Inconsistant bolt Flight Lumenok?

Brnsvllyjohn

I just picked up 3 new Lumenoks today for my Excalibur bolts and the results while shooting were poor at best. Has anyone else had any experience with Lumenoks in a crossbow? I fist thought it was just poor shooting but then I shot really well with the other bolts. One Lumenok bolt shoots pretty well, the other 2 are not good but I will play with them some more tomorrow.

JustGuy

Banned
I have experience with arrows. No problem at all. At least i did not notice.
My friend shoots crossbow and also never complained

Brnsvllyjohn

I shot a few groups this morning and they shot a lot better today. Still not as good as the normal bolts but almost. The only thing I can think of is when I was turning them off by pulling the Lumenok back slightly maybe it was not straight. I am very careful now and pull the light back just enough to turn it off and that is less than the thickness of me fingernail. Yesterday I was pulling it back enough to comfortably get my thumb nail between the light and the end of the shaft. I am also spinning the bolt in my hand to make sure the Lumenok doesn't wobble. I have no idea if it wobbled yesterday or not since I just pulled them out and shot again. I get better groups if I do not turn the light off between shots so that would indicate that the slight movement of the insert may create an issue. Not sure I am on the right track but I am now shooting about a 4" group at 50 with the broad heads so way better than yesterday. I still have a few days to work on it but if I get more fliers or if they are all inconsistent in the next few days I probably will not hunt with them. I do number all of my bolts so I know which ones tend to shoot better than others and one is pretty good. If my problem is solved then I will use them. Before I would see about half the bolts hit the target and now I see them clearly all the way to the target.

mattador96

I also shoot an excalibur crossbow. I have the bulldog 400. On other models I used the flat back lumenock and got inconsistent flight. If you want the very best in accuracy put a trigger tech trigger in and get some custom arrows from Jerry at south shore archery supply

Brnsvllyjohn

I also shoot an excalibur crossbow. I have the bulldog 400. On other models I used the flat back lumenock and got inconsistent flight. If you want the very best in accuracy put a trigger tech trigger in and get some custom arrows from Jerry at south shore archery supply
Thanks for the info. You are the only other person who has talked specifically about the flat back Excalibur type inserts. I guess I will try to figure out where South Shore Archery Supply is.

Brnsvllyjohn

Thanks for the info mattador96 I just called Jerry and I learned a lot. I will be ordering some bolts very soon and he is very helpful with some tips on how to possibly get my Firebolts to shoot a little better. Really good guy to talk to.

Last edited:

Brnsvllyjohn

Ok I think I am ready to hunt and I have a little more confidence in the Lumenoks now. After talking to Jerry and he made some recommendations for testing the spine on my existing Firebolts and making sure the little contact wires on the light are exactly level or horizontal so if there was a weight difference it would be the same with all of my bolts. For those of you that don't know Excalibur states that you do not need a cock vane and their insert in the back of the bolt is simply a flat surface. You can put any vane down you want. I build fishing rods so I understand how to check a round tube for spine. I went through my 2 dozen Firebolts and found a few that the spine was lined up to use one particular vane as the cock vane with the flex in the bolt being from 12 - 6 o'clock. I also set up a jig to square the end of the plastic Lumenok. Mine were uneven and a little rough. My first 6 shots this morning after doing all of this hit a 3" bull at 50 and the one that missed was barely off so about a 4" group at 50. I can do a little better than that with the factory nock but not much.
Maybe this will help some of you that shoot an Excalibur but it doesn't mean a lot to those that shoot any other brand of crossbow. I still will buy my next dozen bolts from Jerry since everything will have the correct spine orientation when they get here. My other option is to remove the vanes from some of my existing bolts and get them set up for the correct spine orientation. By the way a buddy that shoots an Excalibur says all of this worry about the correct spine on an Excalibur is overthinking it. The Excalibur bolts do not need a cock vane or the factory would use one. Well each to his own.

inchr48

What grain broadhead are you shooting? It may be possible that the heavier nock end of your arrow with the Lumenoks, changed your Front of Center (FOC) % enough to affect accuracy. Maybe you could try the next heavier version of your head to get the FOC back up. Sounds like you are "minute of deer" but for me, greater accuracy = greater confidence.

Brnsvllyjohn

Right now I am shooting Magnus Stinger 125 gr. They shoot really well with the factory bolts and get good reviews as far sharpness and durability. I have no way to weigh the Lumenoks accurately enough to compare the weight to the insert that was removed (balance beam maybe). By the way if you are installing the Lumenoks on your own I can not stress enough how clean the inside of the shaft needs to be to get a decent electrical connection for those tiny wire contacts. ANY old glue residue and they will not light up. I know others like the 150 gr. heads for these crossbows but I can shoot better groups than any one else I know that uses other products and like you said inchr48 better accuracy= better confidence. I told my son 40 yards and in I will have no issues with the Lumenoks but over 40 I most likely will use an original bolt with the metal factory insert. That is why I will order bolts that are better built than what I have now. I can try my buddies 150 gr broad heads and see if it matters at all or pick up some 150 gr. target points to try those also. My total bolt weight right now with the 125 gr. heads is 393 (according to the research) and Excalibur states no less than 350 total weight for my bow so I am good there. My listed bolt speed is 330 but that is with a bolt that weighs a little less so I am thinking around 310+- but that doesn't matter a whole lot as long as my sites are set correctly for the bolts I shoot. I did change to a scope this year (I had previously been shooting pins with a peep sight) and the scope has aiming points to 50 yards. It has tightened my groups some but not a lot. I purchased the Excalibur because I can maintain it easily (not a compound bow) they are supposed to be really durable and idiot proof. Not the fastest but if I can hit a 4" circle every time at 50 I am a happy guy. I have tried the faster Excaliburs and I cannot cock them even with a rope cocking pulley system. I don't want to buy the winch system. Even with my bow I can only load it 10-12 times per session using the pulley system before I have to stop. Fortunately I shoot in my back yard and I have room to shoot to 70 yards but I practice at 50 mostly. 70 is too far for my set up but some of the guys I hunt with have 70 yard pins on their compound bows. Their full length arrows do not drop off the table past 50 yards like my 20" bolts do.

Brnsvllyjohn

I did not order any bolts from Jerry until after the deer season last year. I have been shooting both the Excalibur brand bolts and the ones from Jerry this year. Jerry's are better. Shooting more consistent groups does wonders for your confidence.

Top Bottom