Installing the RS 274-245 stereo jack

glen71

Reaction score
I tried for an hour to fit the 3-conductor sub-mini jack (274-245) onto the Owl PF viewfinder shroud - no luck! There is only one place the jack body will fit, but it hits a resistor on the camera board and prevents the viewfinder shroud from snapping back on. After destroying one jack and enlarging the hole I drilled three different times, I gave up and will install a phone cord next to the shutter button. Just wondered if anyone else had this problem, or if I am just inept (possibility).

Strutter

Reaction score
Have had no problem using the RS 3/32 speaker jack.  I have been putting them on the left side of the viewfinder that you look through.  This is the only place I found that they would fit.  I use ribbon cable from the jack to the circuit board.  It works great and you can use the camera as a camera any time you want.

Strutter  

glen71

Reaction score
That's exactly what I wanted to do but can see no way to make it work. The inside of the shroud is not real flat, and the threaded barrel of the jack just barely extended through the hole far enough to start the nut. I tried bending the wire terminals to make it clear the camera board, but no luck. Oh well, I'm over it now.

dharter

Reaction score
I am getting ready to buy another owl date PF and put in a stereo jack so that I can use a refresh circuit.  If anyone has installed a stereo jack in the owl pf date, I would like to know where you purchased the stereo jack.  The size of the jacks may vary depending on where you buy them.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I may have goofed on this. I used a stereo jack I had and I'm not sure where it came from, it was in my spare parts box. I found some more at the local electronics store, but I haven't looked to see if these will fit yet. It is a tight fit and you have to drill the hole just right, but if the jack you have is physically too big where the contacts are it won't work.

The stereo sub mini jack I used was what they call an open case jack, nothing around the contacts. The closed case jacks are bigger because they have the contacts enclosed in a plastic housing and then have the contacts sticking out of the housing.

dharter

Reaction score
I have searched a few electronic supply companies and I have not found a subminiature stero plug.  It seems that all stereo jacks are 3.5mm.  I searched Jameco, All Electronics and Digi-key.  You proabably need a subminature 2.5mm jack to fit inside the owl.
Is there room for 2 subminiature mono jacks on the owl pf date?  Maybe I could use one for the refresh and one for the shutter.

hamiltoe

Reaction score
I tried a 2.5 mm stereo jack on my Owl PF.  I got it from Radio Shack.  I'm not sure of the part number, but it is too large.  I tried to mount it to the left of the view finder.  As I put it together, I pushed too hard and shoved the resistor against the transistor on the board for the flash unit.  Needless to say sparks flew and the camera died!  After getting a new camera, I ended up putting a mono type 2.5 mm jack.  I ended up mounting it to the right of the view finder.  There is a small cavity under the LCD display that makes a good spot away from high voltage.  I'm thinking about trying one from Mouser electronics.  The part number is:  161-7000.  It looks like it might be small enough to fit under the cavity...

(Edited by hamiltoe at 6:23 pm on Sep. 1, 2001)

Strutter

Reaction score
RS 274-292A  This is the part number for the 3/32 female speaker jack that will fit nicely on the left side of the viewfinder of the PF cam.  I will post a pic when I get picture of cam.

Strutter

glen71

Reaction score
Spectr17 - Yeah, the one I bought is a "closed case" jack with a rectangular plastic body. I even tried filing the corners off to make it fit. I feel better knowing that it's not just me. I'll use the one that Strutter suggested on my next cam. Thanks for the response, guys.

hamiltoe

Reaction score
I couldn't find the 274-292A at radio shack's web site.  All I could find is the 274-292.  Am I looking at the correct one?  

The description for the 274-292 says it's a 2-conductor meaning it's mono.  That means you can't use a refresh pulse.  But, I guess it would work OK for the Owl PF.

Strutter

Reaction score
274-292A is correct.  I am installing one now.  It is a two-conductor Sub Mini phone jack.  3/32 (2.5mm)
Closed circuit type.  

Strutter

DelMar

Reaction score
What are you guys using to plug into this? I would like to mount one of these for a cleaner look and also use my Cam for other things. Would a 3/22" (2.5mm) Mono Plug work?

glen71

Reaction score
Yes it will. If you wire up the 3-wire jack as described in Jesse's instructions, the 2-wire mono plug will short the autofocus and shutter wires when you plug it into the jack.

Strutter

Reaction score
We have been using the RS 274-243  3/32 right angle male plug.  This plug is right angled and fits better in the box that we are using.  We use the RS hobby box.

Strutter

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I asked a RS salesman why some part numbers had an "a" after them and he said because RS shops around and when they get a different brand than before they add the "a"

DelMar

Reaction score
I got my mono jack installed today. Put it to the right of the view finder, works great there. Also, the 90 degree plug fits nice in my box. After looking at how nice it looked I had a thought. Why not make up another cable, say 20 foot long with a momentary switch. When I take a nice deer I never have anyone near me to take a pic of ME and the DEER. I used the bottom threaded hole in the cam and made a mount to screw into a tree. This way  after I take that Monster Buck this year, I can take my cam mount it to a tree. Hook up my 20' cable and take a pic of me and the buck together. Sorry for going on so long, but I wanted to share my success with you guys.

horndog

Reaction score
will the RS 274-292A Submini phone jack work on the AF model owls and where would you suggest putting it? I haven't opened mine up yet and was wanting to know a good location that it will fit into. Any comments?

treestandman

Reaction score
The Radio Shack stereo jack will fit--but just barely, and it required some modification to the jack body and the camera shroud with a motor tool to give it room. Thin out and flatten the inside of the shroud and carve off the corners of the jack. A piece of pvc electrical tape on the back of the jack helps avoid shorts on the camera circuit board when assembled.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Radio Shack has the stereo sub mini jack only. Why they don't have the stereo sub mini plug to fit is a mystery. I found the package of the stereo sub mini plug I used, it was made by a company called Propart. No address or website listed or found in a Internet search, sorry.

Top Bottom