INFRARED PHOTOS

whitetailfan

Reaction score
I have been thinking about trying the IR film cuz I saw the idea on Jesse's site. I like the thought of NO FLASH at all. I was wondering if anyone here has tried it yet and if so, what kind of results did they get. Does anyone have any pics to show?? If no one has tried it, I think I'll make that my next cam project. I think it would be neat. Any suggestions??

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Besides all that, how come you don't use IR ! ! ! ha ha, just kidding

I moved the Text to Random Thoughts since this will be of interest to others

Tinhorn

INshedpicker

Reaction score
Let's not forget that Curtiss has been working of IR video.  Where's he been lately anyway???

Archilochus

Reaction score
I'll add this info from a very knowledgable contributor to the sci.electronics.design newsgroup. (Sir Charles Shultz III is his user name).
>>>>>
A simple infrared illuminator can be made from colored plexigals - layer pieces of blue and red.  Use an automotive bulb with a lower voltage or a current limit resistor.  Get it so you can just barely see the filament glow.  He claims this will provide near IR "light" for CCD cams and other IR photography.
<<<<<
I have never tried this.  If it works, you could kill the built in flash and have the IR illuminator light up just before a pic is taken - then turn off.  I suppose a powerful array of IR LEDs could do the same job.

Still have all those film problems though....

Archilochus

Bunnybuster

Reaction score
Seems to me that a digital camera with the flash disabled & replaced with an IR illuminator may be worth trying.  If only I had the time & money.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Bunnybuster, I think you're on to something there. I know the IR illuminators like on the Game-Vu camera have a circular arrray of IR lights.

Archilochus

Reaction score
The digital / IR illuminator might work - depends on the specific model digital cam.  There is lots of good info on this subject on the 'net.  Search "digital camera" and infrared or IR or infra red.

Good Luck!,
Archilochus

Archilochus

Reaction score
Don't have any specifics on the "known" digitals.  One important bit that the cam needs is to NOT have an IR filter  between the lens and the CCD sensor.  Many cams have some sort of IR filter - some don't, or have minimal filtering.

Here's a couple links that explain some of the things to look for in a digital cam for use in IR photography:
http://www.echeng.com/photo/infrared/
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/

Maybe ask DB, Brian, or HillHopper to test out some of their cams as described in those sites.

Archilochus

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
One thing they keep talking about is the long exposure time. This could be a drawback when using IR with wildlife. Attaching a filter to my coolpix would be a piece of cake, attaching one to my Camedia D370 trailcam sounds like it would be a royal pain in the butt. Not sure of the fesability.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
I think it will come down to the light source.  All the references in the articals are about taking IR pictures in the daylight.  The filters they rerfer to filter out the nornal light and you are left with just the IR light.  I tried to take a few last night using my sony nightshot light and the s200 wouldnt pick up any thing.   It will pick up the source when pointed directly at the camcorder but it is really dim.  The artical talks about most digitals having a built in IR filter.

On a "brighter" note I took a few pictures last night with the s200 at 30, 40, 50, 60 feet.  The camers performed best when using the ISO fixed setting of 400 as opposed to the auto setting or the Long shutter mode.  The camera will save most all the user settings on powerup so it can be set where you want it.  I wouls post some of them but I had the camera in Black and white mode by accident.  I will do it again tonight and post some to look at.  Ill dig out some old horns just foy fun.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Wow! 60 feet without a slave flash - that's great!  Sounds like the digital cam to go with.

Archilochus

Top Bottom