• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Inreach

ltdann

Anybody use any device that has Inreach satellite communication capablity. If so, could you talk about it a bit, pros cons etc. vs sat phone.

dthome

I’ve used both Inreach and SPOT. The SPOT device is cheaper than the Inreach device, but the Inreach subscription is much cheaper (especially with monthly plan). The big advantage of Inreach is the ability to send and receive custom text messages. SPOT only allows pre-programmed messages, like “I’m fine, but will be home late.” Imagine being out in the backcountry, getting bit by a rattlesnake, and being able to tell first responders that you need antivenom. And they can respond with instructions. Inreach is a superior product.

ltdann

Thanks, in planning stage of DIY drop camp caribou hunt. the transporter prefers inreach for coms over satetillet phone. Don't know why, but I'll try and do what he wants.

dustin ray

I have both inreach and sat and use both
The inreach is nice you can tex to a dif Inreach i will leave one back at camp to communicate and one for a hunting partner
you can also get the app on your phone and tex on your phone to the inreach
the Inreach payment plans are are fare and easy to use
Sat phones are good when someone needs to here your voice but not cheap and its a good backup

ltdann

I'll look into a rental plan for inreach. Any particular brand...garmin I'm guessing?

dthome

Inreach is Garmin’s specific satellite beacon product. Other satellite beacons include SPOT and ACR products.

Bubblehide

Inreach has a lot of features that make sense. Granted a Sat phone may be optimal. But when you think about all the possible scenarios that could possibly happen, the InReach may make the most sense. What I mean is that lets just say you were unfortunate enough to get attacked by say a bear, and you were unable to speak. A Sat phone would have very limited use in such a scenario. Although your location could be pinpointed, in such a case that is all the information that could be obtained with some units. The Inreach, under the SOS feature automatically tells first responders that you need immediate assistance, and your exact location. If you can type, you can still communicate your situation and needs. IMNSHO, the InReach does everything you will need. You can pair it with your guides InReach and the guide can track you (keep in on you), you can notify your guide of any needs, such as an early pick-up so meat does not spoil (you do not want to violate the AK regulations on this one)... And, it's much more affordable than a Sat phone.

I use mine to keep my wife at ease when I am in the middle of nowhere. but have yet to need it for any emergency situation. But I could have used it for another party a couple years before I got it.

ltdann

Ahhh, pairing with transporter! That's why he said he preferred inreach. If I need a meat pickup, and send it inreach, he'll immediately know which party to fly too. Makes sense.

mischief209

You can find the older model "delorme inreach" for about 200. Works just as good as the newest model "Garmin Inreach. They both do the same things. I use the delorme inreach myself. I'm on the freedom plan that allows you to turn the service off when your not useing it. They charge 25 a yr for this service and then I buy there 14.99 plan and only activate it Sept and October. The plan I'm on only gives 10 text messages with every message after costing 50cents. I just pay the overage instead of going up to the next package that includes 30 messages I think. So I save money in the end because the 50cents it cost after the allowed 10 is cheaper then that next package up. Life saver of a device. Even something as a twisted ankle where your having trouble getting out but not enough need for a helicopter you can relay and talk back and forth with emergency services. I would buy one before I rented one. You will find uses for the inreach every year. Even if it's a honey I made it or for me the more important part is the family can reach me at anytime incase of emergency. I also take mine on fishing trips.

Last edited:

Top Bottom