• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Im so confused.

I want to get the best quality hand held and moble com system I can get. Ive noticed all the bear hunters ( the hound guys) are using 2 meter vhf systems 136-174MHZ. Ive looked into those and im getting confused. They seem to be on the same band as the fire and pd guys. Are they using those bands illegally or are all of em getting licences? Are they using the repeaters?Are there some bands inside the 2 meter ham range that dont require a licence of some kind? I dont wanna buy crap but I dont wanna be talking on the same channel that the closest fire dept is.. Help me please.

Marty

Because, if they are using a marine band channel, they are not supposed to. It is a violation of com- regulations to use a marine band while on land. The only exception (to my knowledge) is for licensed shore-to-ship radios. If they really are, then they are operating on the presumption that noone will come check.

Marty

Sorry 'bout that. To answer your question, I don't know what you can use in the 136 to 174mhz range other than: FRS, GMRS, and HAM.

FRS is limited to the low-power rating of 500mW. GMRS is "supposed" to be licensed, and can use a higher power to transmit (around 1 or 2 watts - can't remember). After that, you have to go up to HAM radio licensed transmission.

In the HAM band chart provided, that would be in the 2-meter band (144mHz). The good thing is that HAM radios (handheld (5W) or mobile (50W)) can talk in "simplex" to each other, OR through a repeater. Simplex transmission is hampered by the traditional line-of-sight rules. Repeaters can extend your transmission by thousands of miles through the use of a network grid.

Top Bottom