I'm ready for fishing!

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Well well, we just got in last night from another one of our thousand mile road trips and only got a handful of birds for our efforts.  We started off weds Jan 2 at Wister for another shot at the snows which we never had a chance at.  We ended up getting four quality Sprigs and 3 Cinnamon teal.  Here's KC jr. holding the sprigs back at the truck during brunch.  Yes, the bolt should have been open during the pics and for safety.

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=10890

Wingsetter, KC jr. and myself were off to Arizona for a little quail and dove hunting which were few and far between.  While driving through the farm fields we did spot a few bunches of geese and with permits in hand we were now jumpshooting geese instead of quail.  There were tons of flooded alphafa and winter wheat fields that had lots of mallards and sprigs in them but they were impossible to get to.  We found two groups of honkers mixed in with 100's of Sandhill Cranes.  Because of the location of the birds in the field it was almost impossible to get to them.  After driving around all day we finally spotted a little group Gambles that got the better of us so we continued in search of the motherlode.  We finally found a good bunch of doves coming to water so we decided to start there friday morning.  

We show up friday morn at day break and of course the doves don't show and the wind starts to blow so the doves sit tight, so we're off rolling again in search of.  

We head back to where we saw the honkers and sure as *&$#@ they're in the exact same spot,  can you say bring honker dekes next time, duh.  So we get a jumpshooting game plan and we get ready for the stalk and a farmer rolls up and ask if we're going after the gesse and tells us to hurry up because they've just started to flood the field and we've only got about 30 mins and wished us good luck.  Well these birds had seen this game before and off they went in the wrong direction.  From there we went back to a winter wheat field where we had seen about 15 Ross geese he day before and sure as *&%#@ they were also in the same exact spot.  We should have deked these out as well.  Now the wind is up to a steady 20 plus mph so we're going to try and jumpshoot these.  Like the honkers they went out the wrong way but only moved over about 5 fields so we tried it again and finally had some luck.  I got close enough with my Ithican mag 10 to get a triple.

Here's Buddy picking up a cripple.

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=10891

Here's the triple.

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=10892

We ended up getting limits of Ross gesse out of this bunch by 2 pm and we were then off to Wister for sat morn. on a #18 res card.  So we picked a field blind and had a very slow day only getting one Ross.  Once again not many birds to show for the trip but a great time once again especially sitting around in the parking lot at Wister with D Trees his hunting buddy Tony talking about days gone by.  With a couple of weeks left in the season I'm looking forward to fishing.

bloodsports

Reaction score
Me To...

(Edited by bloodsports at 9:40 am on Jan. 15, 2002)

(Edited by bloodsports at 9:41 am on Jan. 15, 2002)

(Edited by bloodsports at 9:46 am on Jan. 15, 2002)

colby18

Reaction score
kid, seems like they always show up when you forget the deeks.

huntducks

Reaction score
Hey kid were them ross geese or just white spoon bills.

Won't be at Kern Wed. as my trip got flooded out.

You still on for Kern this Sat.

E or call me

I'm headed to the Sea this Wed. to shoot wedge heads, I did not get enought Sat.

d trees

Reaction score
Come on boys dont put those shotguns up yet weve only got two weeks left and its a long wait for sept 1st :big-grin-aqua: ,d

Chris

Reaction score
I have to admit, I was thinking about fishing on my drive home after a long tough hunt at Wister.  Pulled the seventh draw in the sweat on Sat, got one of the best duck sites on the refuge, and sat there all day waiting for something to fly by...long wait.  The two of us ended up with a couple perfect drake pintail and a few spoonies.  There just aren't many birds out there.  That might be it for me, I said my goodbyes to the place just in case I don't make it back out...by Wed. I'll probably have changed my tune.

D

D_Sea

Kid,

I hear ya.  Next week will be the last of the season for me.  My son's 2nd birthday is on the 19th so I won't be hunting the closing weekend.  

We had some pretty poor luck at Wister on Saturday, got drawn #79 in the lotto, couldn't find our hunt stake until after shooting time, and to top it off, I didn't even have a duck fly close enough to me to even get a shot off.  The clincher was when we went back to the truck, it wouldn't start.  Finally messed around and got it running so we decided not to press our luck any further so we headed home.  Sorry we didn't get to meet up with you guys Saturday night.

I did get the chance to meet Derek, D Trees,  in the parking lot after picking our spot.  He said you guys had a good resi and had already headed off for your spot.  

With the luck I've had this year, I can't wait to fish the WSB.  With the MPA issue still on the table, I'm going to make this year one to remember, since who knows what the future holds.

Triggerfinger

Reaction score
Let's see:  Shoot spoonies or fish albacore and WSB.  Tough decision.....  

It was so slow on the Salton Sea the other day, I told my father-in-law to just shoot me to take me out of my misery....

Later.

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
My brother,

If it comes down to shooting ducks or catching albies I'll be throwing the dekes.  You know me I like chasing birds and fish that require a little talent.

Talent Required                   No Talent Required      

Ducks                                 Coots
Geese                                 Mackeral  
Chukar                                Barn Yard Pigeons                              
White Seabass                     Albacore
Halibut                                A Buzz

See you at Kern tonite!

WingSetter

Reaction score
Hey Marsh Brother,
You forgot to add your favorite table fair and the bird you really knock dead "THE SPONNIE" to your no talent required.  Call and let me know how Kern Was when you get in.

bloodsports

Reaction score
I think the Santa Monica Bay Seabass Need to be put on the no talent list.

<a href="http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/bloodsports/squid%20float.jpg" target="_blank">  Sanat Monica Bay Seabass

(Edited by bloodsports at 9:50 am on Jan. 15, 2002)

d trees

Reaction score
Hey gregg how about with an * when not under Squidcuz when there under the bait there are way to many guru's,d

Latest Posts

Top Bottom