Imagine being fired for not speaking spanish????

MULEY51

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Where's Teddy Roosevelt when you need him? LEARN TO SPEAK ENGLISH, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!!!!!!! This is so out of control, it's mindboggling.

Common Sense

Reaction score
You know, if Jesse says he will only hire bilingual employees for his business; that's okay with me. It is his business. He can do what he wants. But the government shouldn't require a foreign language for domestic employees.

easymoney

Reaction score
Bingo CS,
the state and federal government has no business hiring anyone but english speaking legal Americans...

richardoutwest

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying commonsence, it is his business. I have a problem when I stop in at McDonalds and see a teenage girl making out a job application and she goes to the manager and has to ask if they have one in english.

Orygun

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
"I think that's good, because that's for safety purpose," Franco says. "If there's a rock rolling down, everybody should understand that."[/b]
Because, "Hey. Look Out!" in English with a fingering pointing in the direction of the rock is too hard to figure put for most folks.

Oregon is full of back-handed racism thanks to the left leaning element. The assumption by them is that the typical Hispanic worker is incapable of learning English, or at least enough to survive on the job.

Both Oregon state officials and those in the firefighting business say they do not think there are 'that many' illegal immigrant workers in the fire crews.[/b]
Both Oregon state officials and those in the fire-fighting business don't want any added attention from INS over the large number of undocumented non-US citizens working for the fire crews.

Additionally, there are cases where a crew chief who doesn't speak Russian can also be fired.

BDB

Reaction score
Quote from the article:
However, Manuel did say he felt the situation would improve if everyone spoke English. "We're living here. We should speak the language."[/b]
Ding ding ding, we have a winner!!!!!!

Tank

Reaction score
[attachment=50508:Corleonesons.jpg]

"We gonna make you an offer you can't refuse...English or else..."

Attachments

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
I didn't want to tell this but.
When I worked for Sunsweet in Northern California.
A friend of mine was killed on the job because of a language issue.
They couldn't read the signs.
And he payed for it with his life.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Get used to this crap. L.A. County is spending our tax dollars to send the county service people to spanish class so they can better serve the customers (criminal illegals). How else are they supposed to help the criminal illegals fill out their free welfare, school and medical aid paperwork?

What a country????

chuam

Reaction score
I can understand both sides of this. They are filling their ranks with non-english speakers because there aren't enough english speakers filling the positions. I guess this must be a job americans won't do? For safety wise if you have people who don't speak english then you should be able to communicate with all your workers especially if your life is on the line and those of others. Should they be able to speak english? Yes. A better alternative would be to have crews that speak spanish with a bilingual leader if you are going to hire non-english speakers.

Are all those being hired illegals? I highly doubt it. To be a citizen you need to be able to speak english. To be a legal immigrant there is no such criteria.

foulshot

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chuam @ Mar 24 2008, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I guess this must be a job americans won't do?[/b]
Except the guys that got fired. They just refused to speak a foreign language in their own country.

Me, I'd get a good lawyer. Where is the ACLU???

chuam

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (foulshot @ Mar 24 2008, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chuam @ Mar 24 2008, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Except the guys that got fired. They just refused to speak a foreign language in their own country.

[/b][/quote]

It's a job requirement that was passed down. You follow it or get fired. Simple as that. If a mandate came down from the higher ups that said I needed to be able to speak spanish as well as english for my job. I would learn spanish also. It comes with the territory of keeping your job. If you don't like the mandate then find a new job.

Orygun

Reaction score
. They are filling their ranks with non-english speakers because there aren't enough english speakers filling the positions. I[/b]
Nooooo. It's because of contractors low balling bids for fire suppression. By hiring people that will work for less. It's no different than what happened in construction.

There have always been plenty of folks willing to fight fires. And it used to pay decently. Great work for college kids. Lots of folks did it for the seasonal work.

Up until Oregon passed its version of Real ID, it was one of the easiest places in the country to get an ID illegally. Just show of with your "Consular card" and they give you an Oregon ID. Which you then take to another state and exchange for their ID. You'd go into the Salem Oregon office and 80-90% of the customers were Hispanic. Which was amazing as Salem is 80%+ white. Statistically you'd expect more persons of pallor in there.

Yeah, lots of those guys on those crews are here "legally". They could easily say you have to speak English to be on a crew. Only that's racist. But to have to speak Spanish is not.

Cabowhntr

Reaction score
Last time I checked Chaum.. This was still AMERICA...

Not Flippin Mexico!

And people wonder why they come here in droves

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Yes. A better alternative would be to have crews that speak spanish with a bilingual leader if you are going to hire non-english speakers.[/b]
That sounds good on paper, until the English speaker goes down. Ever wonder why they require all pilots to speaka da English?

For SAFETY!!

Jose pick's up the crew boss' radio and tries to arrange an evac for his injured boss and guess what? Pilots no speaka spanish.

As Oregon points out, this is somebody low balling the bid to save budget. That's all it is.

chuam

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spectr17 @ Mar 24 2008, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Yes. A better alternative would be to have crews that speak spanish with a bilingual leader if you are going to hire non-english speakers.[/b]
That sounds good on paper, until the English speaker goes down. Ever wonder why they require all pilots to speaka da English?

For SAFETY!!

Jose pick's up the crew boss' radio and tries to arrange an evac for his injured boss and guess what? Pilots no speaka spanish.

As Oregon points out, this is somebody low balling the bid to save budget. That's all it is.
[/b][/quote]

I'm a commercial pilot and I understand the need for english speaking. If they feel it is a safety issue then they should mandate the fact that the crews should be able to speak english. When i was flight instructing I saw plenty of guys who had to learn english to fly. There is no law or mandate requiring the firefighters to speak english.

If they are bidding out to contractors then what is the problem? It's capitalism at it's finest.

chuam

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cabowhntr @ Mar 24 2008, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Last time I checked Chaum.. This was still AMERICA...

Not Flippin Mexico!

And people wonder why they come here in droves
[/b]
No kidding but in this job there is obviously no requirement to speak english. I have a feeling if there was a person who only spoke german they would probably have to find a team leader who spoke german. Once again there is no law that says you ahve to speak english if you are here in the US only if you want to become a citizen. Hell, there should be a law that you should be literate but there isn't. Isn't being able to read warning signs an important safety aspect?

If enough people who spoke neglish wanted this job they could probably have all english speaking crews but they don't. I don't know if it's because the pay is less now or whatever the reason is but the fact that they are filling the spots once again shows that americans don't want to do this job so there is a void and the market is filling it. Once again, capitalism at it's finest.

foulshot

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chuam @ Mar 24 2008, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (foulshot @ Mar 24 2008, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chuam @ Mar 24 2008, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

It's a job requirement that was passed down. You follow it or get fired. Simple as that. If a mandate came down from the higher ups that said I needed to be able to speak spanish as well as english for my job. I would learn spanish also. It comes with the territory of keeping your job. If you don't like the mandate then find a new job.

[/b][/quote]

I believe it's a requirement that OSHA has all MSDS sheets printed in English, that you should speak English. I guess that safety doesn't matter.

Sometimes I think you argue just for the sake of arguing. It's sophmoric at best.

Tank

Reaction score
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but, I don't believe that English is the official language of the USA. I mean we take for granted that English is the accepted language in this country.

I think that a mandate should be passed making English the official language of the USA. Then this crap might stop.

Top Bottom