLLOW the instrucs, and keep your first cam simple and you should have no probs. Don't be afraid to ASK ANY questions - we've all been there.
Later,
gizz

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Markr,
 Truely,and im not fibbing a bit,I had never done anything like this before,but if you go slow,one step at a time(Modify the camera last)you can do it in one night!!!!!  I had my first cam done and hanging in a tree the next day,no bull.
 I wired everything useing the last picture on this page: 49-425  and following the directions wrote there,everything worked first time.

Stever

Reaction score
passthru, I agree
Thats amazing because that is the same picture I kept in front of me the whole time.

jayber

Reaction score
markr,
I too was a newbie to the whole soldering concept about a year ago, but I've built ~25 of them to date.  It will feel awkward at first, but you'll get the hang of it!  Take your time and don't keep your solder iron too hot.....I keep mine on 15W so that I don't risk damaging runs.  Good luck and we look forward to seeing your success!!!!  

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 After doing that one i graduated to the MS20 and to tell you the truth it seemed easier even though it looks harder,but that pic is what got me going,without it i may have not even tried to build one.

markr

Reaction score
WOW! thanks for the fast reply from everyone. I don't think i'm ready yet although i have been practicing my soldering and seem to be doing good so far. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me soon. thanks again all.  

markr

Reaction score
i have some questions. first the telco cord jesse talks about, is that just any old telephone cord? second: i can't find any closed cell foam could i use that flexable foam used for pading, i thought this would be easier to work with. third: i went to a camera shop to get lenses and the clerk told me i could use regular glass as long as i i kept the shutter as close as possible to the glass would this be ok? thanks, markr

gizz

Reaction score
Hi Markr - I use regular glass for my cams. Although others have used the lenses and have mentioned they get better quality with them. But I'm not tearin my siliconed glass out now!
You can use any foam and any enclosure that you can find. You are limited only by your imagination. Just need to be able to hold the cam in place against the holes and still be able to remove it to change film.
As for telco cord, i believe any phone cord will do but i haven't used the RS Pir so I'm not 100% on that one. I sure wouldn't think it'd be any different.

(Edited by gizz at 1:16 pm on Dec. 7, 2001)

markr

Reaction score
another question: on jesse's schematic I know what the black and red wires indicate but what are the yellow and green wires as shown? the wire i had to buy from RS is 45ft.{13.7m} 18 gauge solid 80 c 1/64" pvc hook-up wire it comes in three rolls black,red and green pt.# 278-1223. do i need to buy yellow wire?

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 No,the colors in the pic just helps to keep track of where they run to,i have the same colors as you from RS.

markr

Reaction score
ok, heres some more ?: do you solder to the underneath or the top of the PIR sensor board? where do you mount the reed relay do you mount it above the alarm off/chime switch as the pic shows? do you use hot glue for this?  it also says that some people have problems when they wire to ic pin #2. should i just wire to the red and black speaker wires like it says. i'm just trying to get exact details i don't want to be a pain in the butt. i look forward to your response. thanks again, markr      

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 I went off pin#2 with no problems so far,as far as the relay i just glued it out of the way in my enclosure

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Markr,

Greetings from Harrisburg...Welcome to the board!I used pin #2 on the Rs 49-425, and on my sixth roll of film, good to go so far. Good luck with the cam, there are quite a few extremely knowlegable people on the board. There is one other guy from PA on here, ToddP, he is from outside the Carlisle area, that's all I know of. Take it easy.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom