Insert glue

SDHNTR

Reaction score
What do you guys use? I've tried several types and have not found a glue I'm totally happy with. I've either had the inserts pop loose and pull out over time or had the glue never harden well in the first place. Next up will be regular hardware store 5 min epoxy.

2rocky

Reaction score
You and I are in the same boat SD...

I'll let you know if I find anything that's the Cat's AZZ....

Oregon Archer

Reaction score
the best stuff ive used is the 2 part epoxy that comes with Easton Axis shafts. only downside is it takes 24 hours to cure but the stuff holds incredibly well. never seen an insert lost while using that stuff.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Sounds good but I'd rather use some faster setting stuff if possible.

BDB

Reaction score
I used the yellow hotmelt in aluminum shafts but in carbon I just use goat tuff. I have lost a few but not many so it works well enough to keep using it for me.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I've lost a bunch using Goat Tuff. It works fine until you hit something hard, like the neighbor's fence.

Here's the problem. My local range has large bales backed by thick belted rubber. Sometimes I'll hit a spot on th bale where the arrow goes all the way through and lodges in the rubber backing. You have to pull like hell to get it out. Most of the time you pull and pull and get an insertless arrow back. I've also been practicing with broadheads and had one stick in my target. Then I'll shoot a field point arrow right in behind it to check tune. On a couple occaisions the field point arrow has hit the broadhead burried deep in the target. This knocks the insert out of the first arrow and leaves the broadhead connected to the insert left inside the target. It sucks because not only do I lose a broadhead but others will get all beat up when using that spot on the target as they hit the one buried inside.

dwagoner

Reaction score
SD saw ur thread on AT also, what arrows you having problems with? is it a few different of just a specific brand? Kinda sucks i know for sure as ive used the same setup with thick rubber backing but ive never had an insert break loose, WELL i have but its from hitting stuff harder than neighbors wood fence, like rocks or brick LOL.

richardoutwest

Reaction score
Nate, what I found on some of the shafts, the inside wall is slik and needs to be roughed up a tad. Since I have done this, I have not had any problems. (?)

brave52000

Reaction score
For about the last year we have been using Gorilla Glue on all our inserts. Between my dad and I we have done six dozen arrows and have yet to have one insert come out. We also use the PSE inserts that come with the arrows, and these inserts don't even come close to gluing in as well as some other companies inserts. We figure that the way Gorilla Glue expands, a really secure grip is created between shaft and insert. We always rough up the inside of the arrow, then using a water soaked q-tip, run it into the arrow to give the Gorilla Glue something to react with. Then we roll the insert in the glue and push it in, wiping the excess glue like you would with any other insert glue.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I have had ok results with the Pine Ridge cyano stuff, but have never lost an insert with the Bohning Powerbond or Gorilla Glue, but is an art to not get it everywhere.

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
Goat Tuff. I clean with 90% alcohol and Q Tips. I will not say never, but I rarely have a insert come loose. Ed F

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I use a clean brass rifle brush to rough up the inside of the shaft. Then I use a qtip with alcohol to clean, then I let dry. I've busted a few loose with both the Pine Ridge cyano stuff and Goat Tuff, actually quite a few with the Goat Tuff. It's not like it happens all the time but definitely more often than I'd like.

How long does it take Gorrila Glue to set up and cure?

brave52000

Reaction score
The Gorilla Glue says it takes 1-2 hours to get to an 80% cure, and 24 hours to get to a 100% cure. I shot a 3d tournament after 6 hours and didn't have any problems.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I plan on 24 hours even with cyano stuff.

One change with the usual SOP from cyano stuff when you try Gorilla Glue is to ensure it is standing on end when curing, that stuff can push an insert out a tad as it swells.

If you have never used that stuff before, or not much, play with some wood pieces and see how much it swells and the clean up involved.

I would say set aside a few hours to check on the inserts as it swells and be prepared to clean it up as it starts swelling after mock up.

Also I have never done it, but would imagine if you put too much it would swell into the backside of the insert.

I also hear it makes a great string wax.

Top Bottom