• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Indiana State Park Deer Reduction Applications Available

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Indiana State Park Deer Reduction Applications Available

7/6/09

Applications for participation in state park deer reductions are available at www.indianaoutdoor.in.gov. Two reduction efforts will be held-Nov. 16-17 and Nov. 30-Dec. 1. Application deadline for both is Aug. 28.

State park deer reductions are held specifically to reduce the ecological impact from white-tailed deer in certain state parks. Details are available in the 2009-2010 Indiana Hunting and Trapping Guide, available at retail stores and at www.IN.gov/dnr/fishwild/2343.htm/. Potential applicants should review details in the guide before applying.

Biologists evaluate which parks require a reduction each year based on floral recovery and previous hunter success. The state parks are home to more than 32 state-endangered plants. The reductions help maintain browsing by deer to a level that helps ecosystems recover throughout the state parks.

State parks conducting reductions with firearms are Chain O'Lakes, Charlestown, Harmonie, Lincoln, Ouabache, Pokagon, Potato Creek, Prophetstown, Shades, Shakamak, Spring Mill, Tippecanoe River, Turkey Run, Versailles and Whitewater Memorial.

State parks conducting reductions with archery are Fort Harrison and Clifty Falls.

Marty Benson, assistant director of communications, (317) 233-3853; cell (317) 696-9812

crustyde

Had a buddy shoot Tippecanoe in 99 or '00. he spent more time walking to his stand than hunting. The deer use to be pretty tame in the parks. During the season i would get a kick out of all the guys stacked up against 35 just to the west of Tippecanoe.

inchr48

I think Winnamac F&W is across Hwy 35 from the State Park.

I drew the 11/16-17 hunt. 3 deer, either sex, don't count against any seasonal limits.

inchr48

Shot this "Spork" 9:10 AM Monday morning, then could have shot two other bucks with larger racks. (Only 1 antlered deer allowed on the 2 day hunt.) I put a brief write up in the Whitetail Forum.

I never saw a doe while in the stand, and 3 out of 5 deer I saw being hauled out were bucks.

Two days of rain, on/off on Tuesday. It wasn't real cold tho', so wasn't all that bad.

I'll probably apply again next year. Saves me from culling a "meat deer" from the herd I hunt around home. Plus, gives me the chance at taking more than 1 buck for the season.

Attachments

Top Bottom